Input regarding 1976 Les paul Custom.

MuLLe

Reaction score
Hello folks :)

I have the opportunity to buy a wonderful looking Les Paul Custom 1976 black.
I have never owned or played a Norlin era Custom. I’ve heard roomers to avoid and this and that, but I don’t believe in rumours. All guitars are different but still the subject Norlin era seems to have more attention if you know what I mean.

So next week I will meet the seller to try it out. It weighs 4.4 - 4.5 kg/9.7-9.9lb.
The weight seems to be good for that era.
Everything is original except the toggle switch knob, the plastic knob.
The Bridge pickup has been vaxed potted a couple of years ago.
Original frets with a lot of life in them.
Have some wear on the neck, it’s been played a lot but it is definitely not abused, some wear area on the back where the lacquer is missing.
That’s it.

He tells me ha have had this for 10 years as his main guitar and it’s been played a lot. It’s a beast, plays and sounds amazing, that is his experience of it. So, so far everything seems perfect for me, but……..

I have no experience of the Norlin or the early Gibsons. I know more and have owned a lot of the 90’s and forward and many Customshops Reissues.

Is there anything special I shall look for, avoid or pay special attention to when I’m trying this guitar when it comes to the so called “Norlin” Customs era?

I would really appreciate if you guys and girls can give some input that have the Norlin period guitars or have experience of them.

This guitar have certainly caught my eyes and my attention. It calls my name :D

Looking forward for some help, tips, opinions and suggestions if you are up to assist me with this.

/Mulle

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
there's good and bad in all eras, as you have said.....post plenty of good clear pictures and a price, if you want an opinion on this guitar.

MuLLe

Reaction score
Here comes some pictures.

In Euros the price is 3300 Euros.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Airplane

Reaction score
the wax potted pu would probably bother me but other than that, if it plays well enough, i will much rather buy this than a reissue. i never played a 70s solid body but i have a 69 ES 345 that checks all the Norlin boxes except for the big volute and it’s an amazing guitar. great pickups, perfect neck and nice feeling old wood and lacquer.

Bobby Marshall

Reaction score
Look for signs of repairs. If intact it should kill. I have a 79 LPC and I know someone with a 72, they both kill. I had to pot my pickups too as too microphonic. YMMV

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is that dust on the front, in the pick-up area...or water damage/mold?

At over $3800 USD, I would pass so fast it would make the dot fly off of the I in Gibson.....wait, never mind, someone has already done that.

LP Traditional

Reaction score
I have a 77 custom and I love it! But I grew up on 70's Les Pauls and I have no experience in pre-Norlin Les Pauls.
I suppose you are in Europe and prices are higher here. I payed around 3000 euros for mine and it had much more wear and non-original pickups.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 76 Custom I've had for a few decades.... Love it.... Will never sell it....

Only thing not original I think is the brass nut and no pickup covers... Pickups are original TTs... I didn't do either but am good with it... Plays great, sounds fabulous.....

I highly recommend wide and thick heavy leather....Spreads the weight to the point of non-issue... I have an old orig Dr Song pickpocket I bought when I got it.... Hang that Lester on a light narrow thin strap and you'll more than feel it after three sets....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some bust on Norlins but they were built by the same folks before Norlin became the owner in name....

Lots of hits recorded on Norlin Lesters......

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
It has had a refret - which you may think is good or not, depending on taste. Me, i like the flat, wide frets those used to come with, i think they give the guitar a special feel, but many people like more substantial frets on their LPC's, and that's fair too. :)

As for what to look for: The same stuff you would look for on any guitar. Does the truss rod work, do the electronics work, is the neck aligned to the strings/bridge/pickups, is there room for action adjustment etc etc In short, all the usual stuff.

And since this is sort of a collectors instrument there is the matter of originality as well, to many modifications/problems and the price should go below "regular market pricing".

As for pricing LP's are more expensive here in the EURO ZONE (fgs Hardcore T, learn geography - those Gibsons are far away from home and RARE over here!!!) but perhaps 3300 is a bit optimistic on the sellers part. No more than 3000 flat out, and preferrably 2800 if possible. After all, it has been tampered with so that does detract from price..

MuLLe

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.
On Monday I will check it out :)

Elrathia

Reaction score
And of course, check back in here! I have 75 and 76 Customs. The weight is good on that one.

decoy205

Reaction score
I’ll good advice here. I would check the truss rod cavity to make sure there is room to move up or down. If it’s maxed out they could be a sign of neck issues. Also if you can bring a black light you can verify if the finish is original.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '72/'54 Limited Edition Custom that I've had since '73 and a '76 Deluxe that I've had since '77 and love 'em both to pieces.

As has been mentioned, there were good and bad guitars made in every era. If you try it and like it, I type go for it.

:cheers2:

Last edited:
Reactions: ehb

MuLLe

Reaction score
I tried it today but it wasnt a good one.
Dark and dull, worse thing was it was repainted. The black colour had smeared up on the neck bindings and also in the case interior.
It was very noticable at the bindings around the body.
The top had a very thick surface.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
aww man, that sucks. I am glad that you got to try before getting it home after purchasing online. I always buy online but I'm waiting for the day when I either get a broken headstock or a guitar has been grossly misrepresented.

Wilko

Reaction score
I had a '76 for a while. Never did bond with it. To me, most of those are "dull" sounding. Very tight clear tone with tons of sustain. Lacking overtones and harmonic richness.

That case is the best vintage case. That's what I use. Many real Burst owners use them as well. Gen I "protector case"

Latest Threads