Install Epiphone Pro pickups without quick connects to pots with quick connect

mhayden

Reaction score
Hello, I am new and at a total loss at this point. Please help. I recently acquired a set of Pro Alnico Classic PUPs. These are the stock pickups in an Epiphone G-400 Pro. T.e pickups I received do not have a quick connect on the end. They have 5 wires: braided, red, black, green and white. The green and white came soldered together. I also received the Pots and switch which do have the quick connect assembly. I want to install them in my 07 LP. My question is this: HOW IN THE HECK DO I PUT THIS ALL TOGETHER?

I've seen elsewhere on the forum (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/210303-why-5-pu-wires-molex-connector-2012-std-2.html) where I can possibly order some molex connectors to connect to the end of my pickup wires (5 wire), but everything seems to be for Gibson on that thread. My guess is Epiphone is different.

I'd like to use the pots as they are push/pull for coil splitting, but I also have a set of upgraded pots in the guitar already (not push/pull) so if I can't use the push pull/so be it. So can anyone help me with any of the three options below?

1. Install the new pickups with the new pots and new switch assembly by purchasing the correct quick connect for the pickups.

2. Install the new pickups with the new pots and new switch assembly by by passing all the quick connects and going directly to the pots. (Can I solder the posts on the pots as seen in the pictures below?) If I can do this, is there a diagram I can follow somewhere of how to connect everything? Where does each wire get soldered? My original PUPs are 2 wire so these being 5 wire is a bit different for me.

3. Connect these new Pickups to my other pots (upgraded 500K pots wired 50s from Toneman on Reverb.com). I know I will loose coil splitting here but ... Again where do I connect everything being as it is 5 wire and not 2

I will be forever grateful for any direction here. Please go easy on me. Despite playing for many moons, I did my first soldering job about 2 months ago. I always spent time playing rather than modding.
Pics:
All of the parts received:
IMG_2381.JPG
Close-up of wires from pickup
image.JPG
Close-up of one of the push/pull volume pots with quick connect and 5 wires
IMG_2383.JPG
Close-up of just the push/pull volume pot with quick connect

Attachments

• IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 492

kevinpaul

Reaction score
You can buy the connectors at a good hardware store. I thing they are 20 - 22 AWG. Give that a shot.

mhayden

Reaction score
So I appreciate both of the helpful pieces of information. I will first try the good hardware store route, and if I can't find what I think works, I will try the eBay route. Seriously appreciate people offering advice.

If neither of those pan out, can I use the pots in the original picture and use the wiring diagram below to achieve coil split? Can I connect the jack to the pots with the quick connect?
Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 8.43.12 PM.jpg

DavidRamey

Reaction score
You might get more help if you post in the Pickups sub forum of Tonefreaks. There are people there that make their living wiring guitars.

mhayden

Reaction score
You might get more help if you post in the Pickups sub forum of Tonefreaks. There are people there that make their living wiring guitars.

Thanks! I wasn't aware. I will give that a shot too.

sliberty

Reaction score
I have 2 Epi's that originally came with the quick connectors. I replaced pots, caps, jacks and switches, and decided to go without the quick connectors. I prefer the flexibility of being able to replace parts, including pickups, at will, and not having to deal with specialty connectors.

As for buying the connectors, the last time I looked, all of the proposed connectors were wrong. I bought a bunch after seeing a post about how this guy had "cracked the code", and they were totally wrong when they arrived. There is a guy on eBay who is selling wiring harnesses for Epiphone guitars, and maybe he got it right, but I didn't buy his stuff, so I can't be sure.

If you decide to cut off the connectors, as I did, you'll just need to know which wire is which. Here are the details.

gibson-color-code.jpg

mhayden

Reaction score
Well I ended up by passing the quick connectors. I used a combination of the two wiring diagrams below. Basically wired it using the first diagram and then switching the tone ->volume connection to the volume's center post. I will most likely get new volume pots in the future as the ones I have with the board on them were a pain to solder to and don't appear to be the highest quality. The guitar works though and it's got coil split and the 50s wiring. Thanks for the help!
Wired it using this diagram:
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 6.26.06 AM.jpg
Then was able to use this to change to 50s style:
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 6.26.01 AM.jpg

Latest Threads