is a 1970 Les Paul Standard a possibility?

jbash

Reaction score
Assuming one special ordered full size humbuckers?

Reason I ask, is in the Alex Lifeson gear auction next week, they are claiming his original Tobaccoburst Standard is a 1970 model. I always figured it for a 73 or 74 as that is when he purchased it.

You can download the auction catalog at the following link (it's huge- 460 + pages, and he's selling a pile of Gibsons vintage, norlin era, and newer, along with PRS, etc).

The guitar in question is on page 26 of the PDF (page 22 per catalog numbering)

PDF file of the Auction Catalog

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I'd love to hear the opinions of @HardCore Troubadour and @mudface about the year of this one. Volute size might be a clue. Also curious about the TRC, which I suspect might not be original.

A few things I notice that are different from my 71-72: Top hat knobs vs. reflectors, bursted back vs. dark back, Standard TRC vs. Deluxe. Obviously mine has the embossed covers and stock tuners. Otherwise they look similar.

1652582992407.jpg

Screenshot_20220514-230004_Drive.jpg

Judging from this photo, Alex's guitar originally had reflectors like mine, and also appears to have a small script TRC (though it's hard to make out).

Screenshot_20220514-233421_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you are correct about the small script TRC, and that is what it would have had if it were a made to order Standard up until 74/75.....that pic looks correct.

I will say that every factory Standard from this early time period I have seen has been tobacco burst.

Big, squared off heel looks correct for the time period.

I am guessing that they have verified through pot codes etc. at some point.

Says he purchased in 1974 so you know it was before the Standard came back as regular production.....

Simple fact is, Gibson did make some to order with with full size HB's.

also remember that the ONLY difference between an early 70's Deluxe and an early 70's Standard, was the pick ups....everything else was EXACTLY the same.

This ticks all of the boxes as being an early 70's factory HB Standard, from the pics and the info.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
Thanks for the FYI, everyone!

I knew the guitar had been through a bunch of hardware and pickup changes during the 70s from the pics I've seen over the years. And even though they state "original" for it's condition now, I knew the knobs at least are not original along with the tuners. As you can see in the pics it has had plastic and metal jackplates too, so unsure what it has now from the current pics.

I was mainly curious if Gibson would have done a "custom order" Standard this early.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Assuming one special ordered full size humbuckers?

Reason I ask, is in the Alex Lifeson gear auction next week, they are claiming his original Tobaccoburst Standard is a 1970 model. I always figured it for a 73 or 74 as that is when he purchased it.

You can download the auction catalog at the following link (it's huge- 460 + pages, and he's selling a pile of Gibsons vintage, norlin era, and newer, along with PRS, etc).

The guitar in question is on page 26 of the PDF (page 22 per catalog numbering)

PDF file of the Auction Catalog
I think his guitars will sell for a premium price, there has to be hefty markup on instruments from a famous musician.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the FYI, everyone!

I knew the guitar had been through a bunch of hardware and pickup changes during the 70s from the pics I've seen over the years. And even though they state "original" for it's condition now, I knew the knobs at least are not original along with the tuners. As you can see in the pics it has had plastic and metal jackplates too, so unsure what it has now from the current pics.

I was mainly curious if Gibson would have done a "custom order" Standard this early.
Earliest i have seen date from 1970,.... most if not all were Tobacco Sunburst. Though some that have a Cherry Sunburst with a brown back are actually factory routed for Humbucker Deluxes. Though all of them "standard' or "deluxe" with factory routed humbuckers were dealer custom ordered for a customer or the dealership until late 1974 when the "Standard" was in full production.

darkvoice

Reaction score
From catalogue, page 22:
A 1970 Gibson Les Paul Standard electric guitar acquired by Alex Lifeson
$ 100,000- $ 200,000

That's a hefty chunk of cash!

Last edited:

Latest Threads