Is Artificial Intellingence A Threat To Humanity?

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Artificial Intellingence vs. Real Stupidity

Autonomy vs. Zealotry

Logic vs. an astounding vacuum of such​

Maybe I am simply too unenlightened on computers to back off of my cynicism regarding the human animal. :dunno:

I know a few people who are extraordinarily intelligent, and well-rounded to boot.
Street smart.
Socially savvy.

It's a rare combination.

But when these people congregate, something happens to even their collective intelligence.
They can brainstorm on an subject or two, but they do not compliment each other as a whole.

Net loss, so to speak.

Two super-duper surgeons work together for some reason - mistakes happen too easily.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard of airplanes getting busted up with TWO flight instructors driving.

Take people from below the average into consideration, and herd them together in a few dozens?
Their collective IQ falls to something like a herd of Wildebeest.
Or locusts.

It's for this reason that I refuse to attend stadium events or surrender too much decision-making to "authorities."

I agree with several of the statements above regarding the folly of man - particularly when feeling empowered.

Computers have to have a power source and are vulnerable to all manner of blunt-force trauma.
Or an acetylene torch.

Arzachel

Reaction score
Until A.I. can solve truly difficult math problems, I'll still have faith in the race that spawned Homer. Not the poet, but the carbon life form, Mr. Simpson. There is a lot to be said for genetic diversity. For every genius, there are one million dolts. Said another way, it takes a million idiots to produce one genius.

non AI computers do solve equations that no human could ever attempt and have been doing so for years, maths solving is after all what computers do, problem solving is not a measure of AI

See Wolfram Alpha

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
i dunno. there's really only a small percentage of the human race thats involved with all the science, designing, creation and building of technology. the rest of us just consume and ride along on their coat-tails really.

there's nothing particularly unusual in that. all animal life, and us included, consists of the much larger herd following the few alphas. maybe its and entropy thing... creation of order (low entropy) involves robbing energy from somewhere else (increasing entropy). so maybe in order to balance out, a few geniuses and history makers are allowed to come about at the expense of the rest of us leading very ordinary existences.

hecube

Reaction score
And by the way, equation solving was one of the first domain in which early AI techniques were brought to bear.

In the 70s, Douglas Lenat developped AM, a math-discovery program...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
When we say 'threat' what is the implicite danger? Displacement? I don't think the danger is in 'them' overthrowing 'us' ( for that we would have to create a reason within them to do so) but in 'us' supplanting each orher with 'them'. In the workplace yes...but also in most other places we interact with each other to create families, groups and societies. We're already doing it to a certain extent. Social media is a relatively new phenomenon for most of us. Will be the norm for our grandchildren. What effect is that having? We're at a safe distance from each other. Personal interaction is a totally different thing. And those skills are already waning a bit. And seems to foster an unusual kind of anonymous cruelty in some. ( bullying)

Throw in something that is autonomous and self-mobile...what do you get? The friend/companion that never tells you you're wrong? That's always there when you want but goes away when you say so? Looks the way you want? And who knows what else? :cool::hmm:

Now...as far as military applications...there's the rub. If I have several thousand very deadly and hard-to-kill cannon fodder drone/automatons ..wtf you gonna do about it? :shock:

Look at the problem we have with brainwashed humanity. Bad enough a few humans will walk into your midsts with a bomb strapped to themselves. And brainwashing takes some effort. Not necessary with a mechanical robot.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a computer could replace many 'suits' as in job function...like attending meetings to plan the next meeting and celebrate their amazing success at planning the present meeting last meeting and hope to be successful this meeting planning the next meeting....

If they take over, we'll just have to ask for a committee. When they meet, we kick the plug out of the wall on all the bastids...

:cool:

HenryHill

Reaction score
I think this was 15% of all the 1st gen. Star Trek episodes.

Gene saw it coming and it was a problem.

I'm with Gene.

James Carney

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think this was 15% of all the 1st gen. Star Trek episodes.

Gene saw it coming and it was a problem.

I'm with Gene.

Big fan of The Doomsaday Machine, myself

Doomsday_Machine.jpg

Heisenberg

Reaction score
I think the main threat to humanity is natural ignorance. All too common these days...

Engel

Reaction score
Not a threat currently, nor would it be for a long, long time. Until the AI became fully self reliant, we could always just pull the plug.

parts

Reaction score
As long as electronics don't like water..and machines have an opening..

We will find away to screw them up..

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dude abides....

cmh6122

Reaction score
There is that pesky prime directive.

"With Folded Hands"

Latest Threads