Input regarding 1976 Les paul Custom.

MuLLe

Reaction score
I went down to my local musicstore. They have a 1975 Gibsons Les Paul Pro Delxe serial starting with 99. It plays and sounds amazing, all original. But I’m having a hard time to see pass the p90 pickups, I don’t like the look of p90 and it’s also as I understand a limit to lower the strings due to fixed height positions of the pickups. Is that correct?

a plan would be to convert it to a standard but perhaps it loose it’s personality. GAH! Don’t know what to do. It’s made the same year I was born haha

MuLLe

Reaction score
87869BA4-7C63-44B7-849A-5AFD653F0F6E.jpeg

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
I went down to my local musicstore. They have a 1975 Gibsons Les Paul Pro Delxe serial starting with 99. It plays and sounds amazing, all original. But I’m having a hard time to see pass the p90 pickups, I don’t like the look of p90 and it’s also as I understand a limit to lower the strings due to fixed height positions of the pickups. Is that correct?

a plan would be to convert it to a standard but perhaps it loose it’s personality. GAH! Don’t know what to do. It’s made the same year I was born haha
Looks like a nice guitar. :)
In the 70's your problem with the P-90's would have been solved easily, simply by routing the guitar for proper sized humbuckers. :naughty:

(Usually DiMarzio Superdistortions, which back then were basically the only commonly available aftermarket pickups...)

BUT...
Since we sit here now, 45 years later, meaning that these guitars are "vintage", you can't just route it, unless you want to reduce its value by ~50%...

- well, if you have the money to blow, go right ahead and route it, not my beef and it is not like "Pro Deluxes" are irreplaceable vintage icons...

HOWEVER: There is one more thing you might be able to do if you want to have proper pickups, but still conserve the guitar:

The pickup routes for P-90's can in some cases accomodate a full sized humbucker that has had its base plate filed smaller, and therefore allow you to have the best of both worlds, namely an unrouted "vintage" guitar* with the full size humbuckers of your choice.

* Just remember, in order to preserve value, document the removal of the original PU's and keep them...

Last edited:

Elrathia

Reaction score
If it plays and sounds ’amazing’ what’s the problem? Soap bar P90’s are adjustable via the Screws through the pickup. I have mine shimmed underneath with popsicle sticks. foam or even springs may also be used. Please don’t alter this guitar, it should be appreciated for what it is.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bud has a Dlx Pro w/ P90s and a Tele Elite with P90s.... I've been after that Lester Dlx Pro for years.... The Tele is cool too but the Dlx...oooooh babay.... Love P90 Lesters.... One bend through a hot tube amp and you know...

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read that. Hopefully another Custom will come-up that you'll like. My '72/'54 Limited Edition Custom has P90s in it and I love 'em. However, if they're not for you and you like the Deluxe, you can always have it routed for HBs, which is what I did with my '76 Deluxe when I bought it in '77.

Abozz

Reaction score
I have two Norlin, one 73 Black and 76 Cherry, both sound much better than a modern one (that is my opinion), and nothing is more difficult to found that a bad Norlin era. In my experience are VERY good instruments with a beautiful tone. The price sound good to me.

ARandall

Reaction score

P90 tone is what the humbucker was designed to sound like. They fell short.
So humbuckers are like a polite version of a p90.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

With the top rolled off a bit.....

msalama

Reaction score
a plan would be to convert it to a standard

Please don't, that's an old guitar and modding it now would just ruin it IMO. How about finding a good original Standard instead?

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
The stupid in this absurd internet myth does not get any less stupid just because of repetition.

In 1955 no one even knew what an electric guitar was supposed to sound like and they just wanted a pickup that didn't hum to badly.
Basically all they wanted back then, were the means to make the guitar sound louder than the competition without to much noise. "Tone" was not even on the list of concerns...

Trying to make out the middy and sh**ty P-90 to be some sort of golden standard that the PAF was designed to emulate is internet absurdity at its worst.

Nobody, except for at few fanboys gathering on forums, likes P-90's anyway.

Airplane

Reaction score
The stupid in this absurd internet myth does not get any less stupid just because of repetition.

In 1955 no one even knew what an electric guitar was supposed to sound like and they just wanted a pickup that didn't hum to badly.
Basically all they wanted back then, were the means to make the guitar sound louder than the competition without to much noise. "Tone" was not even on the list of concerns...

Trying to make out the middy and sh**ty P-90 to be some sort of golden standard that the PAF was designed to emulate is internet absurdity at its worst.

Nobody, except for at few fanboys gathering on forums, likes P-90's anyway.

Really a lot of BS in this post!

msalama

Reaction score
likes P-90's anyway

Well I like them anyway. And who the hell is this Fan Boi you're talking about, Mongolia's new Premier or something?

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Really a lot of BS in this post!
Nah, no one actually buys guitars with P-90's - perhaps except for the cool vegan artisan bearded coffeshop crowd who try to stand out from the masses.

I mean, P-90's fall completely short of giving us the glassy bite that a good set of SC's gives us, and they also fall short of giving the pleasing saturation and fat frequency spread that a good humbucker gives.
All P-90's do is to flatten your nice guitars tone into a middy, bland and uninteresting pile of steaming sonic poo.

Just look at history, Fender got it right the first time around and just kept on using a good thing. No reason to go inventing new pickups when you already have one that sounds good :yesway:

Gibson just got the SC recipe horribly wrong, had terrible sounding electric guitars as a consequence, and therefore had to invent a new pickup... A big cheer for Seth Lover :yesway:

...and now the internet experts try to make out the mistake that is P-90's as being "the sound the PAF was modeled on", which is the opposite of the fact, namely that PAF's were an attempt to get away from the sad excuse that is "P-90 tone".

And after the new and improved pickup (PAF) was created, Gibson wisely stuck to only use the P-90 on their cheap low budget guitars.

Yeah, P-90's really are bad.

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Hm, even 50s Juniors sound bad. Oh man... :rolleyes: You really should try some P90s equipped guitar through my cranked 72 Hiwatt DR103. One of the best tones i ever heard...
P-90's still don't sound good. And i am sorry to say, neither does a cranked Hiwatt. Unless you want to make pretend that you are playing in The Who 50 years ago...
Sure, Hiwatts may have been a cool sound to some in 1972 or thereabouts - but that's where the shenanigans ended and better sounding amps took over the worlds stages.

I mean, face it, Hiwatts were pretty much abandoned and forgotten about since 1973 and only the internet forum experts eternal search for a new vintage name to worship has (undeservedly) brought that brand back into public consciousness again.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
P-90's still don't sound good. And i am sorry to say, neither does a cranked Hiwatt. Unless you want to make pretend that you are playing in The Who 50 years ago...
Sure, Hiwatts may have been a cool sound to some in 1972 or thereabouts - but that's where the shenanigans ended and better sounding amps took over the worlds stages.

I mean, face it, Hiwatts were pretty much abandoned and forgotten about since 1973 and only the internet forum experts eternal search for a new vintage name to worship has (undeservedly) brought that brand back into public consciousness again.

Oh yeah, thanks for advice about whats sounding good. :applause: You really think that only The Who played Hiwatts with great results? And that only The Who does epitomize P90s tone? And btw., Hiwatts were still used by many even in late 70s, Rush or Styx for example from the more known bands.

Airplane

Reaction score
Nah, no one actually buys guitars with P-90's - perhaps except for the cool vegan artisan bearded coffeshop crowd who try to stand out from the masses.

I mean, P-90's fall completely short of giving us the glassy bite that a good set of SC's gives us, and they also fall short of giving the pleasing saturation and fat frequency spread that a good humbucker gives.
All P-90's do is to flatten your nice guitars tone into a middy, bland and uninteresting pile of steaming sonic poo.

Just look at history, Fender got it right the first time around and just kept on using a good thing. No reason to go inventing new pickups when you already have one that sounds good :yesway:

Gibson just got the SC recipe horribly wrong, had terrible sounding electric guitars as a consequence, and therefore had to invent a new pickup... A big cheer for Seth Lover :yesway:

...and now the internet experts try to make out the mistake that is P-90's as being "the sound the PAF was modeled on", which is the opposite of the fact, namely that PAF's were an attempt to get away from the sad excuse that is "P-90 tone".

And after the new and improved pickup (PAF) was created, Gibson wisely stuck to only use the P-90 on their cheap low budget guitars.

Yeah, P-90's really are bad.

Damn you're right, i'm sorry.. I just checked and listened to some of my fav P90 guitar recordings and the actually do sound like sonic poo.

srsly not a pink floyd fan but the solo at 2:17 actually sounds like shit

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Damn you're right, i'm sorry.. I just checked and listened to some of my fav P90 guitar recordings and the actually do sound like sonic poo.

srsly not a pink floyd fan but the solo at 2:17 actually sounds like shit

Oh yeah, prime examples of stellar guitar tone right here! :rofl:

...i rest my case...

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Oh yeah, prime examples of stellar guitar tone right here! :rofl:

...i rest my case...

Perhaps it would be good when you give us your examples of the good guitar tone.

From my clips, i have only this one of P90s and Hiwatt. Cranked amp with 64 SG Junior, it was too loud and starting to clip, but it was really lively and massive sounding guitar, much better than many humbucker equipped ones.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2%2F1964-gibson-sg-junior-1972-hiwatt-dr103-halfstack
For comparison, here is humbucker and minihumbucker:

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2%2Fgibson-les-paul-custom-57-ri-part1-hiwatt
https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2%2F1973-gibson-les-paul-deluxe-hiwatt-dr103

Latest Threads