Is Gibson deliberately playing with us?

Has this situation caused you to think about making a new purchase?

• Yes. I want to make sure I get one while I can

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • No. I don't think there is any need for concern

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • It does not matter I am all about the used market

Votes: 38 46.9%

• Total voters

tonemonster58

Reaction score
With all these rumors floating around about the well known financial woes and possible bankruptcy of Gibson, I can't help but think that their lack of answers is just a tactic to cause a rush of sales. Without giving the public some direct info as to their direction and possible solutions, it seems it has fired a bit of desperation buying from people that may not be ready to make that purchase based on the speculation that it may not be possible to do so in the very near future. Add to this the limited supply of decent traditional tonewoods to create the classics and you have a perfect storm. Blood is in the water and the sharks are gathering.

While I do not believe that the guitar making division of Gibson will be going away anytime soon, it is my opinion that they are remaining closed mouthed on purpose to fuel increased sales in an overly saturated market without reducing prices. Not illegal but not quite ethical either.

Just curious if anyone else has opinions regarding this situation and what they might be.

Sinster

Reaction score
When was the last time you've seen 48 month no interest on Gibson from all the major players. Last year all of them were offering it. So I'm pretty sure that this is some kind of truth to the financial woes. Also not sure how how much if any influence Gibson had on all these etailers offering 48 0%.

chasenblues

Reaction score
I can't help but think that their lack of answers is just a tactic to cause a rush of sales. Without giving the public some direct info as to their direction and possible solutions,
They are a privately held company,They don't have to give the public any details of their financial direction or possible solutions.

Roxy13

Reaction score
When was the last time you've seen 48 month no interest on Gibson from all the major players. Last year all of them were offering it. So I'm pretty sure that this is some kind of truth to the financial woes. Also not sure how how much if any influence Gibson had on all these etailers offering 48 0%.
I bought my SG that way. Why not? I can definitely afford $28 a month.

ido1957

Reaction score
No, I don't believe it's a tactic. They probably hope like hell everyone will panic and buy stock (guitars), but that's a pipe dream. It'll be interesting to see what happens but I'm not dwelling on it. I have more important things to ponder.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I highly doubt any of this is done to push panic sales. Pretty stupid of them if they did.

No, I don't believe it's a tactic. They probably hope like hell everyone will panic and buy stock (guitars), but that's a pipe dream. It'll be interesting to see what happens but I'm not dwelling on it. I have more important things to ponder.
You typed that just a tiny bit faster than I did ...

PierM

Reaction score
People keep overestimating Gibson marketing strategies. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Said that, I'm pretty sure the brand will survive, probably in a smaller (and smarter) form, but with a new CEO.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gibson survived BAD times before.

I'm more or less set, possibly for life with my Gibbies.

I've gravitated towards used because they have the features I want. But it is a bummer not to have a guitar that was bought by me first.

scozz

Reaction score
I’ve read a number of articles depicting that there are fewer new people playing guitars now than in the recent past. After the Beatles exploded on the scene in the US on the Ed Sullivan Show in February of 1964, guitar sales in the US skyrocketed!!

Think about all the great guitar playing bands that that came out after/with the Beatles in the 60s and 70s. Never before did guitars manufacturers experience such an explosion of guitar sales as they did in those years. But slowly over the decades this has diminished. Today the electric guitar is not nearly as popular as it has been in past decades. Today there are fewer people starting to learn and fewer that stick with it.

We all know a guitar is not an easy instrument to learn, it can be very frustrating, and if a person is not inspired in some way, many if not most will quit.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve read a number of articles depicting that there are fewer new people playing guitars now than in the recent past. After the Beatles exploded on the scene in the US on the Ed Sullivan Show in February of 1964, guitar sales in the US skyrocketed!!

Think about all the great guitar playing bands that that came out after/with the Beatles in the 60s and 70s. Never before did guitars manufacturers experience such an explosion of guitar sales as they did in those years. But slowly over the decades this has diminished. Today the electric guitar is not nearly as popular as it has been in past decades. Today there are fewer people starting to learn and fewer that stick with it.

We all know a guitar is not an easy instrument to learn, it can be very frustrating, and if a person is not inspired in some way, many if not most will quit.
Such wisdom in this post. It blows my mind how long rap has endured. I don't know of any guitar-centered music with mass following any more. But what do I know?

Sinster

Reaction score
I bought my SG that way. Why not? I can definitely afford $28 a month.
Didn't say anything was wrong with that. Since I've been purchasing Gibson which hasn't been that long (2008). This was the first time I've seen pretty much all the retailers offer it all at the same time and for 48.

Latest Threads