Is a Gibson Standard SG worth $400 more than a Gibson 60s Tribute SG?

Gerr

Reaction score
Is Gibson's Standard SG worth the extra $400 over their 2013 60s Tribute SG, which is the closest of the new Tribute series to the specs of the Standard?

Gibson.com: Gibson SG Standard
-vs-
Gibson.com: Gibson SG '60s Tribute

Standard SG upgrades...
57 Classic pickups (60s has Burstbuckers 1&2)
Gibson hardshell case (60s comes with a gigbag)
Bound neck (60s neck isn't bound)
Grade-A mahogany body (60s has standard grade wood)
Grade-A quarter-sawn mahogany neck (60s has standard grade wood)
Grade-A rosewood fretboard (60s has standard grade wood)
High Gloss Nitro finish (60s has a Vintage gloss Nitro finish)
MoP Gibson logo and holly inlays (60s has silk screened logo/inlays)
Pickguard (60s has no pickguard)
TonePro vintage tuners (60s has Grover tuners)

I actually like the Grover tuners better than the TonePro tuners, so I don't consider this an upgrade.

The high gloss finish, pickguard, and better logo/inlays are cosmetic upgrades and I don't see them making much of a difference in sound or playability.

Grade-A wood is a solid upgrade, but how much better is it vs normal grade wood? Does it make any difference on sound or playability?

A bound neck and hardshell case are both big upgrades as they help protect the guitar better. While the hardshell case has no impact on playability or sound, the bound neck might have a minor affect, not sure on that one.

57 Classic pickups are generally considered better pickups and will sound better to most people, so this is a good upgrade.

All in all, it does seem like the Standard SG has some decent upgrades over the 60s Tribute SG. The question is do you think they are worth the extra $400? I have mixed feelings on this, so just seeing what other people think. Remember that money doesn't grow on trees, so for many of us, going from $900 to $1300 is a big jump, so do you think the differences are worth it?

smcgov

Reaction score
I think the finsihes cost Gibson a lot of man hours, Nitro is very time consuming I'm told. The bulk of the $400 is probably right there, sounds like its not worth the extra $$ to you.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
For me it would be worth it, as neck binding is very important to me. I prefer the feel of the Tribute's faded finish though.

Gerr

Reaction score
I think the finsihes cost Gibson a lot of man hours, Nitro is very time consuming I'm told. The bulk of the $400 is probably right there, sounds like its not worth the extra $$ to you.

I would agree if the 60s Tribute had a faded finish like the SGJ, but it says it has a Vintage gloss Nitro finish, so wouldn't they be the same finish with just a different gloss level?

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
I just think it looks nicer, and for me it would be worth the extra. Hell, I'd buy used and spend less anyway.

It's all on you..

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Prices on the used market are silly cheap, so I wouldn't be spending that much. I think if you are just chugging distorted chords, the difference would be minimal, IMO. But if you like the extra touches, it's worth the labor cost.

How do you like the SGJ? I'm tempted to trade for one.

Kungphugrip

Reaction score
imo 57s are not really upgrades over any BBs
but the standards' finish and binding and case are probably worth the extra loot

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I have an SG Standard and a 70's Tribute SG, and I definitely think the SG Standard is worth the extra money, if you have it. That being said, though, the Tributes are good guitars and I have no regret buying mine. It's got hotter pickups that I wanted and a 24 Fret neck, which is a big deal to me. If I had a limited budget, I would by the Tribute over the Standard with no reservations. Personally, I'm glad to have both.

truckermde

Reaction score
2nd hand Standards are going for about $800, so that's the route I'd go. One of the guitarists in my band just got an immaculate '10 SG Standard with case and all candy for $800 just 2 weeks ago, as a mater of fact.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
2nd hand Standards are going for about $800, so that's the route I'd go. One of the guitarists in my band just got an immaculate '10 SG Standard with case and all candy for $800 just 2 weeks ago, as a mater of fact.

Only the new ones come with 57 Classics as stock pups. Doesn't matter to me, I like the 490r/498t combination in mine. :dude:

dspelman

Reaction score
The question is do you think they are worth the extra $400? I have mixed feelings on this, so just seeing what other people think. Remember that money doesn't grow on trees, so for many of us, going from $900 to $1300 is a big jump, so do you think the differences are worth it?

I'll keep in mind that money doesn't grow on trees. Shall I alert the media? :naughty:

Whether any Gibson is worth the money is a good question. Further, I'm not a fan of SGs, but I can tell you that I personally wouldn't even consider a '60's Tribute SG if a Standard were available.

While there's a certain shabby chic in vogue these days regarding what's unnecessary bling on a guitar and what's important to the sound, what you want to remember is that the Gibson reputation was not built on cut-rate guitars, which most assuredly defines a 60's Tribute SG. Fit and finish have been considered a Gibson hallmark. Bolting a baseball bat to a cutting board rather loosely defines the cost-sensitive construction of their rivals. Building a guitar from premium woods and adding custom-quality appointments such as multi-layer binding, real shell inlays, higher-end tuners, multiple-piece necks, etc. has been what defines premium Gibson quality.

These days Gibson is trying to survive by calling what has traditionally been their student- and entry-level guitars level "stripped down no nonsense rock and roll." It's Marketing BS 101. These are bargain-bin Christmas special-style Costco guitars for those who can't afford a traditional Gibson.

Gibson is having issues with its finishing department; the whole business of grain filling guitars and doing multiple coats of lacquer (usually around 15 and up to 30) and then allowing it to dry thoroughly and then sanding and buffing it to a high gloss costs them a lot of labor time and, therefore, money. Meanwhile, the Asian competition (including Gibson's own subsidiaries) is able to run dry-to-dry finishes in under 24 hours and will have few to no customer complaints about the finish once the guitars are sold. Moreover their finishes can be applied *more* evenly and with fewer coats (thinner) while offering greater protection, thanks to modern methods.

Simply hosing a chunk of wood with a matte or semi-gloss lacquer and eliminating a lot of finishing steps allows Gibson to sell an entry level instrument, but honestly the Asian guitars rather obviously own the under-$1000 market. Perhaps the real question is "Why buy a guitar with a Gibson logo for that money; 'do you think the differences are worth it?'" when you compare an offshore guitar with far better build quality to a cheaped-out Gibson.

Over the past few years (since the beginning of 2009) I've purchased two Gibsons -- one $4K new, one a vintage piece from the mid-70's, and I'm comfortable with the value they represent. In the under $1000 bracket, however, I've purchased at least two offshore-built guitars that typically sell in the $300-400 range (plus case and shipping) that are unquestionably better guitars in every respect than any new Gibson in that bracket. When I buy guitars in that range, new Gibsons are not even in consideration.

None of the above is meant to be Gibson bashing; it's just my personal evaluation of the market and Gibson's response to it -- and to your question regarding relative values.

JMB1984

Reaction score
I would agree if the 60s Tribute had a faded finish like the SGJ, but it says it has a Vintage gloss Nitro finish, so wouldn't they be the same finish with just a different gloss level?

No, the Standard had a much thicker gloss and will stand up over time longer

The standard would take much longer (years) to experience the kind of wear in this thread. This LP also has the same thin Tribute finish, but some people like this kind of wear:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/255565-paint-rubbing-off-my-50s-tribute.html

JM2112

Reaction score
I think the SG Standard is worth it, IMHO.

If money is tight or a consideration, look closely at used SG's. These guitars are a great value brand new, and buying used can really save you some money if your patient and search carefully.

Whatever you do, make sure to post some pics for us when you get it! Good luck! :thumb:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Have you played both models?
That would be a start.

SG's and Les Paul's are two different beasts. They don't even "hold" the same around your neck. Some people can't play an SG, complaining their left hand is too "far off to the left".

So before you consider anything, play them. Sitting down AND standing up with a strap. Furthermore, the "it" factor comes into play when trying guitars. I bought a Vintage Sunburst Les Paul even if it wasn't my preferred finish. It just rocked.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

AngryHatter

Reaction score

paulgibson

Reaction score
The standard looks more expensive and better built plus I don't like Gibson's lower end guitars.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Faded with sheptone pickups and jonesys wiring.
stm2.jpg

Cost half the price of the STD

Latest Threads