is hide glue really made from animal hides? (vegan concerns) and other questions.

DiBiaso

Reaction score
although i am completely in love with my '13 traditional, i am always on the lookout for the "next step" in my guitar collection. i was thinking an r8 would be the logical next step, but am concerned about the hide glue used in it. i am a die hard vegan (for animal welfare reasons), so hide glue would be unacceptable to me. does this mean the traditional is the end of the line in my quest of les paul greatness? if so, that's fine... it is a marvelous guitar!

other options for "something different" don't seem as appealing-
les paul standard- more of a horizontal move, not really much of an upgrade.
les paul custom- mostly visual upgrade. although i do love them in natural finishes.

heck, i might have to go in an entirely different direction and set my sights on an es-335 or firebird next :dude:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Just so you know, no animals are slaughtered in the process. Hide glue is usually made from the hides of animals (horses) that have died of natural causes.

Plus, there are plenty of less "historically-accurate", older model RIs, that are glued with Franklin Tite-Bond. But, FYI, they ALSO make/sell liquid hide glue, so unless you're "that type" of vegan (who refuses to by products from companies that deal in these types of products), you're pretty much SOL.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hide glue wasn't used on Historics until 2013, so you can get an older R8.

DiBiaso

Reaction score
Just so you know, no animals are slaughtered in the process. Hide glue is usually made from the hides of animals (horses) that have died of natural causes.

Plus, there are plenty of less "historically-accurate", older model RIs, that are glued with Franklin Tite-Bond. But, FYI, they ALSO make/sell liquid hide glue, so unless you're "that type" of vegan (who refuses to by products from companies that deal in these types of products), you're pretty much SOL.

thanks for the info. i try really hard not to be "that type" of vegan (and especially not the type that passes judgement on anyone else... militant vegans do more to harm the cause than help it) :cool:

also realize that in modern society, there is really no way to avoid animal byproducts indirectly.

i just try to avoid contact with animal products as much as possible, no matter how the product was obtained. the that leaves one more R8 for the rest of you guys to snap up :naughty:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i try really hard not to be "that type" of vegan (and especially not the type that passes judgement on anyone else... militant vegans do more to harm the cause than help it) :cool:

also realize that in modern society, there is really no way to avoid animal byproducts indirectly.

i just try to avoid contact with animal products as much as possible, no matter how the product was obtained. the that leaves one more R8 for the rest of you guys to snap up :naughty:
I can respect that.

As previously mentioned, try finding an older model. There are literally thousands to choose from.

Good luck, and happy hunting.:thumb:

DiBiaso

Reaction score
I can respect that.

As previously mentioned, try finding an older model. There are literally thousands to choose from.

Good luck, and happy hunting.:thumb:

thanks! it will probably be a while... right now the top ones on my radar are a special junior (either cherry or yellow) and a decent acoustic (really giving the martin custom d a serious consideration).

so many cool guitars out there, and only about 50 years left of my lifespan (if i'm lucky) to acquire them all ;)

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just think if they used HYDE glue. Bad fir everyone.

DanL

Reaction score
If they used my hide to build an R8 after I died I wouldn't mind. Just saying.

edselman

Reaction score
Hide glue is just really thick Jello.

Ryan Givhan

Reaction score
I am an animal lover, i like being around my dog more than any person on the planet. that being said, people have been killing animals for food since the beginning of man kind. I dont think eating meat is cruel. i think there is a food chain for a reason. are other carnivorous animals cruel? because thats all we are, carnivorous animals. we are just smart enough to not chase our food down and kill it with our teeth.

On to the hide glue. that doesnt fit into killing for food, so i understand not wanting to use it if you dont have to. now learning that it is made from horses that died from something unrelated to the glue itself, i see no reason to boycott it.

all of this stuff considered if you still dont want to buy a guitar made with hide glue i totally understand, and thats just more great guitars for us!

DanL

Reaction score
Seriously I'm not knocking your dedication to veganism but if some good could come from an animal (not to mention a guitar lasts a lifetime!) then I'd say it's better to use it then let it rot into the ground and become worm food. There is no honor in preservation of the dead if they can help the living, in my opinion. Take my organs, blood, whatever you want. I don't need anything but a 6ft hole when I'm gone.

obeymydog

Reaction score
I am an animal lover, i like being around my dog more than any person on the planet. that being said, people have been killing animals for food since the beginning of man kind. I dont think eating meat is cruel. i think there is a food chain for a reason. are other carnivorous animals cruel? because thats all we are, carnivorous animals. we are just smart enough to not chase our food down and kill it with our teeth.

I'm not vegan but as I understand it much of the concern over meat eating from vegetarians and vegans stems from the conditions under which "factory" style livestock raising and slaughtering occurs (which accounts for how almost all meat in supermarkets is produced). So a reasonable reply might be that eating meat isn't intrinsically cruel but the cramped, disease-ridden conditions of factory farms are.

Of course there are many reasons people make those choices but the one above I can understand pretty readily. Many of my good friends are hunters, and their respect for the animals they kill and eat has led some of them to avoid mass produced meat for the same reason. Also antibiotic resistance and weird added hormones, which is a whole 'nother topic :wow:

DiBiaso

Reaction score

On to the hide glue. that doesnt fit into killing for food, so i understand not wanting to use it if you dont have to. now learning that it is made from horses that died from something unrelated to the glue itself, i see no reason to boycott it.

all of this stuff considered if you still dont want to buy a guitar made with hide glue i totally understand, and thats just more great guitars for us!

i get what you are saying, and i am certainly not trying to convert anyone. like i said, i am not "that type" of vegan. :hmm:

my view is that though we have evolved into meat eaters over thousands of years due to necessity (lack of available food), this isn't the case any more. i am able to have a completely healthy diet (full of protein) without any animal products. if i can live my life without causing the suffering of an animal, that is the path that is right for me personally. i also realize that it is not the path for everyone.

we are all cool in my book :dude:

DiBiaso

Reaction score
Seriously I'm not knocking your dedication to veganism but if some good could come from an animal (not to mention a guitar lasts a lifetime!) then I'd say it's better to use it then let it rot into the ground and become worm food. There is no honor in preservation of the dead if they can help the living, in my opinion. Take my organs, blood, whatever you want. I don't need anything but a 6ft hole when I'm gone.

this is a great point. i am still not comfortable with the idea, but can't really argue with your logic.

DiBiaso

Reaction score
one more thing... i really want to thank all of you for being so respectful to me about this. you have presented some great arguments without attacking me in any way. usually when i mention to someone that i am a vegan, the response is largely negative in telling me i am wrong for living my life this way, etc., etc.

really a great bunch of guys here... i'd be happy to buy any of you a beer!

Otto tune

Reaction score
Yeah, like losing their last race. JK :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm an animal lover too, and choose to not hunt, but that's another story. I wear leather shoes, I eat meat, and so I think it would be a waste to not use all the products nature provides.
I wouldn't feel any better if the hide was thrown away.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
It really is a shame that the militant vegetarians/vegans have created such a backlash. Nealy every mention by a vegan/vegetarian typically brings a response from meat eaters from mild justification, to even intentional and brazen flaunting of carnivorous ways. I was taught vegan diet by a militant, so I experienced the out spoken judgmental nature of both sides of the issue. Like the OP I go out of my way to be non judgmental, as no one diet or lifestyle is suitable for everyone.

No matter how considerate we are, eyes still roll and it still a very tense situation when out in public and asking food service people about ingredients in order to avoid the hidden animal products, such as OP is doing here. Often times there are animal broths as bases for many dishes that appear to not include the meaty bits.

I appreciate the civil nature with which OP's question was met so far, thanks guys.

Achysklic

Reaction score
To the OP kudos and still too your beliefs....

My dream guitar was always a Eric Johnson Stratocaster, I was just about to pick one up and noticed the kokopelli on the neckplate.

My religious beliefs, I refuse to own a guitar that has or ever has had a pagan god on it.....so I understand where you are coming from.

Latest Threads