Insomnia And The Pat & Doug Show

ezra1

Reaction score
I couldn't sleep. Took 2 sleeping pills at bedtime and then another at 3:45
I binged watched every pickup episode of their show.
Never heard a set that 100% mimicd Oscar the 58 but I did hear a few I liked.
Halfway through I started writing down the sets I liked.
Onamacs Windery Top Shelf
Geppetto Nomads
Sigil Holy Grails
Duncan Antiquities

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
For me it was the VIPs. They haunted me! I'm now on the wait list for a pair.

ezra1

Reaction score
I had Heritage build me a 535 a couple of years ago.
When my pickup guy went awol with the funds , Heritage put a 59 and a Seth Lover in it. I did not care for the SL but did like the 59.
In the past I had liked the JB for more rocking stuff. And I didn't like the Pearly Gates.
So.....I have not been a Duncan guy.
But I had to listen to the Antiquities clip 2 times to believe my ears.
I would use a set of those.

AJK1

Reaction score
I didn’t realise how good unpotted PAF style pickups were until I installed a set of SD Custom Shop Pearly Gates pickups and a set of Antiquities in 2 of my fave LP I own
Pat and Doug also say that PAF’s should be unpotted and they’re right
They also have stated that Oscar’s pickups are in the 7.75 range
I personally think most of the pickups in their tests sound very similar but a couple stand out
Also the 59 sunburst they own to me sounds ordinary so it must be true that some PAF’s were so so
Anyway I’m happy with what I’ve got and they’ll never be changed

ezra1

Reaction score
I like that they use the same guitar and amp and basically the same licks for comparison purposes.
I find myself drawn to Underwound non A5 pickups as of late.

ezra1

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to contact the Doug and Pat Show ?
I have a suggestion for a show .

hamerfan

Reaction score
Sorry about your insomnia. I had an co-worker who was said by a doctor to have a half hour walk before to go to bed. And if you wake up too early, go to bed half an hour later every week until you sleep desired.

Roxy13

Reaction score
My VIPs are on the way, woot! A bit early too as he had told me April.

jbash

Reaction score
I cannot recall the name, but the one set of pickups that always stood out to me on D&P were a set from Germany, and I believe "59" was part of the name. Righteous sounds.

Also yeah, unpotted makes a big difference especially with typical A2 pickups. That said , the set of 57/08s I had were potted and I've never heard a set of clearer more complex sounding (modern) A2 magnet pickups. Paul totally nailed it with those.

Rando375

Premium Member
Reaction score
These guys are great. I especially enjoyed the pickup comparison with Oscar there for comparison

CorsaAddict

Reaction score
Am
I cannot recall the name, but the one set of pickups that always stood out to me on D&P were a set from Germany, and I believe "59" was part of the name. Righteous sounds.

Also yeah, unpotted makes a big difference especially with typical A2 pickups. That said , the set of 57/08s I had were potted and I've never heard a set of clearer more complex sounding (modern) A2 magnet pickups. Paul totally nailed it with those.
Amber pickups - they sound and feel great. Give them a try

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
My only beef with that show is they barely play anything clean never use the middle position and use THAT VOX. Ion know about other ppl but i find voxes to be incredibly dark. Like wide panel tweed amp dark. But aside from that i love the show. They're showcase of the sangford magnetic p90s the amber spirit of 59 and monty pafs were very good sounding.

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Funny, I found the Vox to be too bright. While surfing their past episodes, I enjoyed the Monty PAFs. Not enough to order a pair (it takes time), but will probably order some in the future, since boutique winders come and go. The most important component of sound is ... the body + neck. Have at least a dozen Gibson custom shop R7, R8, R9, R0, and CC's. Only two are really stellar. The odds of getting a great LP guitar is 1 in 10 or less. The hobby is a money pit. Get more satisfaction collecting 335, 345 and 355's.

ezra1

Reaction score
I was battling insomnia this weekend and watched some more Doug & Pat shows, one about German manufactures.
Amber pups sound great.
I saw their email and sent them an attaboy email because it's always the same guy, same guitar, same amp and same licks.
I told them as a result I had ordered a set of Geppetto Nomads and doing the same for Ornamac Windery Top Shelf Alnico 2.
Later.....a set of Amber Spirit of 59.
This morning I got up and Doug had emailed me back and thanked me for reaching out cause that is exactly what their show is about..same guy,same rig and paf inspired licks.

Latest Threads