Is a 2007 Standard yay or nay? Tell me more about them please!

John Nada

Reaction score
Currently looking for a new Les Paul, and I'm also checking out the used market. I've got the option to buy a Standard from 2007 with a Plus top. He's asking about the same price as the current Standards are brand new from the store, but I'm not sure wether these are worth that much or not.

What I like about this guitar is the fact that it's supposed to have a nice 50s style neck (that's not as big as the current ones), esthetically it has a nice top and finish that suit my taste and it has knobs and tuners I would prefer on a Les Paul. Plus a dark rosewood fretboard, since I really don't like pale looking ones. And it's 7.63lbs, which would be good for my shoulder...

... but I would also guess these are chambered? I don't know if I would mind that, I'm looking for a more lightweight Les Paul anyways.

I'm still gathering information about these models though. The seller doesn't know a lot about what he has, but maybe some of you do. Did these have satin finish? Certain things I'd need to know or look out for? Any experiences?

This is a photo of the guitar along with the add:

ab1fe9ed-37cd-47b2-8de2-2966fcaff4e4.jpg

Surfcaster

Reaction score
I purchased a 2004 Ebony Standard last fall at a Guitar Show. He had it listed at $1850, I offered $1700 and we agreed to $1750. It came with one of those Canadian made cases. It plays like a dream. The moment I sat there in the booth and played it acoustically, I knew it was a keeper. I cannot tell if it is chambered or not, it's heavy but not crazy heavy. I believe the pickups are Burstbucker 1 and 2, but I did not pop them out yet. And it has a slimmer 60's neck, which I prefer.

Afterwards, I have read that the Standards made from 2003 to about 2008 are much desired and very well made. It's right up there with a 1969 Deluxe I once owned as far as playability and tone.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
It is, indeed, chambered. The pickups are some iteration of Burstbuckers, probably Pros, with unbalanced coils that go after the PAF sound. I guess this one has a 50s neck, from your description. Standards are full gloss, so no satin paint on this guitar. Beautiful top!

John Nada

Reaction score
I purchased a 2004 Ebony Standard last fall at a Guitar Show. He had it listed at $1850, I offered $1700 and we agreed to $1750. It came with one of those Canadian made cases. It plays like a dream. The moment I sat there in the booth and played it acoustically, I knew it was a keeper. I cannot tell if it is chambered or not, it's heavy but not crazy heavy. I believe the pickups are Burstbucker 1 and 2, but I did not pop them out yet. And it has a slimmer 60's neck, which I prefer.

Afterwards, I have read that the Standards made from 2003 to about 2008 are much desired and very well made. It's right up there with a 1969 Deluxe I once owned as far as playability and tone.
What I've read about the neck is that it's a more rounded medium C, not the broad shouldered neck that's currently on the Standard 50s. If someone could confirm that, would be great.

It is, indeed, chambered. The pickups are some iteration of Burstbuckers, probably Pros, with unbalanced coils that go after the PAF sound. I guess this one has a 50s neck, from your description. Standards are full gloss, so no satin paint on this guitar. Beautiful top!
Well, it will be less glossy by now I think. Could it be that they didn't use grain filler on these?

By the way, the pickups are going to be changed anyway to a set of Wizzs. Depending on what's in there, I might change the wiring harness as well.

John Nada

Reaction score
the 08's are the ones to avoid imo. they were chambered with neutrick jacks
Yeah there seems to be a period starting from '08 where they started fooling around with a lot of modern upgrades. Ofcourse you could say the same about chambering, but if I can't see it and it takes the weight down it might be okay. But I have no experience with weight relieved guitars.

Neofelis Nebulosa

Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple posts. Operator error lol

If that 2007 weighs 7.63 lbs, it would be high on my list to purchase.
Looks like a good looking top.
Neutrick jack started in 2008 and it's no big deal. Can be swapped out easily.

Oh...I have to push in the little actuator to release the cable...THE HORROR !!!

My chambered LP sings at low volume with a light or heavy pick attack.
I'm just a home player. Very happy with a lightweight Les Paul.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
What I've read about the neck is that it's a more rounded medium C, not the broad shouldered neck that's currently on the Standard 50s. If someone could confirm that, would be great.

Well, it will be less glossy by now I think. Could it be that they didn't use grain filler on these?

By the way, the pickups are going to be changed anyway to a set of Wizzs. Depending on what's in there, I might change the wiring harness as well.
I think the neck will be either as you describe, or like a 2008, with a very comfortable 60's asymmetric carve. As far as the paint goes, if this is a real Standard, the back was definitely treated with grain filler before the nitro went on. Just like the new ones. And it will still be quite glossy, top and back.

geezbill

Reaction score
Yeah there seems to be a period starting from '08 where they started fooling around with a lot of modern upgrades. Ofcourse you could say the same about chambering, but if I can't see it and it takes the weight down it might be okay. But I have no experience with weight relieved guitars.
the issue with the chamering in '08 was they removed too much wood. the weight came way down under 8 lbs. So it was not uncommon to find a 7.x lb LP. The tone suffered imo.

John Nada

Reaction score
the issue with the chamering in '08 was they removed too much wood. the weight came way down under 8 lbs. So it was not uncommon to find a 7.x lb LP. The tone suffered imo.
Is there a difference then between the chambering in 2007 vs 2008?

sparky2

Reaction score
John,

When you hold it and play it, you'll know if it's right for you.
Somebody else's opinion (including mine) won't matter one iota at that point.

(That's if you intend to try it out in person before buying it.)

If, on the other hand, you wish to buy the guitar from long distance, and have it shipped to you, then all bets are off.

Our opinions still won't matter, but you will be rolling the dice on either receiving a guitar that you love or one that you hate.

Can't win at craps if you don't roll the dice.
;)

John Nada

Reaction score
John,

When you hold it and play it, you'll know if it's right for you.
Somebody else's opinion (including mine) won't matter one iota at that point.

(That's if you intend to try it out in person before buying it.)

If, on the other hand, you wish to buy the guitar from long distance, and have it shipped to you, then all bets are off.

Our opinions still won't matter, but you will be rolling the dice on either receiving a guitar that you love or one that you hate.

Can't win at craps if you don't roll the dice.
;)
I totally agree. I will be meeting with the seller, as he won't ship it anyway. Ofcourse it's a matter wether I like it or not, as I too feel that's the most important part. I would just like to know a bit more about these guitars as it's quite the drive and I could get a new Standard at the same price point. Just to know if it's worth checking out.

bennyboy

Reaction score
As someone else said, ultimately it's down to you and if you like it when you play it.
Just to -hopefully- help, the date range someone mentioned is actually 2002 - late 2006, where you can generally find some very nice guitars. I don't go in for the whole good year/bad year thing, but there were certain specs that appealed to me and the 2002-2006 fit the bill. They have the 'swiss cheese' weight relief, that Gibson has done since '83 I believe. After that, they went to the more drastic weight relief. That's either a good thing or a bad thing or a meh thing, depending on your viewpoint. An '07 should be this latter type as stated above.
Almost every '02-'06 I tried, I liked, but I settled on my early '06, plus top, 50's neck. The neck on mine is by no means large - the seller actually thought it was a 60's until I checked the pickup cavity - but it's nicely 'full' in the hand when playing. I assume, the '07 50's neck would be similar?
Either way, that's a lovely looking guitar, Desert Burst maybe, judging by the spray pattern?
I hope it works out for you.

John Nada

Reaction score
As someone else said, ultimately it's down to you and if you like it when you play it.
Just to -hopefully- help, the date range someone mentioned is actually 2002 - late 2006, where you can generally find some very nice guitars. I don't go in for the whole good year/bad year thing, but there were certain specs that appealed to me and the 2002-2006 fit the bill. They have the 'swiss cheese' weight relief, that Gibson has done since '83 I believe. After that, they went to the more drastic weight relief. That's either a good thing or a bad thing or a meh thing, depending on your viewpoint. An '07 should be this latter type as stated above.
Almost every '02-'06 I tried, I liked, but I settled on my early '06, plus top, 50's neck. The neck on mine is by no means large - the seller actually thought it was a 60's until I checked the pickup cavity - but it's nicely 'full' in the hand when playing. I assume, the '07 50's neck would be similar?
Either way, that's a lovely looking guitar, Desert Burst maybe, judging by the spray pattern?
I hope it works out for you.
So I guess the biggest difference would be the type of weight relief?

No idea what the color is. I thought it might be a honeyburst, the seller doesn't seem to know himself. But what's in a name.

55special

Reaction score
I think the one standout feature of that guitar is the weight. It certainly has a nice top, but I don't think it would be too difficult to find another Standard with a similar top. If it's the same price as a new one, I would be inclined to try a new one so you can actually play a few. I've never met a guitar more unpredictable than a Les Paul. A great one is obvious and a lot of them can be immediate "no's."

I can also confirm the early 2000's are amazing guitars. I have a 2002 Standard and haven't bought another Les Paul since because I haven't seen a nicer one. Sure, there are fancier tops and that sort of thing but the build on that guitar is perfect. They don't even come out of the Custom Shop like that any more. I bought my first Les Paul since that one a couple of days ago. It's an extremely nice guitar. But when you get up close, the binding and fret nibs aren't on the same level as the 2002. They are making much nicer guitars now though than they were just a couple of years ago. I was legitimately impressed.

bennyboy

Reaction score
Biggest difference compared to? A 2006 or a 2019 onwards? (new).
If the former, then yes that's going to be probably the biggest difference, if the latter, then the new specs are a fair bit different - no weight relief, thinner binding etc etc.

bennyboy

Reaction score
Oh and you should be able to tell the colour from the writing inside the pickup cavity - for example mine is LP5+HCB (Les Paul 50's Plus Heritage Cherry Burst).
I guessed Desert Burst for that one ^ because whenever I see it's sprayed like that, with less of the darker colour by the pickup selector. Less of the 'teardrop' fade you get on Honeyburst etc. I'm not sure why they did it, but just know that every DB I saw was like it.

Latest Threads