Is a ‘67 Les Paul possible?

Bryansamui

Reaction score
Fake?yes by the looks..But is is a 67 possible?...Why wouldn't it be? It's like arguing that a 1971 EDS 1275 Doubleneck ( not in catalogue) was impossible, which is wrong .At least one clearly does exist.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fake?yes by the looks..But is is a 67 possible?...Why wouldn't it be? It's like arguing that a 1971 EDS 1275 Doubleneck ( not in catalogue) was impossible, which is wrong .At least one clearly does exist.
It has too many '70s design bits. The seller was known for misinforming and being less than honest.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh.

Did Reverb give Rick's Guitars the old heave-ho?

View attachment 639736

ETA: Serial # 003003 shows up as 1967 Kalamazoo on Guitarinsite, if that matters.

View attachment 639737
The first listing of that serial number says 1960 (only applies to solidbody).... manufactured in Nashville........ was no Nashville plant in 1960.... and this is from Gibson?

Those guitar dater sites are B.S.

zak9990

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That particular seller has been called out many times for selling fakes and misrepresenting items.
No way I'd deal with him.
You're right, I emailed him a few times just to fish out some sketchy stuff he had listed, he never replied.

dscottyg

Reaction score
I’ve always read that Gibson stopped making Les Pauls once they started making SGs in the early 60s, and then started making them again in 1968.

mr.coleslaw

Reaction score
Interestingly he doesn’t present photos of the pickup cavity or the pots. Neck volute points definatly to 70s.

skydog

Reaction score

KCBones

Reaction score
I'm no expert but the volute looks wrong, the headstock shape looks wrong, and I can't really tell from the pics but it almost looks like it could have a pancake body. Not to mention the Deluxe truss rod cover. It seems an awful lot like a '70s deluxe converted to a standard.

alanjohnlew

Reaction score
I can vaguely remember seeing something about an obviously mid 70s LP having a stamped serial number starting 00xxxx, which made no sense. The conclusion after much headscratching and research was that it was a 1976 guitar (which should have had the deacal serial no.) that had been returned to Gibson for a complete neck replacement. To allow it to keep it's original serial number it was stamped into the headstock. The fact there is an oval shaped indentation suggest it may have been a neck originally intended for one of the limited runs of the late 70s, early 80s, that had engraved plates fitted.

Reaction score

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Coincidentally enough, I was reading this thread while I was waiting to have breakfast with, wait for it… John Shanks. I asked him about the guitar. It has 1967 pots, is all black, wrap tail with P 90s, and all the hallmarks of a late 60s Gibson. It is a true one off, and he even found it in a Japanese collector book, that verify the whole story. It was either an employee guitar, or a custom order. I should have him give me the serial number, and ask Matt to look it up.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Not to mention, I've looked at multiple 1967 Gibson headstocks and none of the models share this 70's styled font and headstock shape for that specific year. Maybe they meant to type 1976 in their add? That would make some sense...Except they did it twice.

Bryansamui

Reaction score
I’ve always read that Gibson stopped making Les Pauls once they started making SGs in the early 60s, and then started making them again in 1968.
Yes, you are correct with your production dates..My comment was that a 1967 could have been made as a one off custom order as was the case with Jimmy Page ordering a 'one off ' Double Neck in 1971. The EDS 1275 Doubleneck wasn't in the catalogue in 1971 but Jimmy got one made..If Elvis Presley had wanted a Brand New Les Paul in 1967, Gibson would have made it.

Bryansamui

Reaction score
Coincidentally enough, I was reading this thread while I was waiting to have breakfast with, wait for it… John Shanks. I asked him about the guitar. It has 1967 pots, is all black, wrap tail with P 90s, and all the hallmarks of a late 60s Gibson. It is a true one off, and he even found it in a Japanese collector book, that verify the whole story. It was either an employee guitar, or a custom order. I should have him give me the serial number, and ask Matt to look it up.

Latest Threads