Interesting custom shop studio.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
I've never heard of it but I love it!

The photo of the back of the headstock doesn't show the serial number but I can't see any obvious red flags.

It appears to have chrome hardware but gold pickup covers. Odd.

$900 Canadian sounds like a fair price.

Peace

Rex

Chakalawaka

Reaction score
Looks legit... I had once a Les Paul studio with ebony fretboard from around that era so it's not too out of place, but I don't really see anything else that really says Custom Shop?

here's another similar thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/custom-shop-studio-is-this-for-real.203901/

and here's a bit from wikipedia:
Studio Custom
The Studio Custom was produced in 1983-1985. It was introduced before the design of the Studio was finalized, and mostly had the features of a Standard with a variety of features mixed in from other models. It had a mahogany neck and mahogany body with a maple top, single-ply binding around the neck and three-ply binding around the top of the body only, and gold hardware with black pickup rings and pick guard. The 1984 models had two-piece tops, while 1985 models had three-piece tops. The fingerboard was made from rosewood on some models, ebony on others, and had mother of pearl dots for inlays, instead of the usual trapezoids. The neck profile was slim-tapered, like a Standard, and the frets were low, like a "Fretless Wonder" Custom. According to limited information from guitar forums, some of these had the sought-after Tim Shaw pickups.

Dick Banks

Reaction score
OK, but why wouldn't the seller show the CS switch cover (back plate)?

chasenblues

Reaction score
single-ply binding around the neck and three-ply binding around the top of the body only,

No binding on the neck or body on OP linked guitar.

$_59 (2).JPG

I bet a dollar the TR cover was bought online.

$_59.JPG

Studio Custom.

1983GibsonLesPaulStudioCustom029.jpg~original

http://www.nationwideguitars.com/1983gibsonlespaulstudiocustom.html

Last edited:

capnjim

Reaction score
Its definitely not a studio custom. No doubt there, so it seems like a regular studio with a fake custom shop sticker and TRC?

Reactions: MSB

afjungemann

Reaction score
It looks like a custom run of colors. I think I have seen these before. They did some customs and I believe some studios as well. Basically it is as valuable as a studio. $900 doesn't sound like a steal or a ripoff to me. If it plays nice, its nice.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
there's no way it left Gibson with the mismatch of pup covers and other hardware. I'd want to see pics of the cavities, bottom of the pups, and pots.

seems fishy to me, easy enough to do the TRC and CS logo, which seems incredibly high from my experiences.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would be the limiting feature of this instrument?.. It seems like a typical Studio with an ebony board,... at the time Alpine white would receive the ebony board,.. doesn't mean that it was exclusive to Alpine white only. The official "Custom Shop" started in 1993 but a run of Studios would have some kind of documentation??.... I don't know.... not many early Custom Shop builds had COAs at the time. Though $900 for this obviously real ebony board studio is fair regardless of CS status.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
What would be the limiting feature of this instrument?.

that its misrepresented. Just google the CS logo and how high it is in comparison to other models of the era. That and no other red ones show up that aren't lites. Gibson LP with ebony, I think yes, guitar as advertised, NO, but that's just my .02

Latest Threads