Inlay lifting out of fretboard?

rubbieh

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have an LP Studio and 2 of the inlays seem to be coming loose and lifting out of the fretboard on the treble side (at the 7th and 12th fret markers). It's less noticeable on the 7th fret, but on the 12th I can actually feel it with my finger tip when doing bends. Is this something that will continue to get worse over time? I have a feeling it will. What would one suggest to take care of this?

Thanks!

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
It will get worse. It can be fixed quickly and well if you know how to control wicking super glue(CA) water thin and then clamping very quickly (dry run) and not gluing the clamp or overflowing the rout for the inlay. If your fretboard has seen a lot of oil or wax, it may take removal, using solvent and complete reinstallation and CA will still work.

John Bauers

Reaction score
With thin super glue you can clamp first and then apply the glue, it will wick into any voids via capillary action.

I have attached a photo of the brand I use, other brands are available.

Attachments

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I would agree with Mr. Bauers, with a caveat. I would not put that "final crank" on the clamp until I wicked in the CA- I would want some CA to end up in the flat of the inlay rout. And, preventative use of wax paper or piece of plastic milk jug to prevent making my guitar a "steel" guitar with a clamp glued to it.

Even Water- thin will not wick past many physical barriers as presented by a firmly tightened clamp. Also, use a caul to protect the back of the neck if possible-- "Caul you must use."**

** Yoda corrected via the Force

Latest Threads