Is a 2007 Standard yay or nay? Tell me more about them please!

John Nada

Reaction score
Oh and you should be able to tell the colour from the writing inside the pickup cavity - for example mine is LP5+HCB (Les Paul 50's Plus Heritage Cherry Burst).
I guessed Desert Burst for that one ^ because whenever I see it's sprayed like that, with less of the darker colour by the pickup selector. Less of the 'teardrop' fade you get on Honeyburst etc. I'm not sure why they did it, but just know that every DB I saw was like it.
I think you might be right on that finish. Wouldn't have figured that out myself, but the naming Gibson has (had) for their colors isn't always clear to me anyway haha.

John Nada

Reaction score
I think the one standout feature of that guitar is the weight. It certainly has a nice top, but I don't think it would be too difficult to find another Standard with a similar top. If it's the same price as a new one, I would be inclined to try a new one so you can actually play a few. I've never met a guitar more unpredictable than a Les Paul. A great one is obvious and a lot of them can be immediate "no's."

I can also confirm the early 2000's are amazing guitars. I have a 2002 Standard and haven't bought another Les Paul since because I haven't seen a nicer one. Sure, there are fancier tops and that sort of thing but the build on that guitar is perfect. They don't even come out of the Custom Shop like that any more. I bought my first Les Paul since that one a couple of days ago. It's an extremely nice guitar. But when you get up close, the binding and fret nibs aren't on the same level as the 2002. They are making much nicer guitars now though than they were just a couple of years ago. I was legitimately impressed.
Yeah that's something I'm in doubt about as well. I never bought a used guitar as far as I can remember. But with the current USA models I don't like the neck of the Standard 50s, so that leaves a Standard 60s and Classic, so the used market opens up more flavours.

And with new guitars I pretty much know what I like being new: light weight, dark fretboard and good playability. The rest I can change. But it's hard finding a store thst has enough to compare where I am.

geezbill

Reaction score
Is there a difference then between the chambering in 2007 vs 2008?
i'm guessing the '07 in question is a late one. The official '08's were introduced with all these changes.

There definitely is a market for 7 lb Les Pauls. After years of playing and owning probably 50 i believe the ideal weight is somewhere close to 8.5 lbs and either weight relieved or solid. I did have one LP GT (not goldtop but the fire engine red one) sounded phenomenal, i think those were chambered, they did have ebony boards.

greens

Reaction score
My understanding is, "chambering" is different than swiss cheese weight relief. I think this one would have the cheese.

John Nada

Reaction score
My understanding is, "chambering" is different than swiss cheese weight relief. I think this one would have the cheese.
This one is from february 2007, so I think it would be chambered, though I'm not asking for external knowledge for nothing :p ;)

bennyboy

Reaction score
Correct John, swiss cheese weigh relief stopped in later '06, with chambering taking over. Then the bigger changes happened in '08 I believe.
This one is from february 2007, so I think it would be chambered, though I'm not asking for external knowledge for nothing :p ;)

55special

Reaction score
Yeah that's something I'm in doubt about as well. I never bought a used guitar as far as I can remember. But with the current USA models I don't like the neck of the Standard 50s, so that leaves a Standard 60s and Classic, so the used market opens up more flavours.

And with new guitars I pretty much know what I like being new: light weight, dark fretboard and good playability. The rest I can change. But it's hard finding a store thst has enough to compare where I am.
Yes, I completely understand where you're at. For what it's worth, I just bought a Classic. I just happened to come across one in a store with a really interesting top. The playability is A+, has a slimmer neck than a 50's for sure. But I will say, the new guitars are not light. If you like that kind of top too, that pretty much rules out a Les Paul Classic because they're almost always plain. In that case, if you were to go new, I'd recommend emailing someone at Sweetwater and asking what their lightest 60s Standards available are. I have a good feeling there's more than on the website. And then you could always send back hassle free if it didn't feel right.

If you haven't checked the Guitar Center used site, that's a great place to look for amazing deals. And if you don't like the guitar, it's painless to return. They'll even lower the price more in some cases if you call the store. But I think you obviously like a lot about this particular guitar if you're trying to get feedback on it. If it checks all the boxes and the seller has great reviews, you're more than likely going to be happy with it.

John Nada

Reaction score
Yes, I completely understand where you're at. For what it's worth, I just bought a Classic. I just happened to come across one in a store with a really interesting top. The playability is A+, has a slimmer neck than a 50's for sure. But I will say, the new guitars are not light. If you like that kind of top too, that pretty much rules out a Les Paul Classic because they're almost always plain. In that case, if you were to go new, I'd recommend emailing someone at Sweetwater and asking what their lightest 60s Standards available are. I have a good feeling there's more than on the website. And then you could always send back hassle free if it didn't feel right.

If you haven't checked the Guitar Center used site, that's a great place to look for amazing deals. And if you don't like the guitar, it's painless to return. They'll even lower the price more in some cases if you call the store. But I think you obviously like a lot about this particular guitar if you're trying to get feedback on it. If it checks all the boxes and the seller has great reviews, you're more than likely going to be happy with it.
The problem is, as a Dutchman living in Germany, there are fewer options. There isn't a store here like Sweetwater where you get pics with weight for the individual guitars you pick. You just order and hope you get something good, or you have to return it.

The second hand market is also slim pickens at the moment. The reason this one stood out to me, is the light weight, the nice looking fretboard, the 50s neck that is supposed to be just a tad bigger than my current Standard 60s and the look. In the average store here, you either get the demo model that usually isn't in the best shape, or something from the warehouse that you only get to see after buying.

I'm partial to flamey tops. I could do with a current Classic honeyburst for instance, they're cool plain tops. And the Standard 60s I own is great: just a smidge over 9lbs and it sounds snd plays so good to me, that I returned an R9 last week because my Standard held up so well in comparison.

So I'm still on the fence: I might try to find a new Classic or Standard, or go for a used one like this. But since buying a used Gibson is a new venture for me, I wanted to get informed, hence this thread.

55special

Reaction score
The problem is, as a Dutchman living in Germany, there are fewer options. There isn't a store here like Sweetwater where you get pics with weight for the individual guitars you pick. You just order and hope you get something good, or you have to return it.

The second hand market is also slim pickens at the moment. The reason this one stood out to me, is the light weight, the nice looking fretboard, the 50s neck that is supposed to be just a tad bigger than my current Standard 60s and the look. In the average store here, you either get the demo model that usually isn't in the best shape, or something from the warehouse that you only get to see after buying.

I'm partial to flamey tops. I could do with a current Classic honeyburst for instance, they're cool plain tops. And the Standard 60s I own is great: just a smidge over 9lbs and it sounds snd plays so good to me, that I returned an R9 last week because my Standard held up so well in comparison.

So I'm still on the fence: I might try to find a new Classic or Standard, or go for a used one like this. But since buying a used Gibson is a new venture for me, I wanted to get informed, hence this thread.
Oh ok... did not know you were overseas. I will say, this is on the tail end of when I've experienced Gibson's being reliably great. I don't think you would find any bad surprises with that guitar. The 2010's I would avoid entirely. I know there are great guitars in there but I've come across too many that had pretty severe QC issues. I kept going to the store trying to buy a new one over those years and couldn't leave with one.

Here's the Classic Honyburst I just bought if you're interested in those. I swapped out for 50s style knobs, put an amber toggle switch, and I'm going to put a nickel pickup cover over the neck pickup. Besides the weight, I think you'd be extremely happy with one of these. All the ones I looked at had phenomenal build quality. But yeah... definitely not below 8 lbs. I don't know exactly what it is but I would guess 9-something.

IMG_9029.jpg

John Nada

Reaction score
Oh ok... did not know you were overseas. I will say, this is on the tail end of when I've experienced Gibson's being reliably great. I don't think you would find any bad surprises with that guitar. The 2010's I would avoid entirely. I know there are great guitars in there but I've come across too many that had pretty severe QC issues. I kept going to the store trying to buy a new one over those years and couldn't leave with one.

Here's the Classic Honyburst I just bought if you're interested in those. I swapped out for 50s style knobs, put an amber toggle switch, and I'm going to put a nickel pickup cover over the neck pickup. Besides the weight, I think you'd be extremely happy with one of these. All the ones I looked at had phenomenal build quality. But yeah... definitely not below 8 lbs. I don't know exactly what it is but I would guess 9-something.

View attachment 637095
That one looks great! And funny enough, I was thinking about doing the same thing. I already bought those 50s knobs, an amber knob and a blank truss rod cover last week seeking to buy one... but it got away before I had the chance. And I've got a set of Wizz pickups coming in next week which are intended to go in my new Les Paul. I would put at least one nickel cover pickup in that Classic as well, and I would replace the PCB for 50s wiring. But to me, that's the fun with the Classic and Standard, you can mod it to your own liking and have a lot of money left compared to a Custom Shop.

55special

Reaction score
That one looks great! And funny enough, I was thinking about doing the same thing. I already bought those 50s knobs, an amber knob and a blank truss rod cover last week seeking to buy one... but it got away before I had the chance. And I've got a set of Wizz pickups coming in next week which are intended to go in my new Les Paul. I would put at least one nickel cover pickup in that Classic as well, and I would replace the PCB for 50s wiring. But to me, that's the fun with the Classic and Standard, you can mod it to your own liking and have a lot of money left compared to a Custom Shop.
That's hilarious! I did the blank truss rod cover too. The giant "Classic" is just a little too much for me. It kind of cheapens the look of the guitar. I'm undecided about doing one or both pickup covers. I ordered two in case I want both. I'm torn on the wiring because some of that out of phase stuff could be useful for me on recordings. But I usually prefer a traditional wiring harness and I think the volume pots on this aren't spectacular. They don't roll off steadily.

And I agree as far as Custom Shop. That's why I jumped on this. I could make it pretty much exactly what I want for a fraction of the price.

I'm very curious what you'll end up with!

John Nada

Reaction score
That's hilarious! I did the blank truss rod cover too. The giant "Classic" is just a little too much for me. It kind of cheapens the look of the guitar. I'm undecided about doing one or both pickup covers. I ordered two in case I want both. I'm torn on the wiring because some of that out of phase stuff could be useful for me on recordings. But I usually prefer a traditional wiring harness and I think the volume pots on this aren't spectacular. They don't roll off steadily.

And I agree as far as Custom Shop. That's why I jumped on this. I could make it pretty much exactly what I want for a fraction of the price.

I'm very curious what you'll end up with!
After talking to you I'm leaning back more torwards the modded Classic idea. How funny to find someone as like-minded on this in this thread haha!

55special

Reaction score
After talking to you I'm leaning back more torwards the modded Classic idea. How funny to find someone as like-minded on this in this thread haha!
It's an odd coincidence for sure! I was thinking the same thing. I also feel less crazy about wanting to change all those parts now haha.

John Nada

Reaction score
It's an odd coincidence for sure! I was thinking the same thing. I also feel less crazy about wanting to change all those parts now haha.
I mean, I do those kind of changes with most guitars. If you know what you like, esthetically, tonewise and practically, there's in my opinion nothing wrong with modding a guitar torwards your own personality. In fact, I think it's fun!

John Nada

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in everyone! I've decided not to go for it though. I've noticed some things in the pictures that looked like there were some issues and asked the seller, so I didn't feel comfortable buying like that. Especially because I can buy new at that price.

Got unlucky right away though. Drove an hour and a half to my closest music store, because I had twice played a Standard 60s in Iced Tea burst there that I really liked. So I went there in the hopes they still had it, and they did, and I still loved it...

... But they wouldn't sell it to me, because they didn't have any more of that finish in stock, and they wanted to keep that one on the wall. Totally bonkers to me, because why would want to leave a model on the wall for customers to sell, if you don't have any in stock to sell anyway?! Really bummed out, I bought so much gear there over the years.

Surfcaster

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in everyone! I've decided not to go for it though. I've noticed some things in the pictures that looked like there were some issues and asked the seller, so I didn't feel comfortable buying like that. Especially because I can buy new at that price.

Got unlucky right away though. Drove an hour and a half to my closest music store, because I had twice played a Standard 60s in Iced Tea burst there that I really liked. So I went there in the hopes they still had it, and they did, and I still loved it...

... But they wouldn't sell it to me, because they didn't have any more of that finish in stock, and they wanted to keep that one on the wall. Totally bonkers to me, because why would want to leave a model on the wall for customers to sell, if you don't have any in stock to sell anyway?! Really bummed out, I bought so much gear there over the years.
They won't sell you the guitar? Seriously? What kind of candy-a business is that? You should post their name here...that is just WRONG and unethical IMO.

John Nada

Reaction score
They won't sell you the guitar? Seriously? What kind of candy-a business is that? You should post their name here...that is just WRONG and unethical IMO.
It was Music Store in Cologne, Germany. And yeah for me this was baffling. Been a regular customer there for years, but this was really shitty.

I'm going to my favorite non-big box store in the Netherlands on Saturday. They've got some Classics and Standards in stock and I bought my current #1 Les Paul there. They're really nice people and although they're more expensive and a longer drive away, I'm done with the big stores and I hope to finalize my #2 Les Paul journey there.

55special

Reaction score

I have never heard of a store refusing to sell a guitar because it's the last one? There is always a "last one." That logic makes no sense. If they're an authorized Gibson dealer, I'm sure Gibson would have a serious issue with that.

But yes, best to move on and not give them any more of your business. I hope you find the guitar you're looking for at the next store. I have a good feeling a much nicer one awaits!

John Nada

Reaction score
I have never heard of a store refusing to sell a guitar because it's the last one? There is always a "last one." That logic makes no sense. If they're an authorized Gibson dealer, I'm sure Gibson would have a serious issue with that.

But yes, best to move on and not give them any more of your business. I hope you find the guitar you're looking for at the next store. I have a good feeling a much nicer one awaits!
Yeah it makes no sense. Seems like they're doing too well, or they just don't care enough. Keep a guitar on the wall to push people into presales for the next shipment, instead of making a regular customer happy. Makes no sense.

But this might happen for a reason. The store I'm going to on Saturday are really nice people who take care of their customers. They have an Iced Tea, Unburst and all the Classics in stock. And I know already that at least one of them has a good weight for me.

The store I visited today did have two Classic Honeybursts that they did allow me to buy, but one looked bleached like a stone washed jeans and the other was a boat anchor. What is it with some USA Gibsons that makes them looks so weird and bleached? I've also seen it on many Unbursts. It's really weird.

Latest Threads