Is Artificial Intellingence A Threat To Humanity?

Actinic

Reaction score
Until A.I. can solve truly difficult math problems, I'll still have faith in the race that spawned Homer. Not the poet, but the carbon life form, Mr. Simpson. There is a lot to be said for genetic diversity. For every genius, there are one million dolts. Said another way, it takes a million idiots to produce one genius.

maxresdefault.jpg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If humanity creates the said artificial intelligence, I would say yes, it's a threat to humanity. That seems to be how we do things.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I'm not that worried about AI.

We drastically underestimate just what a powerful machine the human brain is. It is many orders of magnitude more complex than the most powerful super computer ever imagined. And is it really possible for an intelligence to DESIGN an intelligence superior to itself?

Headache2.jpg

Dammit.

I'll be up all night pondering that one...

Does it really have to be more intelligent to be a threat? Nope. Just autonomous.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you have folks with an IQ of a grapefruit running wide open, a damn toaster is a threat....

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm flattered (Again? Still?) that you are so concerned with my forum status and any threads that I may post in.

As far as being banned - what is my offense, sheriff?

Go ahead and PM all your Forum Kiddie friends and let the sh!t-bombing begin.
Still have a hotline to the Mod Squad to report anyone who despoils YOUR forum?

Suh-weet.

Let's make this real clear:

Neo (Publis) has a right to participate in this thread, like any other member.

He has a right to defend himself when attacked.

He has a responsibility to this forum as a member to obey the house rules, and that includes "no politics".

He has a responsibility, like any other member, not to attack people unprovoked.

Like any other member, he needs to conduct himself appropriately, with appropriate responses to viewpoints alternative to his own.

Now, let's run that up the flagpole and see what happens from here.

Frogfur

Reaction score
humans have always been stupid,..
we're just beginning to notice?

If we always do what we always did..
we'll always get what we always got.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
The problem with technology arises when it outpaces the evolution of our ethics. Which is always. :laugh2:

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Iirc from Computer Science class programs like Alice only mimic intelligence. Looking for key words and rephrasing an answer in the form of a question. Like a psycho analyst. It's database will have a few responses for each key word so it does not repeat itself too often.

Torren61

Reaction score
You mean the people with more money than you think YOU deserve?
Envy has always been a threat to humanity. :cool:

If you were moving A LOT of your money around, wouldn't you use the best tools available to do so?

Eh - define what "recovery" means to you. :dunno:
Free sh!t for everyone who signs up?
A smart phone in everyone's hand as soon as they are old enough to walk?

Closer to home, I have learned over the years that there are many doomsday scenarios that came to pass without any real effect on my life, liberty, or happiness.
I have learned to control my own destiny, and take responsibility for ME and mine.

The things I cannot escape?
That's a different story.
These are propagated and perpetuated by my neighbors, coworkers, and local government.
THESE [email protected] are the ones that pose the greatest threat to everything I hold dear - from my earnings, to my savings, to my investments, to my property, to my faith, my personal freedom and our Founders' vision.

Some scary guy making a buck legally (ethically would be nice) is of little concern to me.

Feel free to disagree. :wave:

I disagree with this and pretty much everything else you type.

Torren61

Reaction score
Did I miss something?

Rich, super-smart criminals are the problem, if it is safe to read that into your post.
No?

(You did not have much to say about the bottom half of the intelligence spectrum)

Because you are neither rich, nor a diabolical criminal, you are quite different from them.
As a natural result (human nature being somewhat predictable, unless you are exempt) you can only presume that the super-smart and wealthy have none of your ethics.

If I missed the boat entirely on you in particular, or exposed something you find offensive, then let's go back to pretending that this is a public forum with conversational contributions by (and and referring to) EVERYONE who might visit the thread.

Oh, and you might notice my comment about ethics in business.
We are probably very much in agreement on this.

But if you prefer not to be... :wave:

Yeah, I disagree with this too.

Torren61

Reaction score
I'm flattered (Again? Still?) that you are so concerned with my forum status and any threads that I may post in.

As far as being banned - what is my offense, sheriff?

Go ahead and PM all your Forum Kiddie friends and let the sh!t-bombing begin.
Still have a hotline to the Mod Squad to report anyone who despoils YOUR forum?

Suh-weet.

You're a very disagreeable person.

Torren61

Reaction score
.. seems like old times huh Dave ? ..

.. you doing ok in whatever you are working at ?

.. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family ..

Dave? Dave's not all here, man. He's a servant to "the man". A lap dog who looks at his masters with awe and amazement. He will defend them with every fiber of his being (whatever THAT is worth) and gladly give his life for their continued dominance of the masses in order to receive his table scraps or belly scratch.

DPdPtbB.jpg

ZMA2770.jpg

This place is so much better with his absence.

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
.. meh .. I am just tryin ta get along ..

.. I have already done my bit of arguing over the years with Neo ..

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Yeah, I know.
I'm okay with that.

Yeah, I disagree with this too.
I'm okay with that too.
Validated, even.

You're a very disagreeable person.
I'm actually quite reasonable when handled with the courtesy most would accord even a total stranger.

One thing I DO have going for me is my ability to adapt to circumstance.
When affronted by battleship mouth/rowboat ass types, I can volley with the most zealous.

Dave? Dave's not all here, man. He's a servant to "the man". A lap dog who looks at his masters with awe and amazement. He will defend them with every fiber of his being (whatever THAT is worth) and gladly give his life for their continued dominance of the masses in order to receive his table scraps or belly scratch.
Yeah... you lost me with that one.
What (or whom) are you talking about?

And who are these people?

Family?
Friends?
Random Google pics?

If it gets bad enough for you, summon the strength to avoid what weakens you the most.

Or as Lt. Dave recommends:

Let's make this real clear:

Neo (Publis) has a right to participate in this thread, like any other member.

He has a right to defend himself when attacked.

He has a responsibility to this forum as a member to obey the house rules, and that includes "no politics".

He has a responsibility, like any other member, not to attack people unprovoked.

Like any other member, he needs to conduct himself appropriately, with appropriate responses to viewpoints alternative to his own.

Now, let's run that up the flagpole and see what happens from here.
Or you could be as disagreeable as you usually are in this forum, and start the thread-bombing campaign you so enjoy.

go-either-way.png

Your call.

:cool:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

DPdPtbB.jpg

ZMA2770.jpg

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkxckKWHBcM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkxckKWHBcM[/ame]

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would caution all involved to get back to topic, and less emphasis placed on each other.

tinman402

Reaction score
short answer is no...

Lack of actual intelligence in a bunch of humans is though..

James Carney

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A group of computer geniuses get together to build the world's largest, most powerful thinking machine.

They program it with the latest heuristic software so it can learn, then feed into it the total sum of mankind's knowledge from every source-historical, scientific, technical, literary, mythical, religious, occult.

Then, at the great unveiling, the group leader feeds the computer its first question:

"Is there a god?"
"There is now," the computer replies.

hecube

Reaction score
My take on it is that, not only is it possible, but it's possible now with the computing power at our disposal. We're just lacking the expertise to make it happen.

Latest Threads