Instant Soundgarden? Wampler Ratsbane compared to...

redking

Reaction score
The first time I heard the Wampler Ratsbane I thought to myself "That's instant Soundgarden!" After grabbing one last week, I decided to compare 3 pedals that all have that vibe and then combine them in a track to show how you can use multiple pedals that are slightly different to create a nice fat recording. Which pedal or combo is your favorite?

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all nail the sound.
My ears are not as sophisticated as some others, but I liked the Jonesy slightly more.
Plus it has fewer knobs to operate, which is great for a simpleton like me.
Great playing!

redking

Reaction score
They all nail the sound.
My ears are not as sophisticated as some others, but I liked the Jonesy slightly more.
Plus it has fewer knobs to operate, which is great for a simpleton like me.
Great playing!
Thanks! Looks like I mastered the track a little too hot for Youtube's compressed format - oh well, it was a quick and dirty experiment and I think one can still get the gist of the character of the pedals.

Last edited:

diavolo

Reaction score
Jonesy was the most 'sound garden" one to my ears through laptop speakers at least haha.
I get my sound garden tone from a budget Nux Amp simulator. also in budget mini pedals the mosky b box or d250x will get you there.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I ordered one when they first came out and then promptly returned it, for whatever reason I didn't like the sounds I was getting out of the Ratsbane compared to other Rats, and I'm generally a fan of Wampler pedals.

redking

Reaction score
I ordered one when they first came out and then promptly returned it, for whatever reason I didn't like the sounds I was getting out of the Ratsbane compared to other Rats, and I'm generally a fan of Wampler pedals.
It sure has a ton of gain in it, that's for sure. I spent zero time dialing in the tone when I did the recording, but I think you have to turn the gain, and maybe the volume down even lower than I had it (and I dialed it to be similar to my "low gain" setting for my RAT.)

Latest Threads