Is a new Les Paul Classic worth $2K?

ledvedder

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to get myself a Les Paul. I currently have more superstrat like guitars (Peavey Wolfgang and Charvel So Cal). I want a guitar to get a more versatile, classic sound. I'm looking at the Les Paul Tribute, which is considerably less expensive, but it's missing all the asthetics of a true LP. I'm also looking at the new 59 Epiphone, which has all of the great component upgrades. But, I'm wondering of the LP Classic is almost $1K better? Looking for some recommendations.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Not if you adjust for inflation?

I paid just over $1,200 for my '01 Classic, used about 10 years ago, and they were just over $2K new.

IMHO, even if the Claasics were more than a new Standard, they're definitly worth it.

I've played hundreds (not kidding) of Classics since their launch, and am yet to play a bad one. Can't say the same about most other LPs.

ledvedder

Reaction score
Not if you adjust for inflation?

I paid just over $1,200 for my '01 Classic, used about 10 years ago, and they were just over $2K new.

IMHO, even if the Claasics were more than a new Standard, they're definitly worth it.

I've played hundreds (not kidding) of Classics since their launch, and am yet to play a bad one. Can't say the same about most other LPs.
What do you like better about the Classic over the Standard?

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2017 Classic T (Traditional), it was imho, the best bang for buck LP from Gibson then. It wasn't much more than the Studios, 57 classic/classic+ pups, locking grovers, all the binfing inlay etc. I;ve had Tributes, still have one, faded Studios. The one thing I didn't like about them, compared to the classic, were the finishes. In fact, I went and had a place put a full nitro gloss coat on my 60s Tribute, I like that full, nitro gloss finish

As to between the Classic and Epiphone? Apples and Oranges. Me I won't by MIC anymore, new. But that's me

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Double check the weight on the Classic. Mine was weight relieved and still weighed over 10 lbs. Must have been made of water logged mahogany.
Mine is just a shade over 8 lbs

rockstar232007

Reaction score
What do you like better about the Classic over the Standard?
They're just all-around great guitars. I'm also partial to the slim-taper necks. The pickups (usually 498r/500t) might not be suitible for most peoples' tastes, but I don't really mind them. As long as you know how to make some adjustments, they're actually really versitile.

I will say, the ONLY real issue I have with some of them, are the yellow ("aged") inlays, but I swapped mine out for MOP (now CN) as soon as I bought it.

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m biased....classics are my favorite...
bought all of them new...best $1900 u can spend

I’m playing my 18 right now...well, I just sat it down...
here she is from Christmas 2019 just after I opened her...and added a bigsby
that was a good Christmas because I got the stratosphere tribute sg from my wife...I had a heckuva time finding the right plastics for it since the maestro handle tied my hands color wise

5B9AB1B3-7F79-4DB5-BDB0-0FA55E88384E.jpeg

-Chris

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Definitely get the Classic, you will love it! The new Epiphone Custom's are really good, not sure about the new 59, since I have not played one and I am not to sure about the Indian Laurel Fingerboard. The Epi does have a medium C neck, which is my new favorite the past couple of years. I like it better than the 60's slim taper that I use to love.

moreles

Reaction score
The Gibson/Epi contrast is no contest. The Epis are excellent value for money, and the Gibsos are just plain excellent. I'm not a fan of Tributes. They're one of the few guitars that strike me as a cheesy wannabe version of a better instrument. I wish they had made them even more different from the "real thing."

JMP

Reaction score
It sounds like the Classic has all the features you’r looking for. It’s absolutely a great Les Paul. If you like it, it’s a good value at $2k. The cherry red is my favorite color.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

that was a good Christmas because I got the stratosphere tribute sg from my wife...I had a heckuva time finding the right plastics for it since the maestro handle tied my hands color wise

View attachment 497319

-Chris
EIGHTEEN???????????????

BAD ASS

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 497319

-Chris
As one of our Resident Classic experts, and certainly the Blingiest of the Blingsters, how do you feel that the new Classics compare to the first batches?

Latest Threads