IR loader pedal ideas.... please help!!

5F6-A

Reaction score
This is my situation. I have a 5-watt valve amp that I love. Good tone and highly portable due to its 8” speaker and reduced dimensions. Unfortunately, it is not loud enough for gigging with a drummer but it has a post output transformer line out. It sounds okay but I think it lacks some of the warmth of the speaker sound. That papery, direct sound is just a tad too hard.

You can hear it here. It's clip B (clip A is my guitar through an American Sound preamp and speaker emulation pedal, actually not a bad sound).

I was thinking that a cheap IR loader pedal such as the Nux Mini Studio used with the direct out of the valve amp could be the solution. I could use the amp as a monitor through the built-in speaker, connect the direct out to the IR loader to send a signal emulating a nice speaker to PA and have the best of both worlds. Is this possible? I suppose it is but I have a few questions:

• Will the direct out signal be the right impedance for the Nux to work well?
  • Will the direct out level overwhelm the Nux?
  • Does the Nux accept a wide range of IRs?
  • Is there another alternative in the $50 to $80 price range?
Thanks guys!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I use a Mooer Radar Cab Simulator with a Two Notes Captor loadbox and with the right IR, get fabulous results.

LP1865

Reaction score
Try the Two Notes stuff. And don't be afraid to get some free IRs, they sound amazing and just as good. I have a collection of several hundred, all of them free

freefrog

Reaction score
I'd recommend Nux solid Studio for various reasons:

1) it allows to capture the sound of your loudspeaker(s) or even the power amp + cab and sounds realistic. it"s a kind of simplified Kemper, if you will...

2) it has an ultra low latency, that my Joyo Cab Box has not;

3) it has a true bypass output useable in parallel with two "wet" (processed) outputs (jack and XLR);

4) thx to its level switches, it has more headroom than many equivalent products. Not perfect but useable...

5)I like the editor.

Review with screenshots here:

Comparison with Joyo Cab box here (the Joyo Cab Box being a Mooer Radar clone with more plugs and MIDI capabilities):

FOOTNOTE - Two Notes products are excellent. I recommend the Nux for its ability to capture IR's.

EDIT of the morning - Just to be clear, I can use the Nux with each of my tube amps and what I hear through the PA is really close to what I get in the room - which is logical, since the IR's used are those that I've "captured" from my cabs with the Nux, through a SM57. I've also loaded the Nux captures in the Joyo, for the record. If I buy a third IR loader, I'll stuff it with the same collection of my cabs.

Captures are quick and easy to do. Just use a flat / FRFR / linear solid state amp if you want to capture the response of a cab alone... They even retain the response of a whole amp to some extent. That's what I use now when I play through headphones and don't want to plug one of my modelers: Pedalboard > IR loader with a "tone profile" mimicing one of my amps on clean settings.

Last edited:

eddie_bowers

Reaction score
I have been trying out the Mooer Radar for just this purpose. It works great (just disable the power amp simulator).

of course you can always mic it.

freefrog

Reaction score
As a foonote to my previous answer, I share below the frequency response of my own IR's, done with the Nux Solid Studio capturing several of my own cabs through a SM57...

i've just used an ultra linear amp set absolutely flat to power the cabs... I think that any kind of "hi-fi" solid state amp would do the job.

MyIRs.jpg

These screenshots are details of what the Nux Editor shows on a computer screen.

And they picture what I hear: a totally recognizable reproduction of my cabs... BTW, I've swapped Jensen and Eminence: the Jensen C12N is the one on the bottom left.

For the record, I've also captured the responses of...

-two "whole" amps, from guitar input to SM57;

-two power amps + cabs, through the FX return of multichannels amps.

Obviously, the Solid Studio can't "capture" the sag and tube distortion of any tube amp. BUT when it comes to frequencies, it's faithful and can therefore replace an amp set clean.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought i'd check this post out as is related to my post, i was maybe a bit dimissive of the mooer radar reading the above posts makes me think it might do the job just fine. crazy small pedal.

i ended up buying the sonicake sonic ir pedal off amazon for 40 quids. Seems to do the job very well. Good range of cab types. So with load box of your choice a very cheap addition to the arsenal.

Last edited:

Latest Threads