Interesting Gold Top Prototype on Ebay. Real or fake?

Fritz44

Reaction score
Looks like someone took an old studio body and installed a neck/headstock they snuck out of one of the Gibson plants :laugh2:

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
I sent the seller a message asking him how does he know it's a Gibson. And don't tell me cause it says so on the headstock. He purchased at an estate sale so my guess is he doesn't have a clue who made it. But for asking the money he is I don't know who would pay it without knowing. Uh dah! Guitar Center.

d1m1

Reaction score
looks fake to me. pots are new, switch is new, knobs are new, the trapeaze tailpiece is artificially aged, the uneven weather checkings look like they were recently done with freeze spray, the inlays didnt shrunk but look like on early 90´s historics, the tuners are as well as on early historics not linear placed and too close on the edge of the headstock, the board isn´s braz etc...so the neck looks like an early historic one to me, the body could be as well from the 90´s or a newer one. so maybe an 90´s, or a renecked studio. in both cases the prototype stamp could be fake or real. but i´m pretty sure it is not a 50´s one.

chasenblues

Reaction score
One of these that someone has "Aged"?

41906995-9363-44f5-8463-6e485ed6cfb4_zpscadac6ea.jpg

Gibson USA: Les Paul Tribute 1952 Gold Top Prices and Photos, Gibson Electric Guitar News and Wiki

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how the one pot (bridge tone) that you could have seen the codes on, just happens to be "washed out" in the otherwise clear photos? It's "washed out" in every photo that captures it and even from different angles! :laugh2: I think it is pretty doubtful that this guitar was like this at the "Estate Sale" and that the seller is simply lying through his teeth! Oh well, this one will likely show up again, once the buyer (if the buyer) realizes he made a silly purchase!
Gene

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
That tailpiece... Hinge, hinge joint, trapeze bars, wrap over... All wrong.

No rust on pole pieces? Riiight.

solder slopped all over the walls. Looks like herpes.

Definitely just a reissue, aged with questionable skill.

Eat your heart out, Murphy.

He definitely not a guitar player.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
My friend purchased one of these. The tailpiece that came on his was original factory stock from the 50's.

If it looked exactly like the bridge in the picture, it wasn't from the 50s.

Original 52 bridges:

-wrapped strings under the bar. No palm mutes there.
-did not have a machined hinge. They were bent.
-did not have that half oval looking cutout.
- was two pieces. The hinge/plate the screwed to the bottom, and the long trapeze that hooked into the hinge/plate thing.
-the hinge plate looked like a 3 leaf clover. The new ones are squared.

Here's a '52

Fritz44

Reaction score
I have a guitar pick from the 50's even has crud on it from the 50's....Maybe I can get 9000 bucks ?????:hmm:

upl8tr

Reaction score
I have a guitar pick from the 50's even has crud on it from the 50's....Maybe I can get 9000 bucks ?????:hmm:

Hmm? dunno about 9K? I'd maybe go up to about 8.5K or so...:hmm:

Of course I'd need to verify the crud before I could make any sort of firm offer...:D

Fritz44

Reaction score
Hmm? dunno about 9K? I'd maybe go up to about 8.5K or so...:hmm:

Of course I'd need to verify the crud before I could make any sort of firm offer...:D

Huh??...You mean you wont take my word for it? Im hurt bro. After all Im a Les Paul man. Am I not beyond reproach?:laugh2:

budg

Reaction score
Huh??...You mean you wont take my word for it? Im hurt bro. After all Im a Les Paul man. Am I not beyond reproach?:laugh2:
Being a Les Paul man immediately sends off all sorts of red flags. People become suspicious right away. Being a 335 guy , I know this.:D.

Fritz44

Reaction score
LOL....Well I could understand if I were ah....lets say.....A Fender guy, I mean those bastards are shady as hell :laugh2:

J/K Fender guys :)

geezberry

Reaction score
looks very suspect. The neck binding is wrong. It's the thick binding they use on the USA models. Not the thin historic binding

PixMix

Reaction score
The two photos depicting the back of the headstock at an angle showing the
'prototype' stamp, is where the finish looks very fresh. It has been dulled with some fine abrasive (perhaps 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper), but that thing looks like a recent paint job .

Latest Threads