Interesting Double Cut possible prototype

LSAR

Reaction score
That's disturbing.

Based on the headstock, parts, and construction that we can see there is nothing to indicate this is not of Epiphone origins. The body doesn't look like something they'd actually ever do though, and it's sure hideous. The MIRC refurb stamping and serial number adds to the legitimacy to IMO as well.

On the other hand, maybe MIRC had some parts and somebody over there has some imagination...

Edit to add: I'd almost have to wonder if with the recent Johnny A model they weren't considering a solid body counterpart, but didn't want to make it a simple solid body variant...

2nd edit: At least one other one exists (also an MIRC refurb, but definitely a different serial number).
https://reverb.com/item/4782370-epi...-shop-prototype-electric-guitar-one-of-a-kind

So I'd feel confident saying it's a legit Epiphone, and I'm quite confident it's never been a production model unless it was in the context of something like the CDM guitars or something else obscure.

Last edited:

chasenblues

Reaction score
Apparently there were only 2 made.:hmm:

x9fqstapotllfqzyamtd.jpg

rej2ohpdmyypkdlp9qa8.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/12245094-epiphone-dc-prototype-limited-edition-custom-shop-one-of-only-two-
international-buyer-welcome

LSAR

Reaction score
A third one? In another finish?

This is getting out of hand.

warmachine

Reaction score
Definitely like the color better on the Ebay one. Johnny A influence I see it now! Good call on that one!

I like that its a double cut and 24fret. Maybe if the cutaways were dropped down maybe 2 frets it would look better. I do dig the functionality of the whole package.

chasenblues

Reaction score
I guess Epi isn't as secretive/concerned about their unreleased/un-issued guitar models being sold off as their parent company is.

warmachine

Reaction score
Two of them were made in same day according to serials. Also its hard to spot but the red burst has been stamped “Used”? into the headstock. I think thats what it says.

Red ones deserve gold hardware as opposed to the chrome imo

311731734 (reverb burst “used”)
311731736 (ebay red)
311706771 (reverb red)

Hughie

Reaction score
Wow! I think it's cool!

I've always loved SGs, but they're so thin and light that they have no natural sustain.
I've often thought that a Les Paul with an SG shape would be great.
I'm sorry they're not going to produce this one.

warmachine

Reaction score
How should anybody outside of the 'inner circle' at epiphone be able to confirm ?

Guess with a serial a
How should anybody outside of the 'inner circle' at epiphone be able to confirm ?

Yeah you got a point. Has a serial number sticker. Not stamped prototype. It’s stamped limited edition so I guess thats basically what it is.

warmachine

Reaction score
Kay Red Devil bred with a Gibson Barney Kessel and we get this oddball Epiphone

chasenblues

Reaction score
If one wanted to pull the where or why threads a little further.Where does Epiphone have their R & D dept/section? Is it in the US/Gibson or a corporate office in China.?

3 prototypes are made/developed in China and just happen to end up getting shipped to the US to get re-stickered by MIRC and sold off after the project/model gets scrapped?. I would've thought they might've ended up in some employee/execs hands or tossed into the furnace or wood chipper.

LSAR

Reaction score
If one wanted to pull the where or why threads a little further.Where does Epiphone have their R & D dept/section? Is it in the US/Gibson or a corporate office in China.?

3 prototypes are made/developed in China and just happen to end up getting shipped to the US to get re-stickered by MIRC and sold off after the project/model gets scrapped?. I would've thought they might've ended up in some employee/execs hands or tossed into the furnace or wood chipper.

AFAIK they've got an office and warehouse in Nashville where I would assume R&D is located and any prototypes would be sent initially.

It might be important to consider when/where in the chain MIRC gets their hands on products. What was wrong with all three of these specimens that they had to be refurbished? Maybe there was an issue with the design of this model that made production unrealistic at the time. If the prototypes repeatedly failed QA at the factory, maybe they never even sent one over, and the idea was scrapped. As I understand it MIRC buys and re-fits batches at a time, maybe these just got bunched in with some other models after sitting abandoned for awhile. Most references to prototype runs I've heard stated only either two or three were produced for evaluation...maybe these never even made it to the Epi HQ and the three we know of are it.

Someone could compile the info we have and some photos and email Gibson/Epi about it. The model's clearly been scrapped at this point so maybe they'd be willing to confirm some info on it.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Most references to prototype runs I've heard stated only either two or three were produced for evaluation...maybe these never even made it to the Epi HQ and the three we know of are it.

Kind of the point i was trying to get at..If they were just units produced for evaluation by the factory execs/bean counters and failed..How did they end up getting boxed up and shipped to where they ended up. One could think that with Epi's parent company being quite diligent as to not letting any prototypes(especially failed or not produced at all models) out of the factory doors,Let alone being sold to the public. One could assume that might be the rules at Epi also.

Did poor old Zhang Wei loose his job when the factory foreman asked him "Hey what happened to those 3 guitars i told you to keep an eye on?"

:laugh2:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I agree with Hughie that this guitar should be produced instead of the SG, because of its greater body mass which equals better primary tone. But it was not. My most played guitars are double cuts with the mass the SG lacks, and not my 61-62 vintage Gibson SG. But Yamaha builds something very similar.

Latest Threads