Intonation

Lhdr

Reaction score
Will a snark give a decent enough reading? If not, what’s an inexpensive option.

Check every string change or gauge change? Want to try moving to 9’s.

truckermde

Reaction score
I like the pedals, like TC Polytune, but I use the snark most. Some models are more accurate that others. Check the specs...

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Peterson iStrobosoft app.
Accurate to +/- 0.1 cent.

I have the iStrobosoft app loaded on a deactivated phone with headphone / mic jack so that I can connect it directly to the SEND of the FX Loop on the amp when in loud environments.

It's spot on when I compare it to the Conn ST-11 Strobotuner.

left: Conn ST-11 Strobotuner
right: Peterson iStrobosoft app on phone

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I can’t intonate with a Snark. I’ve tuned with it before, and then plugged into a Boss TU-3 and it’s slightly out.

I would never intonate with a Snark and feel good about it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have 2 Snarks and one keeps turning out to be spot on when I then get out the Peterson strobe tuner. The other always turns out to be sharp. So unless you have the chance to compare your Snark to a strobe tuner you won't really be sure. I keep the Snark on my workbench though and use it when I'm stretching strings and to get the intonation at least close before I hook it up to the Peterson just because the strobe tuner can spark a migraine for me.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Snarks are good for what they are, for $23 they are great, but for intonation any Peterson far, far surpasses them .. setting intonation with a Snark is a very long and tedious procedure

truckermde

Reaction score

I have the iStrobosoft app loaded on a deactivated phone with headphone / mic jack so that I can connect it directly to the SEND of the FX Loop on the amp when in loud environments.

good tip, thanks!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Intonate with old strings, or make sure new ones are well stretched out.
This.
While I wouldn't say "old", you want them to have some miles on them.
But for the most part, intonation should only need to be checked/adjusted when:
Changing string gauge
Changing setup, particularly height
Changing string manufacturer.

And if you have a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo:
When you're feeling particularly masochistic......

moreles

Reaction score
If you care about intonation, don't use a Snark. For tuning on the fly while playing, OK (maybe) but for intonation? No. Since action and touch affect intonation when playing (as distinct from intonatiuon when the guitar is lying on a bench) it's way best to have a fast, accurate tuner that you don't have to handle. I find Peterson and TC Electronics stuff to be best, for me, for this. Most people don't really know how to intonate for playing, in which case any tuner will do. I like to intonate mny guitars thoroughly and do setups so they stay in tune. Well worth it.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score

Speaking as someone who used to both set-up and tune guitars & basses for a living: This, this, 1000 times this!

All the others mentioned are sorta OK for stage tuning - but for intonation, you need a strobe, either actual (like the Conn ST-11 at left - and on my bench - or an equivalent Peterson - as found in my music room) or a virtual strobe (which means Peterson; only they make them). As CerebralGasket says, ± 0.1 cent. Every other tuner I've ever checked out - from a $3 Reverb-branded clip-on to a $450 rackmount Korg - will only give you ± 1 cent.

That's 10X the accuracy for the strobe - and that's what you need for a proper set-up. Peterson also makes/has made virtual strobes in stand-up units, stompboxes, and rackmount, but (other than the app; $9.99) the most cost-effective is their clip-on; $69.99 at MF - and all have the same superb accuracy as an actual strobe tuner (which - repeating now - is 10X that of any other tuner)..

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Every other tuner I've ever checked out - from a $3 Reverb-branded clip-on to a $450 rackmount Korg - will only give you ± 1 cent.
Well, except, of course, for Henry The Slime's robot tuners, which will get to within ± 2.5 cents - per string! For those of you keeping score at home, that's a possible variation of 5 cents between each pair of strings. There is another term for this: Not Even Close To In Tune........

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
This.
While I wouldn't say "old", you want them to have some miles on them.
But for the most part, intonation should only need to be checked/adjusted when:
Changing string gauge
Changing setup, particularly height
Changing string manufacturer.

And if you have a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo:
When you're feeling particularly masochistic......
Yup, just meant to intonate before the string change...or stretch the bejezzus outta the new ones before intonating.

Latest Threads