Is a ‘67 Les Paul possible?

Bryansamui

Reaction score
Gibson would make anything for the right money..They made Jimmy Page a EDS 1275 in 1971 which wasn't in the catalogue. That was a custom order.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Hi guys, firstly to answer your question "Is a 1967 Les Paul possible" the answer is "Yes, you may find a Les Paul made in 1967 but it would be a 1968 Model due to the Manufacturing changeover of Model Years, usually October, but the serial number would most likely be 1968 also.
Is this LPS a 1967 - absolutely not. Firstly it would have had P90s, been a gold top and had a different 'Gibson' logo. The volute was introduced in very late 1969 also, but the oval around the s# is more likely from 1976. The 70 - 77 logo had no dot on the 'I' and the 68-69 logo had open 'B' and "O" in them. It also lacks the Holly Veneer on the headstock (discontinued in 1970) and whilst the serial number did appear in 1967, it also was used in 1973 and 1976. Also the "Standard" was a 2 full-size humbucker Model which made its debut in 1976 onto the Market. NOTE: Original 50s LPs were not called 'Standard'. - It may be that Ricks Guitars is dyslexic and he really means 1976?
I have added pics to show the variations below and whilst they are LPC, Gibson did not use a different MOP logo between Customs, Deluxes and Standards.

Attachments

• 1960 logo.jpg
    1960 logo.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 1968 logo.jpg
    1968 logo.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1974 logo.jpg
    1974 logo.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1979 logo.jpg
    1979 logo.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 34

ARandall

Reaction score
Les Pauls were reintroduced in 68 - there was no 67 production fullstop. In fact they came in about July. They were not made at all between 60 and 67.....and there was no 'late 1967 production but marked as 68 ser#'. Plus there are no such things as 67 serial numbers that would read as 68. All of the 6 digit numbers were used almost randomly right up until 75. In fact this last bit of Kalamazoo production before the stickers used up most of the leftover 6 digit numbers from every digit range.

Maybe you should read info from someone who really knows what they are talking about:

52-62

Reaction score
In the mid 70s a friend in Philly had a tobacco sunburst carved top single cutaway Les Paul in original condition that was built about 1962, black plastic and single coil special pickups, triple binding like a 335, binding on headstock, rosewood fingerboard. I was well versed in Les Pauls and have never heard of another like it.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sure it makes sense, and I have seen another stamped 00 serial number (not a decal) and there has been lots of discussion here about it…….

That oval indentation was for the decal (even if there was not one, several early models had an oval stamped to show the location where the decal would go,…you can see it on @John Vasco 76.

Those engraved plates you mentioned were not close to the same size and there was no intention for them…

I can vaguely remember seeing something about an obviously mid 70s LP having a stamped serial number starting 00xxxx, which made no sense. The conclusion after much headscratching and research was that it was a 1976 guitar (which should have had the deacal serial no.) that had been returned to Gibson for a complete neck replacement. To allow it to keep it's original serial number it was stamped into the headstock. The fact there is an oval shaped indentation suggest it may have been a neck originally intended for one of the limited runs of the late 70s, early 80s, that had engraved plates fitted.

If it was a single cut, it was a 1968….even if it had 67 pots.

There absolutely WERE Les Paul Standards in 67…..they were double cuts.

Good luck with this………
The 70 - 77 logo had no dot on the 'I' and the 68-69 logo had open 'B' and "O" in them.

There are lots of threads and pics here for you to go check out on this statement.

Last edited:

1allspub

Reaction score
I’m not saying this is a real 67 LP. In fact, 100% it’s not. But there are a few oddball post-1960 single cut (ie, not the SG body, but the regular LP body) LPs out there. For example, there are a very few genuine documented LPCs from 1961... maybe a Standard or two as well (from 61, maybe 62 at the latest that were one-off special orders). But nothing from as late as 1967.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ The 61's were guitars made in 1960 but that due to low demand went out in 61 (or later). In all cases those 61's were LPC models.....I've never come across any sunbursts examples of these in any threads mentioning later than 1960 Les Pauls.
Its like you can find gold PAF pickups in guitars well after the pat# was introduced simply as the pickups just weren't used as regularly so there were still stocks of them.
Of course it is easy to find explanations of things going out later in every case - somebody 'finds' something thats been stuck in a shelf or at the back of storage.
You cannot 'find' something from a time before they started to be made.

vreaux

Reaction score
Like the hustler who claimed to be Sidney Portier's son, it's a test to see if you really know anything about what you're getting into. about

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Probably the only verifiable 1967 Les Paul. It’s the Shanks guitar. It’s legit.

Attachments

• 4B210782-1424-4D36-B66D-B5B2C051B5CC.jpeg
    4B210782-1424-4D36-B66D-B5B2C051B5CC.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 47

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Reaction score
That particular seller has been called out many times for selling fakes and misrepresenting items.
No way I'd deal with him.
It's a good thing Reverb polices its site so well and bans fraudulent sellers. :rolleyes:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
In the mid 70s a friend in Philly had a tobacco sunburst carved top single cutaway Les Paul in original condition that was built about 1962, black plastic and single coil special pickups, triple binding like a 335, binding on headstock, rosewood fingerboard. I was well versed in Les Pauls and have never heard of another like it.
335s have single binding.

ARandall

Reaction score
You have a serial number. You have pot date codes. You have the people at Gibson verifying it. I’d called that “verifiable.”
Serial # - those 6 digit numbers were used in random batches and appeared multiple times in the early 70's as well so this is not reliable.
Pot codes are not indicative either. Pots were never used in a FIFO arrangement at Gibson, and often times you have pots in guitars that date 2 years earlier than when the guitar actually was released or shipped. So this is not reliable either.
The 'people at Gibson verifying it' is at this stage not supported. Proving this with a link is really what you should have been doing in your reply from the outset. No search I've done has any knowledge of this guitar, and thats a direct search.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Serial # - those 6 digit numbers were used in random batches and appeared multiple times in the early 70's as well so this is not reliable.
Pot codes are not indicative either. Pots were never used in a FIFO arrangement at Gibson, and often times you have pots in guitars that date 2 years earlier than when the guitar actually was released or shipped. So this is not reliable either.
The 'people at Gibson verifying it' is at this stage not supported. Proving this with a link is really what you should have been doing in your reply from the outset. No search I've done has any knowledge of this guitar, and thats a direct search.

I don’t need to prove anything, and a link to what? Private emails? Get real, Serial number is traceable in the log book, which Gibson has. The skepticism of anybody not buying it doesn’t matter. It’s not for sale anyway.

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alleged Shanks 1967 LP Standard. Video starts with case opening by Mark Agnesi.

Latest Threads