Is $11K too much for a 61 SG with a headstock repair?

BigJim

Reaction score
Even if it has untouched PAFs?

Asking for a friend...

Goldtopper

Reaction score
For me?

Yes.

For you? (Or "your friend"?)

Dunno.

If I had $11k to spend on a cool guitar, I reckon I could something better than an SG with a broken headstock.

Just sayin.

But if you've always lusted after a '61 SG more than anything else in this world *and* your budget tops out at around $11k?

Might be worth it?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even if it has untouched PAFs?

Asking for a friend...
If you plan to separate the pickups and guitar and resell them separately, there is room for some profit there. If you plan to play it, depends on the guitar and how much you like it.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Yes. In fact, you could probably find a player-grade, unbroken one for south of $10K.

I had the chance to get one for $4,500, from my uncle, a couple of years ago, but due to alot of unforeseen medical issues with the wife, it just wasn't in the cards.

moreles

Reaction score
Too much for whom? Not for the market, certainly, but for most of us and certainly for me, I would never spend that much for that guitar. I could swing the money, but for that? Nope.

DaveSG

Reaction score
The guitar market is really, really hot right, at least for certain models. I see a lot of really high asking prices. With people more at home these days, and more people turning to guitar for some mental peace and maybe some other reasons, I've seen the market really booming and the prices reflect it. No sense to wait if you want something now, but I wonder if we'll see a bit of a bubble burst in a couple years once people realize the end of the world didn't happen and there are bills to pay. I'd love to pick up a lovely pair of 64s (SG Standard and ES-335) but I don't like the prices I'm seeing currently. Will they continue to climb, or crash? Whose to say. I remember when prices were sky high (around 04-06 I think), I remember seeing a '61 hack monster of an SG for sale for I think around $7800, or so my mind recalls. I remember ebony block SGs were around 20-25k, with sideways trem 61-63s in the 15-20k range. I think we are there or approaching there, but I'm thinking (rather hoping) it will come back down.

If you are in the market, just watch those neck heels!

Latest Threads