Instrument insurance rip off.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a problem worldwide but insurance companies in the UK are absolute bastards when it comes to insuring musical instruments. My home & contents insurance would cover my gear but not if I strayed outside with it or went to a gig etc.. Oh and look out if I earned any money from it..!

It's all so bloody frustrating. I also find that all musos, especially ones with guitars can be savagely rounded on by public opinion. We're considered to be high risk when it comes to drink, drugs and driving etc. Yet the funny thing is, my band will only drink shandy or coke before and during a gig and they frown on me for being a smoker. Now these are not soft mama's boys either. They're all from downtown and have fighting in the blood.

So, I'm just wondering why it is that as times have changed and social behaviour has changed, why it is that musician's gear is still something insurance companies will not touch.

GeeJay

Reaction score
I also use musicguard. I don't have a lot of gear, but I've included the PA and lights.

The key words here are 'insurance' and 'rip-off', somehow these are nearly always used in the same sentance....

Cheers!

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very reasonable quote from musicguard.
I'll be firing my current insurer any minute now.
Thanks guys.

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In the states many of us like Heritage Insurance. They specialize in musical equipment, have no deductable, reasonable rates, and are very easy to work with. The policies are underwritten by The Hartford (and maybe others) so you know it is with a respectable company. Don't know that this helps you in the UK but, for any US readers of this thread, I thought I'd mention them.

Alex

Administrator
Super Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering. When did you guys first realize you needed insurance for your music gear? Did it first occur to you that you might need insurance after you had an X amount of guitars? The X amount of money you invested in your music gear? The type of neighborhood you live in? Or what?

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I figured t out in 82 when all my gear was stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnreardon

Reaction score
I'm wondering. When did you guys first realize you needed insurance for your music gear? Did it first occur to you that you might need insurance after you had an X amount of guitars? The X amount of money you invested in your music gear? The type of neighborhood you live in? Or what?
With me, it's since we in the UK started copying the compensation culture that the US appears to have. I am more concerned with the public liability than having my stuff stolen.

I have been lucky in never having lost any gear in approx 46 years of playing.

GeeJay

Reaction score
Like John said, the public liability side of it was the main push initially with some need to cover the cost of having my Les Paul stolen. And as I tend to look after the 'band' gear (PA & Lights etc), the overal value /size of that has started to creep up and is worth covering against loss/damage.

Cheers!

thefishingline

Reaction score
I have it on my Allstate Renters insurance and it IS covered when out playing gigs or jams or if the strap breaks and it falls to the fall...all covered...not that expensive either...hope this helps

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For me it was when I started adding up in my head what it would cost me to replace my guitars/equipment in case of a fire or something. When it was only a couple of guitars and an amp I never really worried much about it. However, once I had as much invested in guitars as I did in my car (plus a PA system in the garage, computer and recording equipment in my office, etc.) then I was like, "What if there was a fire?!?!?!"

At first I had it listed under my Homeowners policy but that was a real headache since they had all kinds of caps on maximum replacement value per guitar, etc. And forget it if you play outside of the home with your stuff... that falls under "commercial" use (even if you aren't making any $$ on the gig). The insurance company didn't want to do an "Inland Marine" policy rider (like they do on boats, etc.) so I took my business elsewhere. The company I use for it all now specializes in musical equipment and doesn't give me any hassles at all. Their rates are very reasonable (no more than I had been paying with my homeowners really, but without the problem of my guitar being worth more than the maximum amount the homeowners company wanted to cover per instrument).

meatball

Reaction score
I have a separate policy on my equipment euthanasia 500 dollar deduct able with State Farm . Maybe pay 160.00 a year but it's worth it

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Sucks even more in the Netherlands.

If you want your gear to be covered, it needs appraisal of each seperate item. Incl cabinets and amps etc... not just guitars.
€25 per item. Every 3 years.

Buy something that devaluates quickly and you see the issue.

Only worth it if you are a pro.

Nightrain

Reaction score
Curious as to how much work it took to shift the dust off of this thread before being able to see the "Post Reply" button.

:eek:

Latest Threads