Initials in truss rod cavity?

LPNAT76

Reaction score
Hi - I recently removed my truss rod cover of my 76 LP Standard. There were initials penned in. Would this have been a previous owner for identification or factory person who assembled the guitar?
Has anyone else have / seen this?
( I am new to the forum, so apologies if this has been addressed... )

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Most likely done by a previous owner for ID in case it was stolen and the serial number was removed or altered.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi - I recently removed my truss rod cover of my 76 LP Standard. There were initials penned in. Would this have been a previous owner for identification or factory person who assembled the guitar?
Has anyone else have / seen this?
( I am new to the forum, so apologies if this has been addressed... )
:welcome: To the forum and to the Norlin Section!

The Norlin years were some of the most inventive (and quirky) years in recent Gibson history.

What you have there are the telltale marks of a gen-u-ine factory worker at Gibson putting their stamp of approval on your neck part.

There was a lot more hand work back before the CNC machinery came in, and there are lots of places to find more personal love notes..

Under the pickups, in the control cavity, under the truss rod...

My 82 for example

dbwalker

Reaction score
and some were named, meet Vicky, my 83 Korina explorer, in another forum there is a thread with many names and initials under the pickup cavities, I never noticed if there are any in the truss rod cavity
20200201_100842resize.jpg

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is my 1978 custom with a RL mark... I’ve owned it over 40 years.

View attachment 455737
"RL" is for Randy Leonard, former Gibson Nashville employee. His initials (RFL) are in the control cavity of my '85 Pre-Historic. Randy kept a personal ledger of all the guitars he built when he was doing final assembly at the Nashville factory. My guitar was built Sept. 6, 1985 according to Randy.

'85 Reissue Control Cavity.jpg

LPNAT76

Reaction score
Funny, I was quite hesitant to post in fear of being blasted... maybe the topic has been covered extensively already... or some kind of scam... I don't know.. but after reading others and quite curious about my LP., I put it out there. Thanks to Keef as well whom I already contacted about serial numbers.
I have owned mine for about 10 years, bought in from a guy in Montreal, I think before then I believe it has lived in Europe.
Like many, we wonder where it has been and played. Mine is certainly a "players" condition. Belt rash, dings here and there, weathered... I love it.
So I am now curious who PK is? The previous owner or an employee from the era.
Thanks for the replies : )
Cheers.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I've had two with little 3/8" round stick on dots with initials under the clear in the pick up cavities. One neon yellow, one neon green.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! super cool. Thanks for the replies. And Mudface - your inscriptions are very similar to mine. I haven't checked under the pick ups yet. Next string change...
View attachment 455836
Well, either there was an employee at Gibson with the initials PK, or PK owned both your guitar and mine at some point.

My '78 Pro Deluxe.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
what you should do is ask a mod to merge this thread with the 3-4 more that are out there so that you can see the real perspective and get matches.

Latest Threads