Interesting! The Gibson Mod Collection

Prometheus

Reaction score
That's re joke. That terminology is even older than boomers. I'm a millennial.
Yeah got that lol
And I'm a millennial as well, I'm quite surprised that number of ppl having their phone next to their bed is as low as 80%

675d2559c28a822b78cc9769e73cfe38.png

juanpuol

Reaction score
She's not wrong.

[sigh] More of the same that got Gibson into trouble.

It isn't difficult
1. Make AFFORDABLE guitars for average musicians.
2. Add some simple new designs that attract younger musicians, that can be gateway guitars to other models.
3. Spend time, effort, marketing to and for the younger generations, both #2 and older models..

Because, right or wrong, this IS how too many younger players think

juanpuol

Reaction score
a lot of people care about what a 15YO thinks. Many other 15s and younger. Which will be the next generation of players and artists.

Who cares what some 15 year old YouTuber thinks? Gibson has been the $hit on by the Internet since the Internet became a thing. That's not going to change. Despite Gibson getting a lot of hate online, I've never once had someone, young or old, say anything negative to me in person about any of my Gibson guitars. On contrary, they always seem to be very complimentary and marvel at them to some extent.

lemmy loud

Reaction score
If you read the warranty info, it says there "may be cosmetic flaws" and they are not eligible for return for cosmetic issues. This seems to me that they figured out a way to recycle guitars that are returns.

Adinol

Reaction score

It isn't difficult
The problem is that Gibson is like Rolls Royce. Rolls Royce does not make affordable cars for the average driver. RR is also a company that has a lot of QC issues, etc. Building a company up as "exclusive" is not always the best business model. Once a company goes in that direction, it is almost impossible to redirect.

2. Add some simple new designs that attract younger musicians, that can be gateway guitars to other models.

3. Spend time, effort, marketing to and for the younger generations, both #2 and older models..

Agreed on both points.

Alright. She's adorable and probably fun to hang out with. She is correct on some points, but completely wrong and completely misses the point on some other points.

The LP looks like an acoustic because that's how that guitar evolved. It is heavy because every time they hollow it out they are being blasted by folks who want heavy. So now they makes some chambered ones and some full solid body for those that want that. She doesn't mention that.

The whole "ugly" thing boils down to taste. Many LP lovers also don't care for the highly figured ones, but they make those for customers who want just that. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are plenty of LP's with plain tops.

I personally love the breakable headstock feature. I'm a repair tech and that feature brings me a lot of highly paid work. Some customers even bring Gibson guitars that have been repaired once or twice before, so those customers must also like to do annual headstock repairs, as part of a Gibson guitar routine maintenance.

ArtWerkOrange

Reaction score
Yeah, I did not think it was very enjoyable, nor funny, but I see what she is trying to do. Sarcasm... I get it.

lemmy loud

Reaction score
EDIT: Agreeing with cybermgk ~ Quote did not show in this post. All subsequent ones, too ...

I totally agree. Im a Boomer and a Les Paul fan because of that. I couldnt imagine Steve Marriot, Johnny Thunders or Keith Richard slinging an Ibanez. But, Gen-Z do not have the same hero's. "Math rock" is huge. Ibanez and boutique guitar companies. Fender does do massive guitar drops to new players at every new major release. Players like Ichika Nito and Yvette Young are who they worship, and Ibanez takes care of them. A short clip of playing just for social media is the new A-side. Not too much in common with Slash and Bonnomasso. In short, everything she says, I find to be truth. But, like Harley, Gibson only hurts themselves when they move away from their bread 'n butter. Embrace the Boomer sect. It's all good. Lots of room at the table. I don't take offence at being reminded I am a "boomer" by younger players. They can have their 7 string Ibanez's, headless stuff and all that, Ill take a p90 Les Paul ... All good.

blouie

Reaction score
I think they are taking factory rejects (or more likely returns for bad quality) and putting purple pickup rings and making them sound more "cool" than standard-spec guitars. Even if they are a bit discounted (which a lot are not), they are selling them at full retail, so, they end up making more money than they would on the wholesale that goes to the dealers.

Clever business move (I guess) taking advantage of the gullible!

My humble opinion!

smallstar67

Reaction score

It isn't difficult

or, ignore this childish ignorance, let the kids do what we had to do before we could or would afford a Les Paul Custom, let them buy cheap flashy imports and learn........in the end quality needs to be appreciated by respectfully learning and growing.

TheWelder

Reaction score
a lot of people care about what a 15YO thinks. Many other 15s and younger. Which will be the next generation of players and artists.
People can formulate their own opinions, including 15 year olds. And those opinions change as you age.

15 years olds have never been the target market for Gibson.

mrblooze

Reaction score
THat is the problem. young people don't see Gibson's as a 'dream guitar'. They see them as a "never guitar". It's THAT mentality and perception that needs to be changed.
But you know, that's always been the case. It was the case in the early '70s when I picked up my first guitar. I knew a guy who had a melody maker, one with an SG (repaired headstock, or he couldn't have afforded it), and one guy from a wealthier family than the rest of us who had a Standard. Dunno if they bought it new, but it was only a couple of years old.

Everyone wanted an LP or a Strat, and after scrimping and saving, most ended up with a Strat first (after years of no-name guitars, working up through Guilds and Harmonies and Hagstroms, etc).

I got lucky. Met a professional player who was friends with the grandson of the founder of a big chain, and I got my first Strat (a '77) at cost (yep: about a third of the list price) which I sold to buy my first LP, the '71 Custom I still own.

Deals like that don't happen every day, so most just dream of that dream guitar until they can afford it, by which time, they're married with other responsibilities and still can't. I've met a few former GarageBand dreamers who, after the last kid was in high school, finally got that dream guitar, and some even play it.

But Gibson's, and Les Pauls in particular, have always been guitars that you have to work to own. Muchore so than any other.

Does an R9 sound like it's worth 5 times what my '12 Studio Shred sounded like before I pulled the 490R/498 pair, when it was still stock? Subjective question, of course, and depends on a lot of factors like amp pairing, etc., but I think that from a purely tone perspective, the answer is no. But when someone buys an R9, they're almost certainly paying for more than tone and playability and we all know this. Look at the threads, where someone shows off their collection and we all cheer: we love the looks, and the fact that someone, and maybe someday ourselves, own such a stable of fine guitars... Without hearing a note. We take it on faith that they all sound like Duane Allman and Dicky Betts on Fillmore East.

That sort of rude example of Gen Z is likely just channeling the same false disdain for something she secretly lists after that all kids do. If someone gave her a Custom Shop VOS '59, does anyone think she'd toss it for crap? Bah. It would become her prize possession, she'd sleep with the damn thing, and she'd be singing its praises on Facebook.

All Gibson has to do is make great guitars, and keep working to fix QC issues... Which has always been a rep they've had, rightly or wrongly. People bitched that they sucked until they killed the line, until everyone heard Duane, Dicky, Billy, Eric, and Peter, and screamed until it was brought back in '68. Then they bitched about Norlins as crap for almost 50 years except that now people are starting to appreciate them (as some of us have all along, but probably ONLY because we owned one, or we'd be bitching with the rest).

Nothing ever changes. We all hate on something until WE own one, then suddenly, it ain't so bad...

mrblooze

Reaction score
Listen here, old man, nobody wants to hear what you have to say about guitars. We're talking about the youths, here. They are the future. They are the only ones who matter. Have you even used an annoying voice today? Worn a sock hat? Posted a photo of a turd?

(I realized you were born about the time I graduated high school and it makes me feel old as hell)

I realize I'd been retired from the Navy for 16 years when you graduated from HS... And YOU feel old as hell?!

DonnaB

Reaction score

It isn't difficult

THat is the problem. young people don't see Gibson's as a 'dream guitar'. They see them as a "never guitar". It's THAT mentality and perception that needs to be changed.
When young people don’t want to work then they’re never going to have anything!

Peter M

Reaction score
So because one 15 year old YouTuber posts a video $hitting on Gibson, we're just going to make a blanket generalization that the entire younger generation of musicians hates Gibsons and will never purchase one? Just trying to keep up.

Hear, hear. I'm very active on Instagram and see lots of young players posting with their Epiphones and Gibsons. There is a young Gibson / Epi fanbase out there for sure. Can it be expanded? Of course, any fanbase can. Is one Youboob rant video a good barometer? Nope.

Last edited:

mrblooze

Reaction score
One last, and I'm out (probably said too much already...).

The thing about the Mod line, like everything else to me, is, how do they sound? How do they feel and play? If I like it, then it's a good. If not, then looks and price don't matter, I don't want it, unless as a challenge to see if I can mod it to MAKE it a player.

And that's why I have little fear about Gibson's perceived failure to market to the youth of today... If they have an ear, at some point in the future, some young player will rediscover that the LP is one of the most versatile guitars ever made, with an incredible sound and range of tones, and that'll inspire the same sort of buzz that brought the Les Paul back on '68, and started the re-issue craze in '82 ( which is still with us, 40 years later).

That Gen Z examplar isn't the entire generation, not the supposed 100s of others posting, and as someone else pointed out, her opinions will change over time.

I'm confident she'll love to backtrack on her current opinions when she starts chasing tone... She and many, many others.

My main axe for the last 30 years has been a 1960 Strat, but over the last 10 years, I've been pulled more and more back to my Lesters while chasing tones... I was also predominantly using rackmounted effects through those years, but went back to tubes and combo amps and stomp boxes, chasing tone. Now, mostly just the guitar and tubes.

There's something to be said about the purity and simplicity. And she, and anyone else chasing tone, will learn how one dimensional most other guitars can sound compared to a Les Paul with Humbuckers. I've only heard others playing Lester's with P90s, so I've no direct experience yet, but I plan to soon enough.

Gen Z wi discover LPs in their own time and learn to appreciate them, with or without the help of Gibson's Marketing Department.

lemmy loud

Reaction score
I think young people work very hard. They have to to survive. Their priorities are very different in every aspect, materially and socially. On every level, they do their own thing. Just like we did in our youth. Materially, they don't have the same aspirations we had. They don't want cars or a lot of the other things that people who came before them wanted. They are reacting to the world they grew up in. I wear my Boomerism proudly ... I do not want to be that guy who is 60 and shopping at Hot Topic. When my music friends goof around with me about it, I'm ok with it. I'm also very happy they are doing their own thing. Nothing is more pitiful than people who go to Facebook and obsess on young people not knowing how to change a tire or write cursive.

lwchafin

Reaction score
LPs probably don't appeal to kids these days as much as they did to us boomers - but then I'm not sure what appeals to kids these days when it comes to guitars. If they're like I was, they want what the artists they listen to play. I lusted after strats, LPs and SGs. Liked Teles, but thought they were more dated and not as rock 'n roll as the others. I've come to appreciate them more with age. Thought Rickenbackers and Gretsch had to be cool but literally knew no one who had one. It's what I saw and heard from the artists I liked. Had nothing to do with instrument quality or broken headstocks or anything like that - that came later. Now it's what sounds and feels good to play, which is why I'm where I was in teh 60s - loving LPs, SGs and strats and pissing and moaning about QC issues. So there ya go.

Reactions: Mnc

Latest Threads