International Gibson Shipping and Distribution Agreements

lawrev

Reaction score
I was surprised to find out recently that Gibson has shipping and distribution agreements with dealers outside the U.S. I assumed that Gibson wanted to sell as many guitars as possible, which would also include selling European located Gibsons and selling them to American customers. But I'm told that *that* practice is prohibited due to distribution agreements.

I know that private sellers of Les Pauls, for instance, will sell to American buyers, and Japanese sellers have a high profile on the internet too. Maybe the distribution contracts between Gibson and Japan stores are different than with Europe stores.

I'd love to hear more on this topic from the experts "in the know."

ARandall

Reaction score
For Gibson its more to protect the overseas dealers and retailers from people going to cheaper US sellers. But yes, agreements are part and parcel of any international company's manifesto......and have been for decades upon decades in practically every product based industry across the globe.
I mean who on earth would take on an overseas distributorship or become a retail seller if you knew people were just going to buy online/direct from the country of origin and avoid tariffs/import duties/etc etc and get it for half the price. So hence the maker helps out their intermediate buyers (and by extension the retailers) with protection/exclusivity deals, and expects them to protect every other distributor for the same reason. Thats the whole reason you have 'dealerships' in the first place.

Its also a warranty facilitation issue too.....where the local guitars are covered by the local distributor via the local retailers.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I know that private sellers of Les Pauls, for instance, will sell to American buyers, and Japanese sellers have a high profile on the internet too. Maybe the distribution contracts between Gibson and Japan stores are different than with Europe stores.
This is not an example of distribution of that's what you're thinking. Those stores all buy their guitars from somebody, that's the distributor.

Canada has one Gibson distributor and it's Yorkville Music, meaning every every Gibson dealer in Canada can only get them through Yorkville and we only get a one year warranty from Yorkville.

Latest Threads