Interchangeable parts for Gibson?

BlueberryExplorer

Reaction score
So I’m in the final planning/ begin assembly stage for a guitar build (80s explorer style). I’m trying to find all of the pieces I need and I’m struggling finding a replica bridge for it. I haven’t, however, found any shortage of Les Paul replica bridges and tailpieces. Does anyone know if a Les Paul replica bridge and tailpiece would work? Did Gibson use the same bridges for the guitars or did it differ from style to style? Thanks in advance!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.
There were differences from year to year... ABR, Nashville, Harmonica... but for the most part what went on a Les Paul also went on an Explorer or Flying V of the same year.

Are you wanting to build a true replica, or just an 80s style Explorer like the Jabs/Hetfield without the pickguard and with the switch adjacent to the knobs?

BlueberryExplorer

Reaction score
I guess not a true replica down to the finest detail, I’ll end up getting a custom neck profile and inlays, as well as pickups from Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan. But for hardware like bridges, knobs, and switches, I want as true as I can get. I also want to stick to the traditional layout with the selector switch up by the horn, away from the knobs. Almost like an 80s explorer from the custom-shop.