Installed a 500T and...

AmpliFIRE

Reaction score
I'm blown away!!! The guitar it's in is technically not a Gibson LP, but a high quality MIJ Greco Randy Rhoads Custom. Not sure why the 500T gets a bad rap at all. It's clear, articulate, balanced and had a 3D effect as well. Not harsh, biting or dark like other ceramics I've tried. Dare I say, this may just be the perfect pup for hard rock and metal.

Heppe

Reaction score
Yes the 500T is very nice for hard rock I agree. Have it in two V’s and an Explorer.

KStopper65

Reaction score
The 500T sounds amazing to my ears.
I am on a constant lookout for one that is cheap

jbash

Reaction score
If I want HO in a an all mahogany guitar, they are just fine. Don't care for them in Les Pauls- they get too muddy in the midrange for my tastes. But I had a killer V and Explorer with them and they were excellent, even surprising some of my guitar playing friends for the types of tones I could get out them.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
Gibson website has these listed at 11K resistance? That doesn't sound right.

freefrog

Reaction score
Gibson website has these listed at 11K resistance? That doesn't sound right.
Measurements done here state a DCR of 15.45k and an inductance of 7.77H. But my archives also mention 14.6k and 8.6H for an older model.

i've Gauss measurements somewhere... with their 3 ceramic bars, these things exhibit a strong magnetic field.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I'm blown away!!! The guitar it's in is technically not a Gibson LP, but a high quality MIJ Greco Randy Rhoads Custom. Not sure why the 500T gets a bad rap at all. It's clear, articulate, balanced and had a 3D effect as well. Not harsh, biting or dark like other ceramics I've tried. Dare I say, this may just be the perfect pup for hard rock and metal.
They get a bad rap because the have ceramic magnets. And they are hot.

But sometimes you need hot ceramics.

Pickup threads (not this ine) are often absurd.It is like saying that saws all suck, because really, you actually need a drill.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
The 500T is a one trick pony like the DiMarzio super distortion, some people like them and some don't.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I still have my 500T and 496R from my (now) 21 year-old Classic. I could not warm up to them, so after a couple of years, I swapped for ‘59's and 12 years later, those for Seths. I don't think Les Pauls were well suited for those hot ceramics. I think the ceramics were better utilized when playing an amp with lots of gain…

Some owners claim that they found them versatile, but that's not the word I'd use to describe them. Still, some players and owners found them useful and kept them.

Classicplayer

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
I just picked up one from Reverb. Going to put it into an Explorer

AcVox

Reaction score
My brother stuck a 500t in his Tele, never quite sounded the same somehow..

David Garner

Reaction score
The 500T is a one trick pony like the DiMarzio super distortion, some people like them and some don't.
For what it’s worth, I just installed a Super Distortion in my LP and I was amazed at how many tricks that pony has. Honeymoon period all, but I think it’s a pretty versatile pickup.

I haven’t tried the 500t.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I just installed a Super Distortion in my LP and I was amazed at how many tricks that pony has. Honeymoon period all, but I think it’s a pretty versatile pickup.

I haven’t tried the 500t.
That pickup was designed when amps didn't have as much gain as they do today.

Personally I prefer the gain to come from my tube amp not the pickup, but glad you like the SD.

David Garner

Reaction score
That pickup was designed when amps didn't have as much gain as they do today.

Personally I prefer the gain to come from my tube amp not the pickup, but glad you like the SD.
That's probably the difference. I mostly play amps that don't have as much gain, so the SD works in those as designed.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
The 500T I had in my Les Paul Classic sounded pretty good with mild overdrive, really nice classic rock tones. Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, nailed it. Like a hot t-top. But with more gain it sounded pretty horrible.

Latest Threads