Iron Gear Tesla Sharks - thoughts/opinions?

Spiteface

Reaction score
A new set of pickups for my Edwards LP copy is an idea I've been floating around for a while now, and have often been considering a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros, possibly even the Slash set.

I should make it clear that "Slashtone" isn't something I'm deliberately chasing, but I do like the sounds of his signature Gibsons like the Appetite from a few years back and the newer variants the Vermillion and Rosso Corsa. So to get in the ballpark of that kind of sound, a change of pickups makes sense, given the couple of grand for an actual Gibson is well out of the price range of someone like me on Jobseekers allowance, and no sign of an Epiphone run of this year's models (yet). So I'm getting some money - £100 from some loved ones for Christmas, and this has made me consider new pickups again. I'm also getting rid of one or two bits of gear that I've been meaning to for some time, so I was thinking of putting the money from that with this christmas money.

HOWEVER! I recently got told about Iron Gear pickups on another forum I post, and how great they are for the price. I then see they do these:

IronGear Pickups - Tesla Shark

Given the stealth-pun name (Te-:slash:-arks) and references to shades and top hats, it's fairly obvious what these are meant to emulate. Pricing appears to be less than HALF the cost of the duncans. So my question is: Have any of you guys tried these, and are they worth a go? There aren't many demos of these particular ones on youtube, and their own demos all seem to use too much gain to really tell much about them.

Spiteface

Reaction score
100+ views and no replies?

Never mind, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Tesla Sharks anyway. Black, open-coil. With postage, just under £72. For comparison, the best deal I can seem to find on a set of the Duncan Slash set is £159, and about £130-140 on a pair if regular A2Ps. And from the couple of demos I've heard of the Tesla Sharks, twice the price does not equal it being twice as good.

I'll make a post, probably in this thread, when they arrive and I get 'em installed.

EDIT: Arrived this morning. Taking my guitar to my usual shop to get them fitted on Monday.

RichBrew

Reaction score
From my experience with IronGear pickups they will be more than okay, although I confess I have not tried their single coils.

RichBrew

Latest Threads