Is a vintage Epiphone Century worth the price?

jonnyglock9

Reaction score
Let's say you have a pretty good deal lined up on a 60's era Epiphone Century. It plays beautifully and looks great too. But it costs 3-4 times as much as a brand new/lightly-used one, which looks and plays just as good.

Is it worth going vintage in this case? Will a vintage Epiphone hold or even increase in value as time wears on? Would love to hear some thoughts from anyone experienced in this realm. Thank you!

Airplane

Reaction score
Unless it’s a BAD specimen vintage is always better.

It will hold it‘s value. I will sound better, smell better, look better... 60s Epiphones are sleepers in the vintage world. Generally the prices of 50s-60s hollow bodies will go up in the future.

judson

Reaction score
i like this one....

jonnyglock9

Reaction score
i like this one....

Nice! Do you think that's a bit on the high side, price wise?

judson

Reaction score
Nice! Do you think that's a bit on the high side, price wise?
could be as i dont follow those but i will say this...i think you would be better paying the double or triple the price of new IF you found a vintage that sounded and felt great to you.

if you bought new and it just didnt work for you...you probably will take a hit on it if you sell within a year or two

the vintage if it didnt work out, you may be able to break even or make a few bucks...but do your homework to see if its within reason of going rates for condition, ect.....like the one above i just posted it, prolly is high but was just an example.

each guitar is different in that respect but buy some thing that you like, that will inspire you to play it everyday without future price being the number 1 reason....

unless you are looking strictly for vintage for future value...alot of learning for that game

my preference is vintage players if i can buy them at what i consider a good price and buy them to play is what does it for me....im not concerned much on future value since i have a hard time selling things i like...but dont think i would lose on any of my purchases of player grade.

your mileage may vary, happy hunting .

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had one back in the day. Wish it hadn't gotten away. Wonderful piece. I think mid teens would be a good neighborhood for one.

jonnyglock9

Reaction score
if you bought new and it just didnt work for you...you probably will take a hit on it if you sell within a year or two

the vintage if it didnt work out, you may be able to break even or make a few bucks...but do your homework to see if its within reason of going rates for condition, ect....
Exactly what I am thinking. Thanks, man!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll add.... when the new ones came out I got all stoked and raced out to get one. Just wasn't the real deal. Passed.

Latest Threads