Intro from Martin

mecsw500

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Martin from Draper, Utah, USA.

I'm a bit of an amateur guitar tech. I service, repair and setup guitars for school kids in my spare time. I'm retired, but go into schools as a substitute teacher.

I like blues. My guitar hero is Rory Gallagher (RIP).

My guitar "collection" includes:

Fender Telecaster '52 Re-Issue USA 1999
Fender Telecaster Slimline '74 Re-Issue Japan 1997
Fender Stratocaster American Standard USA 2015
Fender Jazz Bass Fretless Mexico 1998
Fender Precision Bass Mexico 2004
Gretsch 2622/WS Indonesia 2015
ESP Jake E. Lee Custom Japan 1994
Gibson Les Paul Classic USA 2000
G&L Legacy USA 1998
Guild Bluesbird USA 1999
Fender Bassman 1959 Re-Issue USA 1997

So nothing counts as vintage yet. I'll just wait. I always buy things on clearance or used, usually something that needs a little TLC. I can't help myself when I see a bargain.

I hardtail all my bridges and I play on .008s. I don't get hung up on tone as my hearings aids flatten everything out anyway.

Thanks

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL!! Joins a Les Paul forum, kicks off his list with a dozen other brands, and lists one Gibson near the end!

:rofl:

I like him already! :cheers:

:welcome:

Just goes to show what a great place this is!

Folks are always welcome no matter what they chose to play!

I hardtail all my bridges and I play on .008s. I don't get hung up on tone as my hearings aids flatten everything out anyway.
OMG!! .008's!:eek2:
Ol' Rufftuff is gonna LOVE him!!!! :dude: No punched in mouth for sure!

History:
We had a guy in here years ago that said that anyone who plays heavy strings 'needs punched in mouth'. His words... So it's become a cliche~ around here.

His heros all played 8's and they played better than any of us tools in here. He said so!:rofl:

Reactions: Who

mecsw500

Reaction score
It's cause my Gibson was the latest I purchased. So I joined the forum to find out if I really did have a 2000 classic, which it seems I do.

Never had one before, just went out on a limb cause the price was right and nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It turned out to be fun, which I think might be the first of a few more. My ESP has a 24.75 inch scale length and as I enjoyed playing that I thought that might be a good enough reason to get the Gibson. Also it has a thin neck too.

Yeh, .008s I know. But I like how they feel and with my hearing aids I just turn the volume up and they sound the same as anything else to me. I tried thicker strings and I wasn't keen on them. I ended up with .008s. Anyone who picks up my guitars does a double take, checks to see if they are detuned a whole step. Lol.

However I respect anyone who plays with thicker strings, more power to them. In fact, anyone who plays with any gauge probably plays better than me! No punching from me :)

Ok, so here is a picture of my first Gibson, a 2000 Classic, fairly original apart from the tuners. Only $900 in excellent condition apart from checking on the front of the headstock. I put some more under the LP section.

IMG_20190730_082113~2.jpg

IMG_20190730_082139~2.jpg

IMG_20190730_083534~2.jpg

And here we go...

IMG_20190730_083552.jpg

I'll post some more of the others in a bit.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Martin

lakeburst

Reaction score
Hey Martin! A (very late) welcome! :welcome:

That Classic looks very nice, I dig that top! Congrats!

:applause:

My Les Paul Classifieds