Is a fuzz really a sizzling/squealing/noisy uselles pedal?

Sol1

Reaction score
Well, no, not at all.

I thought it was, for many years. Maybe it was because I started with it at the very beginning of my guitar journey, I mean around 1990, and by that time I could neither get a decent pedal in my area nor could play the guitar. Maybe because fuzz is not particularly popular in the fast metal/hc/punk area, where I've been musically delving for years. Maybe there were other reasons, but that's not important now.

Important thing is that I thought the same a few weeks ago, trying to find some application and overally tame the Erupter by Earthquaker Devices. Which was kid of difficult in case of pedal, which has no volume control :)

I've decided to swich it for The Hoof, which has four knobs instead of one.

And that was an enlightening experience. A few tweaks there and there, and there we were. No hissing, no sizzling, no farting, no fieedback, just creamy, heavy tone in the best traditions of heavy music. And by heavy tone I mean heavy tone. Like ten tons of cream.

Added phaser on top and there you go. It seems that Riverside will no longer be my favorite piece of the pedalboard, at least for the time being of course.

Here's a short report.

Any similar experiences on your side?

mdubya

Reaction score
Sounds great.

I like a fuzz that can go from semi controllable to right out of control.

I have some for when I need them to behave and some for when I want to try to hang on for the ride.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's important to make the distinction: Big Muffs and their derivatives are not Fuzz pedals. Clipping diodes and their resultant distortion dominate the BMP sound, which differentiates itself from the classic fuzz tones like the Fuzz Face, Tonebender, etc.

These classic circuits can be quite wily, which I tend to not get from the BMP. The BMP has a controlled, focused distortion and sustain.

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
I love fuzz, used to have a swollen pickle :shock:
In metal i think you hear it a lot in doom.

moreles

Reaction score
Depends on which fuzz, which settings, which guitar, which amp, which amp settings...and which song -- making this question a little pointless.

rich85

Reaction score
Old fuzz: Great for making single coil notes fat and distorted

Modern fuzz: lol pedal sounds broken 10/10

drew365

Reaction score
What happens if you play the other four strings? Sorry, what I play has no connection to metal. I have an Earthquaker Acapulco Gold, and I rarely find use for it.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually break things down into a few categories:

1.) Wild Fuzz (Truly Fuzzy, Fuzz Freakout) - These would be your Octave Fuzzes, Fuzz Rites, Tonebender Mark I, Jordon Bosstones, etc. They mostly have one true speed and go zero to fuzz freakout without much else.

2.) Overdrive Fuzzes - Fuzz Face, Tonebender Mark II/Supafuzz, etc. These pedals can still get fuzzy at maximum settings but drive the amp more than provide fuzz freakout

3.) "Fuzzes" a.k.a. BMP and its derivatives - These are not fuzzes but get lumped in with fuzzes, mainly because they make people feel fuzzy? I don't know why but anything dominated by diode clipping is a distortion at that point.

I like the second class of fuzzes, i.e. the "Overdrive" Fuzzes. In a perfect world you'd have a TB MKII/Supafuzz for leads and crunch tones and a Fuzz Face for leads.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is if you're using it with a Blackface Fender type circuit.

1620932859033.jpeg

jvin248

Reaction score

Fuzz also cleans up with the guitar volume knob.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the amp that you're using, how much headroom, how much compression, etc. This is a good video:

Latest Threads