Inside the Electrics of a genuine Epiphone - The ONLY sure way to tell a fake

Reaction score
I rushed this, so apologies on the picture.

So far, these (i think) are the best 3 ways to tell if the Epiphone you have is a fake.

1, the volume/tone wiring
2, the pickups
3, toggle

Genuine Epi... Stamped EPIPHONE on both sides of the toggle switch

S7003394.jpg

I cant find a picture of a fake, but i know they are not stamped

Genuine Epi..... The Plug switch has been on most of the models for a few years now, if its wired different, and its fairly new... its a fake.

S7003353.jpg

FBEB676BDE4C65971C7CF943202D3CA4_50.jpg

Fake Epi

S7002660.jpg

Genuine Epi.... ROHS compliant, these checks are done on EVERY SINGLE pickup. also, like all purchased pickups it will have the model number

S7003418.jpg

Fake Epi.... They stamp them, but no ROHS or model type

S7002839.jpg

Hope this helps

TheWellGoodShow

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You just settled my mind. As I was always paranoid my epi was fake, now you made it clearer.

Reaction score
You just settled my mind. As I was always paranoid my epi was fake, now you made it clearer.

Im a good friend of a rossetti rep in the north west, and he said he'll have some better pics for us soon, plus keep an eye on coda musics website, they gutted my epiphone and took pictures of that next to a fake. Inside, every part, wires everything.

Got a free set up for it :O)

RMC1

Reaction score
Not entirely sure that the Plug connector has been used on every Epi for a few years,my 04 Les Paul Standard doesn`t have one,neither does my 07,and i know that they are 100% genuine.All internals are stamped Epiphone though.Just an observation.:)

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The wiring on the fake actually looks better than the legit. I can't stand how Epiphone wires their stuff.

The only problem is, if you need to use this thread it's already too late for you in most cases. However this is very good info.

Kuroyama

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My 97 MIJ Epi standard had no stamping that I saw. Check out my Epi Std Pr0n thread... hmm.... either in Japan they didnt use the same material that Korea does now... or my Epi is fail and gonna get sent back to the shop that sold it.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This, as well as my thead only applies to MIC 07-08 models, that's why.

jkinnison90

Reaction score
My 97 MIJ Epi standard had no stamping that I saw. Check out my Epi Std Pr0n thread... hmm.... either in Japan they didnt use the same material that Korea does now... or my Epi is fail and gonna get sent back to the shop that sold it.
I highly doubt it's fake.

Sinster

Reaction score
Anyone can get those ROHS stickers.. My SX tele had those stickers on it's pups.

Reaction score
Any company can stamp epiphone on a toggle too, it'll only be a matter of time.

But this thread is for a peice of mind for owners who arent sure if theirs is genuine thats all

Stevics

Reaction score
Not entirely sure that the Plug connector has been used on every Epi for a few years,my 04 Les Paul Standard doesn`t have one,neither does my 07,and i know that they are 100% genuine.All internals are stamped Epiphone though.Just an observation.:)

My 07 LP Standard does not have the plug connectors either. It checks out in every other way. I have no wories as I bought it from a reputable Gibson dealer in UK.

jon_c

Reaction score
My 07 LP Standard does not have the plug connectors either. It checks out in every other way. I have no wories as I bought it from a reputable Gibson dealer in UK.

same here for my UC 07. It did have all the parts (toggle, pickups, bridge, jack, etc) 'Epiphone' stamped and had Alpha pots but no wiring connector. The only original part left is the output jack.

wantsa58

Reaction score
Epiphone could knock off 1 dollar on the price of their guitars if they stopped giving you 15 additional feet of wire to work with lol.

RMC1

Reaction score
Epiphone could knock off 1 dollar on the price of their guitars if they stopped giving you 15 additional feet of wire to work with lol.

LOL,almost enough to wire a second guitar in my 07,before i re did it all. :laugh2:

EpiLes

Reaction score
Thanx dude great info. im glad i didnt get this cherry sunburst on ebay. it was completely fake. i was new and the pickups were junk

Latest Threads