Is Gibson Still don Made 2 Measure?

jw3571

Reaction score
Is this still something that Gibson is still doing? Does anyone know how long it takes to get a custom LP?

Reactions: C-4

OBLP

Reaction score
Ordered one about a month ago. Looking at next April for it to be done according to shop. That is ML though so I’m not sure sure if they are on the same schedule or not.

DanD

Reaction score
I'd say a year is closer to the wait time.

Last edited:

jonithen eff

Reaction score
I ordered mine April 2020 and had it in hand first week of Feb 2021, original quote was approximately 6 months but I get it, COVID screwed everything up. No complaints - it came out exactly as I envisioned and I couldn't be happier.

goldtop0

Reaction score
You can order a M2M through a dealer for sure however it'll be 12 months plus at least from what I know.
Ordered mine in July 2020 and expect delivery in August, however I'm not holding my breath......could be longer.

Socrates

Reaction score
Heck I just ordered a new pickup truck and have to wait 5-6 months for it lol..C19 has messed up everything

C-4

Reaction score
Is this still something that Gibson is still doing? Does anyone know how long it takes to get a custom LP?
I ordered in March, a M2M '59 ML ES-355, and was told a 10-12 month wait.

jw3571

Reaction score
Is pricing way higher than buying a stock one? What do dealers require, do you have to pay half up front?

Reactions: C-4

C-4

Reaction score
Is pricing way higher than buying a stock one? What do dealers require, do you have to pay half up front?
I bought this latest custom shop Gibson through my local GC. I didn't have to put anything up front as I traded in a guitar. However, you need to check with your local dealer or whomever you purchase one through. The upfront may be about 20% for the cost of the guitar.

The cost of a M2M is not something I can reply to as each M2M will have it's own price attached to it depending on what options you want. Some options may be more then others.

Custom Shop Gibsons start at high prices to begin with, but the upgraded M2M changes you want from the base mode are not unfair or unreasonably high. Some are high for what they offer, but the main things are not.

As an example, I was thinking of changing the tuners to Kluson waffleback tuners from the stock Grovers that come on that model. I was quoted a $400 upcharge. I believe this high price is because they would have to change out the stock tuner holes to accommodate the Klusons. While this doesn't sound like it should cost that much, the custom shop does certain specific things to the guitars during production, and this would mean pulling a neck off the line and assigning someone to do the work, which slows them down, and therefore takes a worker away from his regular job. I decided to leave the stock Grovers on the guitar a a result.

I hope this answers your question. :)

jonithen eff

Reaction score
Best plan would be to have your wish list put together, and maybe try 2 or 3 dealers to see what they can do for you. I'm extremely happy with the pricing my dealer worked out for me; but I've ordered some other higher priced items from them before so there's the customer history thing and I bet another big part of that was the timing. They probably weren't getting many high ticket requests in early Spring last year so I'm sure that worked in my favor. That said, expect delays. Every "custom" project I've ever put in for has run over for time. If it gets there in the window they promise consider it a bonus and just go in assuming it'll take longer.

I don't want to cut anyone's knees out from under them especially after feeling very taken care of, but the M2M I got was not "way higher" in any sense. I feel like I got every dollar they asked for.

They did 30% down to lock in the order, with the rest paid on receipt at the shop.

Obviously I only have 1, so I can't say whether it's a representative example or whatever, but this thing is awesome. All the stars lined up for this one.

Latest Threads