Insane Killer Escapes at County Fair

AmazingJourney

Reaction score
How does crap like this happen? I think someone should be charged with "exposing the public to great danger" or maybe "Reckless Endangerment" and serve jail time. If someone is harmed, then the responsible parties need to charged in those crimes too!

Insane killer escapes on field trip to county fair - Road Runner

A criminally insane killer from eastern Washington is on the run after escaping during a field trip to the county fair that his mental hospital organized.

Why such a dangerous person was out in public was a question many, including Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire, were asking as authorities searched for Phillip Arnold Paul.

Authorities at Eastern State Hospital, where Paul is a patient, are being criticized for allowing him to visit the fair despite his violent criminal past and a history of trying to escape.

"Why was he allowed to take such a trip?" the governor said Friday. "Why did they go to a location that was so heavily populated with families?"

Authorities believed Paul, 47, was headed for the Sunnyside, Wash., area where his parents and many siblings live.

Paul was committed after he was acquitted by reason of insanity in the 1987 slaying of an elderly woman, whose body he soaked in gasoline to throw off search dogs. Paul buried the woman's remains in her flower garden.

In 1991, Paul walked away during a day trip to a Washington lake and was later captured. He attacked a sheriff's deputy in the jail booking area, knocking him unconscious, and was convicted of first-degree escape and second-degree assault.

Spokane County sheriff's officials were told Paul had $50 when he escaped Thursday _ enough money to buy a bus ticket, said sheriff's spokesman Dave Reagan.

Paul also had time, according to a union that said hospital administrators waited nearly two hours before calling law enforcement. The union said workers alerted their superiors minutes after discovering Paul's escape.

"They believe he was an extreme escape risk and the administration should never have allowed him on the field trip," a statement from the Washington Federation of State Employees said. "The workers have unsuccessfully fought to stop the outings for murderers, rapists and pedophiles committed to the hospital as criminally insane."

Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich also insisted there was a two-hour delay before law enforcement were alerted, while Susan Dreyfus, secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services, said it was not clear how long it took.

Paul is a white male, 5-foot-8, 220 pounds, with brownish-gray hair, blue eyes, and a goatee. At the time of his escape, Paul was wearing a red windbreaker jacket, with a T-shirt and jeans.

Paul has been on and off a variety of medications over the years, and also been in and out of institutions, his brother Tom Paul said.

"He is in a bad mental state," his brother, Tom Paul, told The Associated Press. "Why would they load him on a bus and take him to a fair?"

Thirty-one patients from the mental hospital were on the trip Thursday with 11 staff members. Dreyfus said she did not know how many of those had violent criminal backgrounds.

Patients must be cleared by a treatment team before they can go on trips to stores, parks, and other sites, said Dr. Rob Henry, director of forensic services at Eastern State. They wear street clothing and staff members are required to keep each patient within eyesight at all times.

Henry said trips to the fair were an annual event. The last escape from the forensic unit occurred in 1992, he said.

It is possible a 15-day review, which will be in part conducted by the state Department of Corrections, will end such outings, Dreyfus said. She has ordered an investigation that includes both state mental hospitals.

The state Department of Social and Health Services, meanwhile, has ordered an immediate end to trips like the one taken Thursday to the fair and launched an investigation into the practice.

Paul had a normal childhood in Sunnyside, 200 miles southwest of Spokane, his brother said.

But he started acting strangely as a high school student, his brother said, and he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Paul was living in a halfway house in Spokane last year, but ended up back at the hospital in a very agitated state, Tom Paul said. Hospital officials said Paul hadn't exhibited violent behavior in years. They argued in the past that he should be released, but his petition for release was rejected in 2003.

The sheriff's office said Friday that Paul's medication should keep him stable for 14 days.

stevedave

Reaction score
I couldn't help but scratch my head and think what the f*ck when I read this article. I hope they can catch this guy soon before he possibly hurts someone else. They need to fire whoever thought up this half baked field trip for the criminally insane too. I can see getting them out of the place for good behavior or whatever, but a fair??!? Seriously?? That's just foolish.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
wow, I am at a loss to even comprehend this.

Inmates here are taking out to work under heavily armed and mounted supervision.

Someone needs to be held liable for this absurd and unacceptable act.

If he kills someone while on the run then the staff members present when he escaped need to be charged as accessories in the murder.

LongBeach

Reaction score
I read that yesterday, and thought the same thing.
WTF were they thinking? He was evaluated by
physicians that cleared him to go. WHATEVER!

TheAceofEights

Reaction score
This is in my home city too! I was with my friend whose sister was working at the fair when it happened :shock:

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
It is unbelievable and yet, quite believable. I hope they find him real soon. Maybe they ought to check this forum. There are a few members here who appear to fit that description. :hmm:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
wow, I am at a loss to even comprehend this.

Inmates here are taking out to work under heavily armed and mounted supervision.

Someone needs to be held liable for this absurd and unacceptable act.

If he kills someone while on the run then the staff members present when he escaped need to be charged as accessories in the murder.

More importantly, the administrator. The workers fought to not have guys like this taken on "field trips" - but the feel-good Admin (moron) overruled them.

I won't get political, but the ideology that persons in prison for heinous crimes should be treated "well" beyond what is needed to live - such as OUTINGS - are naive as hell.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I am laughing my ass off right now. Sorry but if you read the second line of my sig it explains it all. WTF

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
His tone is as fat as a Samoan ballerina?

:D

v8ko

Reaction score
I keep waiting for the punchline.

This is stupidity at its finest moment.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
Well, as long as the murdering lunatic had a nice day at the fair, its ok!...

Man, to think someone actually gets paid to organise this.

Blues4U

Reaction score
I cannot believe that the county agreed to this.

TheAceofEights

Reaction score
I cannot believe that the county agreed to this.

In all fairness, they do it every year. They only take the well behaved inmates for the most part. I talk to them occasionally, just because. Anyway, I think it's stupid they let a mentally screwed up murdurer go on the field trip, not the fact they have the field trip itself.

Jupa

Reaction score
In all fairness, they do it every year. They only take the well behaved inmates for the most part. I talk to them occasionally, just because. Anyway, I think it's stupid they let a mentally screwed up murdurer go on the field trip, not the fact they have the field trip itself.

I understand them maybe taking out some people who have mental disabilities and trying to give them a semblance of a normal life or even happiness. But taking along someone who has killed another person is just absolutely ridiculous.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Washington state killer captured after field-trip escapeStory Highlights
NEW: Phillip Paul recaptured Sunday in Goldendale, Washington, authorities say

NEW: Paul duped someone into driving him to Goldendale, 250 miles from escape site

NEW: Paul planned escape for at least several months, police say

Legally insane killer escaped Thursday during hospital field trip to fair

TheAceofEights

Reaction score
Washington state killer captured after field-trip escapeStory Highlights
NEW: Phillip Paul recaptured Sunday in Goldendale, Washington, authorities say

NEW: Paul duped someone into driving him to Goldendale, 250 miles from escape site

NEW: Paul planned escape for at least several months, police say

Legally insane killer escaped Thursday during hospital field trip to fair

They caught him? Thank God.

Latest Threads