Is “tune once and done” a myth?

dumeril7

Reaction score
Some players are a lot more sensitive to their tuning than others. Candidly,I hear a lot of players who I think are in desperate need of a tuning intervention. But there are players who are way more discerning than I am - Steve Morse tunes his guitar between every song and I doubt very seriously it’s an issue with his guitar.

D7

Roxy13

Reaction score
My guitars are all defective and need to be tuned if they haven't been played for awhile.

On the other hand I have a friend who is too cheap to run his heat or AC so his house is freezing cold all winter and oven hot in the summer. He claims none of his guitars have needed to be tuned in years.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Myth - it is impossible for a normal guitar to be in tune. Period. Skrate frets. Math and shit.... We have been conditioned to accept a margin of error as in-tune.

Disregarding physics and math, "in-tune" has changed over a bunch of decades. We have been 'conditioned' to accept a "perfectly tuned" guitar is in tune when it is not. The margin of error has greatly decreased over the years with the availability of tuners which increase in accuracy over time....

A piano is a good example of 'tuning'... Some folks can listen to any piano being played from saloon to concert stage and enjoy it. Some of us can hear a piano and want to puke it is so out of tune "to us".

Folks with perfect pitch can be extremely irritated with about any pitched instrument.
Perfect pitch (rare) is pretty much being able to hear a freaking horn in the distance and tell you what NOTE it is and whether it is sharp of flat or hearing a passage and scoring it on manuscript from memory... You hear actual recognized notes. (some of us hear colors.)

Relative pitch is far more common.... You can spot anything out of tune by varying degrees.

Negative freaking pitch ability.... If one needs explanation for this, one might be a Buford.

Sooo, a guitar 'can' sustain 'in-tune' within a margin of error over a period of time but it is NOT actually in-tune.

Years back, I played a Rhodes. I had to learn to be consistent with force to play in tune as it can change on attack and settle down post attack.... Damn thing drove me nuts having to lift the top and tune tines during a break because a couple notes would drive me up the wall being a touch off... Guitarist and bassist thought it was in-tune... It wasn't.... Heard a Rhodes patch on a DW8000 and wound up with a couple of em...among other digitals/hybrids... It was 'in-tune' all the time... ;)

It's all relative.... Kinda like sampling freq & bit rez.....

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
With almost all of mine, it varies wildly betwixt staying in tune for a week or more (whether played or not) and needing touched up every song or three.

"Almost" because I except the classical; every time I pick it up, it's way off.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
The margin of error has greatly decreased over the years with the availability of tuners which increase in accuracy over time....

A strobe tuner - available for many, many decades - have accuracy of ±0.01 cent; the only newer tuners that do better than ± 1 cent are virtual strobes. $3 clamp-on or $450 rackmount, ± 1 cent.

Perfect pitch (rare) is pretty much being able to hear a freaking horn in the distance and tell you what NOTE it is and whether it is sharp of flat or hearing a passage and scoring it on manuscript from memory...

That's perfect ear; perfect pitch is when I say "ehb, give us A below middle C" and you sing it exactly (I used to have a girlfriend with both; she tuned pianos & harpsichords with a strobe, then corrected it by ear....)

Nintari

Reaction score
My Southern Jumbo stays in tune, pretty much forever. At least once the strings settle in after a change. Yes, it doesn't stay in perfect pitch, but most people wouldn't notice. I only tune it every few days because my ears are super sensitive. If they weren't, who knows how long I might be able to go without tuning it up.

As for my Strat... that thing needs a tune every handful of songs. lol

pondcaster

Reaction score
In my experiences, some do (stay in tune) and some need a slight tweaking due to environmental variables every time you pick them up.

No big deal and I tend to tune them everytime before I play but for whatever reasons my standard always needs an adjustment, my classic as well. But the tribute can go a while without any tuning is necessary.

And my jazz bass stays in tune for months?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some guitars that will remain in tune for a few days.
I have others that the "G" seems to go flat within hours.

Surprisingly (and thankfully) my Sigma 12 string used to be VERY stable (I haven't had it out in years), my Taylors are also pretty solid.

Standard

Reaction score
My PRS only goes out of tune if the weather changes, like seasonal changes. Everything else is a crap shoot, my tele will go out of tune too but its even across every string so it's still technically in tune with itself.

As for Gibsons? They usually stay in tune for a while (day or so) after the strings are broken in.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A strobe tuner - available for many, many decades - have accuracy of ±0.01 cent; the only newer tuners that do better than ± 1 cent are virtual strobes. $3 clamp-on or $450 rackmount, ± 1 cent.

Pretty much know about strobes and such…
Most folks had no access nor could afford a StroboConn or the like….

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
My Peterson clip is .1 cent… Close enough for me…..’
Yeah, my bad; clumsy fingers hit an extra 0. ± 0.1 cent is strobe (and, like yours, virtual strobe) accuracy; they're only 10 times better than anything else, not 100 times.

And I got my Conn ST=11 on Evil-Bay for a mere $85 (I was taking Ambien at the time; was shocked when I got the e-mail that I'd won the auction, as I had no memory of seeing the thing, let alone bidding on it........)

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Peterson clip is .1 cent… Close enough for me…..’
Yep... that's pretty much my go-to.
I'll use the Peterson HD benchtop (the LCD, not the real strobe) for intonation and setup, but for day to day tuning, the clip-on works just fine.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
If your guitar doesn't go out of tune you either have locking tuners, don't bend strings much / at all, or you don't play much. Even with locking tuners the guitar can go out a bit, at least until the strings are fully stretched.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Remember these damn things...

360273000000000-00-290x290.jpg

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only two out of the masses of mine, I would consider more stable than the rest. my '94 Ibanez talman and 2020 epi modern. I fiddle with the rest of them on initial playtime.

MP4-22

Reaction score
It's a myth....

But about 3 of my guitars will stay perfectly in tune really well, maybe couple days... a week in the case, the others not so much, maybe a few hours.

Latest Threads