Invader...does it deserve a place in Norlin LPs?

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Threads do exist but they are outdated...

Because of being too much traditionalist when it comes to LPs (I mostly like juniors, and rough plain top Standards), i used to despise Invaders back in the day when they were on display in shops...bolt-on, maple, cheap looks, and I didn’t value Norlins...didn’t even know about at the time. Well I was a newbie and my taste was driven by trend, but today I grew up and learned that the best pussies aren’t those of vogue models...
So now I dig for one that I guy sells for waaay to much (1200€=1300-1400USD), but she’s in that sexy silverburst (you know a bit yellowish how are the nice ones) with screaming Dirty fingers... the sound is really crazy, punky, heavy, makes you cry!

Does someone have one ? Can we consider she’s a kind of a Norlin LP heresy ?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Norlin,...they are playable,...and they are unique. I would not call them a Les Paul.

I wouldn't mind having one,...I played a few back in the day in guitar shops,...but i wouldn't pay the $300 they wanted for them new.

I sure as shit wouldn't pay what people are asking for them now.......... too many nicer guitars for the money.

But that's just me........to each their own amigo.

Reaction score
That’s the real issue. I try to discuss with the guy and bring him to a decent 600 to 800 (€)-not an easy guy to talk to. About the 300US$ tag, there’s not a chance, I’m in Europe and it’s a 80s Gib (since vintage is hype)... They sell chinese Epis for twice that price tag
+1 for the Dirty fingers, I didn't like them even where they belong (Explorers), but here they sounded great!
As per the nickname...:dunno:

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
it's like being a great guitar player, or a great athlete, the people that are always bragging and talking about how "great" they are, or how "great" they can play, or how much sex they get etc. etc. are usually the people that are actually at the other end of the spectrum.

Reaction score
You mean the user name?
Naaah, it's only vulgarity as a lifestyle, not bragging anything, i even agree with what you say, that should make you trust what i'm saying ...
And if you still don't believe, then know that since i am single, the only pussy that i am playing with has 3 inline cylinders, 123BHP @ rear, and she's got hips sooo curvy , ok so now i :io:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
This is what we are talking about, right? Early '80s bolt-on-neck Invader? I don't even remember them. But there may be other reasons for that ...

Reaction score
Yes, thank you, correct - I mean almost, this is the one I am lurking at (1984) :
1625231005980.png

In fact, I don't even know the real model difference with the one you show, except ebony fretboard & that toggle position - that I think might be better as in your pic, with no risk to toggle pickups while playing, but should be ok though...you never go that far, even in riff fury ...But believe me she screams like an enraged dog. And I like silverburst, but here is more...mature silverburst should I say, with a yellow tint...
Agreed, I didn't remember at first (a kind of sub-studio model, and I may have seen this in the mid 90s, I was a teen and only dreamed about CS and fat customs, you know), and this one revived a lot of teenage feelings...
I can't even truly negociate with the guy right now, because I am in another LP deal that I shall not miss! Just talking...

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... except ebony fretboard & that toggle position - that I think might be better as in your pic, with no risk to toggle pickups while playing, but should be ok though...you never go that far, even in riff fury ...
That toggle position in your pic is the same as my '79 SG Std, and I ... after many decades ... have never accidentally hit it such that it changed position.

Lester

Reaction score
People seem to think everything "old" these days is valuable. I view it as a passing spike in prices. I'm certainly not going to pay serious prices for cheap off-beat guitars that aren't worth half what their usually asking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think so. Maybe I'm playing it wrong.
Interesting, do you own one? With the ebony fb and all? I may have been fooled - I heard it on a short video I’ve been sent through a serious amp, so sometimes mediocre can sound huge in the right hands and on the right amp...

As per the « vintage » hype, absolutely, yes. This is my problem, I think the asked price is not justified at all! If she comes to sound good (if...) I wouldn’t go much above 600 as I previously told but need to make the guy accept that point of view. I also don’t think that old is better because it is old... I have a few new ones that are sound & quality wise in the top: a full bodied 4knob ESP Eclipse that’s great, and a jackson KV2T that kicks all the Vs I have touched (except maybe hamers...).

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
People seem to think everything "old" these days is valuable. I view it as a passing spike in prices. I'm certainly not going to pay serious prices for cheap off-beat guitars that aren't work half what their usually asking.
I remember in the 1990s when the used market for "older Les Pauls" were over priced. Back then, I wanted a 1979 Les Paul KM, but failed to pull the trigger because it costs twice as much as a new Les Paul Standard. Well, here it is 2021, and guess what? A used 1979 Les Paul KM in good condition STILL costs right around twice the cost of a new Les Paul Standard. While I may think it is (still) over-priced, the market could care less what I think -- and prices just keep on marching upward. I have two great Les Pauls, so I can't justify an expensive (to me, anyway) purchase like that, so I am still in the "pass" mindset. But I would surely not be scolding myself now for choosing a different path back in the 1990s and buying that Les Paul KM back then.

Lester

Reaction score
I remember in the 1990s when the used market for "older Les Pauls" were over priced. Back then, I wanted a 1979 Les Paul KM, but failed to pull the trigger because it costs twice as much as a new Les Paul Standard. Well, here it is 2021, and guess what? A used 1979 Les Paul KM in good condition STILL costs right around twice the cost of a new Les Paul Standard. While I may think it is (still) over-priced, the market could care less what I think -- and prices just keep on marching upward. I have two great Les Pauls, so I can't justify an expensive (to me, anyway) purchase like that, so I am still in the "pass" mindset. But I would surely not be scolding myself now for choosing a different path back in the 1990s and buying that Les Paul KM back then.
Agreed. The market may just decide that all these "vintage" guitars that we wouldn't look at twice a few years ago will stay at the higher prices that the pandemic seems to have pushed things to. Or it may return to "normal". We'll have to wait and see.

For me personally, if I'd going to pay X amount, I want a guitar that's worth X amount, especially when I can still get a good one for X amount.

Reaction score
$300 US negotiating?
I love the maple bolt neck.
+1 believer here... Thank you, I feel a bit better :)
But I don’t dare to hope about the 300$...here they even ask a thousand for JV squiers so... France is third world for guitars...except for some very special brands, Maybach, Lâg...

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I remember watching "Say Anything" and being very puzzled by what I learned later was a black Gibson Sonex.
Thought it was cool looking and kind of an "underground" model.
Over the next years in all my regular trips to local shops I never even saw one.
So it remained a mystery.

Eventually I got to see / play a Sonex and thought it wasn't really worth the money asked.

Bear in mind that those (bolt on) models were "cheap" entry levels guitars and that's exactly
what they are. They might carry the "Gibson" aura because of the headstock and some
"Vintage" aura because of the year / period they were made but in the end they didn't get any better
than they were when they came out.

If you can play it and really bond with it instantly then you'll know if it's worth the money.
Otherwise you should pass.

Guitar value: A guitar is usually worth what you think it's worth to you.
Pay "too much" but acquire the ultimate guitar for you: fine.
Pay "not enough" and settle for a lesser guitar that doesn't excite you: bad.

Reaction score
The logic is solid and agreed, but sometimes that addiction is devouring... from that logic I could stick with my ObG junior and be happy all day long, you know...

Latest Threads