Is buying a 2015 Les Paul Traditional with Robotuners worth it?

Plant man

Reaction score
I like the fact it has a brass/titanium nut on it and a wider fretboard. Plus one of the finishes I saw on it was really differen. It was a blue denim color. However am not crazy about the robotuners. Should I get one of these or just get a classic or traditional pro v instead? I already have a 2020 50s standard

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
When I saw the title of the thread I thought I'd point out to you that the main disagreement
on the 2015 model is the width of the neck!
But you seem to be fine with it so I got nothing more negative to say.

If you don't like the tuners feel free to replace them.
No big deal.

peobryant

Reaction score
If you like everything else about the guitar then buy it and replace the tuners. It certainly isn't uncommon to see guitars that came stock with robotuners replaced with traditional tuners.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The 2015's with the brass nut and G-Force were the first ones with the wider neck, and it was pretty wide compared to the next year with the HP models. I have the 2017 Les Paul Studio HP with the titanium nut and the E-Tune tuners, which is the upgraded G-Force basically. Mine has the slim taper neck but just a little bit wider so the E-strings don't slip off when bending, or at least that was the reasoning. For the most part, the E-Tune is just ok, it gets you close but not perfect, or at least not perfect for me and my ears. I always adjust a couple of strings to make them perfect. Also, in a live situation, there is usually to much noise for the E-Tune to work well I think most have found. I do love the neck on my HP though, that extra little bit of width makes fingering the first few frets really nice, plenty of space. but not even close to a baseball neck like the 2015's to my hands.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
If you like everything else about the guitar then buy it and replace the tuners. It certainly isn't uncommon to see guitars that came stock with robotuners replaced with traditional tuners.
this was the case with my 2015 junior,got it for $349 back when the haters were hating.i think prices have gone up since then.

mjross

Reaction score
I have a few with the Robo tuners. I replaced them with HipShot locking tuners that required no drilling or modification to the guitars. The process is totally reversible with no visible issues. If I sell the guitars the Robo tuner setup is in the case pocket and can be reinstalled returning the guitar to original. HipShot locking tuners (which are very nice) cost about $60-$70!

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
this was the case with my 2015 junior,got it for $349 back when the haters were hating.i think prices have gone up since then.
been looking for a cheap 2015 junior beater...willl be covering or refinishing the les signature if it bugs me..and the holigram...i dont know i will probably just can the tuners as its alot more cost effective than a vintage 50's jr.....it might relax the gas a bit

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a generation 2 GForce on an hp…
i wanted to hate it but it’s kinda awesome..

if they made a locking gold GForce set I reckon I’d refit my entire lineup

-chris

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
My one little gripe I have with my current les Paul (and most guitars) is that my big fat fingers get tied up when I'm playing in open position. I may have to check one of those out. It seems they are not particularly well liked, but mostly for that and the Robo Tuners. I actually know folks that have and like those things, so if you do buy it give them a chance before you swap them out. First time they act up get a replacement set of traditional tuners and sell them on eBay.

My two cents

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I have a few with the Robo tuners. I replaced them with HipShot locking tuners that required no drilling or modification to the guitars. The process is totally reversible with no visible issues. If I sell the guitars the Robo tuner setup is in the case pocket and can be reinstalled returning the guitar to original. HipShot locking tuners (which are very nice) cost about $60-$70!

I have the locking version of these on one of my Teles. The Hipshots are great and have been bullet proof through many gigs.

truckermde

Reaction score
Don't the 2015 models still have that god-awful Barbie-colored binding?

That's a tough pill to swallow, for me.

At this point, I'm just tired of settling to save a few bucks.

LocoTex

Reaction score
been looking for a cheap 2015 junior beater...willl be covering or refinishing the les signature if it bugs me..and the holigram...i dont know i will probably just can the tuners as its alot more cost effective than a vintage 50's jr.....it might relax the gas a bit
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to a 50's Junior you'll want to put a proper P90 in it as well. The slug magnet P90 they put in the 2015's just doesn't cut it.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a 2020 epi special with p-90s...its pretty ginchy.big neck but not like the gibby junior 2015 neck and less than 400 bucks,might be worth a look if you can find one.

Plant man

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that the brass nut wears out almost overnight. Gibson used to give away titanium nuts if you called customer service. I don’t know it they are still doing that.
interesting. Thanks. I guess a bone nut or graphtech nut is still superior. Maybe a classic it is then

Latest Threads