Insulate a Closed Back Cab?

hbucker

Reaction score
What are people's opinions on whether or not to add sound insulation to a closed back 212 cab? My guess is the answer will be, "It depends..."

But thought I'd ask. Advantages? Disadvantages?

Thx!

HogmanA

Reaction score
I've used both but in 4x12 config. I much prefer non insulated. They sound different, but only significantly at loud volumes.
My Laney Klipp 4x12's both came fully insulated. I pulled it out.
Without, there is an extra resonance that you just won't hear at low volumes.
It interacts with the guitar. It used to remind me of the engine noise of the Tie fighters in Star Wars, haha! It's actually the best sonic description. But in case you're not as ridiculous as me, here is 2 examples that I associate with each way:

Non insulation:

With insulation:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Do an A&B comparison (make a recording of both with everything else the same) and see for yourself. I have always (instinctively) thought that insulation makes things muddy, but I could very well be misinformed. It is more of a personal bias than something I have actually proven to myself.

If I was trying to attenuate midrange, I'd pull off the back and make it partially open-backed (I'd make a new back on the table saw, not cut up the factory back).

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does depend on several factors. I see the major factor being the resonance results from the cab in a non-insulated form, versus the results from an insulated form, where the insulation dampens resonance. If the resonance frequency is off, it won't compliment the speakers. Insulation can definitely tighten up the bass in a loose sounding cabinet.

A closed 4 X 12 at a decent volume probably would not pose a problem unless you have issues with the room mic sound. Personally, I would only insulate if a cab was noticeably obnoxious. Never ran into that problem. That said, some combos sound better than others thanks to the enclosure. Some cabs resonate more than others. If you have a mud problem, insulation might help.

Most importantly, does it sound the way you like?

HogmanA

Reaction score
Celestion's Dr. Decibel:
"Do not use internal acoustic wadding, it is inappropriate for guitar cabs, reducing sparkle and life."

hbucker

Reaction score
Thx for the input. You're all confirming what I suspected.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think if you're going to do it, you have to actually know what you're doing and trying to accomplish, take some measurements, and "tune" the insulation appropriately. Otherwise you won't get good results.

Latest Threads