Inflation - What are you doing about it ??

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
i plan to lay off Netflix as soon as I'm caught up on Saul.
Is the latest season out yet?
Last time I logged on to Netflix it was because I had seen that Big Lebowski was on it a few months ago... and what I found was very few movies or shows of any interest, and a ton of Netflix original content, of which I have no interest.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So hopefully this means there are a whole lot of people coming into the labour market who can take on some of these service industry and supply chain jobs...

cheers.
Not for a while....
They still collect unemployment, so they don't feel they can "accept" a job that pays less than $25/hr

So they beat the living shit out of their vehicles doing Uber and Doordash.

Olds442

Reaction score
maybe it's on my record list from xfinity stream. now i have to look.

last i knew we were 1.5 seasons behind. @CB91710

Olds442

Reaction score
They'd rather sit at home and live off of whatever stipends they can finagle.
based on what i received as "labor" in washington DC and fort lauderdale, only the most desperate are taking the labor calls. 50% of my call in DC was crap workers who wanted to sit and stare at their phones.

the steward and i had words.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
when i retired in 2020 i asked about coming in once or twice a week in case boredom set in.the company was not interested.last month i went in during break to visit friends...i start in 3 weeks,mid july.one 12 hour day a week should relieve boredom and give me a few extra buck to make up for inflation.if an old fart like me can do warehouse work theres no reason more young people cant.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The best way to fight inflation is try to never have to buy something "right now". Having a supply of something like soup or chili assures you there is always something to eat. As for meat, that's why god made freezers. It helps that I am the only one I have to feed. It helps that I am retired. It helps that I hit the stores early. When I was in Oakland watching my grandson, my son and I went to a Safeway around 5:30PM. He worked a full day and had to shop. It was a madhouse. There was no time or inclination to take the time to really shop. It was a grab and go. We did buy a few items on sale but it was nothing like what I am used to doing. I didn't like it at all. I felt sorry for him.
Honestly shopping the sales and filling the freezer it’s not really that bad. Folks don’t want to do that. When it’s high times, it’s all good. When prices start going up, the sky is falling. My rule when I shop is I won’t buy something not on sale. There are a million things to eat.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i dont take it quite that far,but i dont buy expensive stuff.well,excluding guitars.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in full on trim mode now. Inflation in UK is unreal right now, mostly driven by fuel and power costs. Which has got the BOE in a right old tither so they raised interest rates, yeah that'll work, take money out of peoples pockets so they'll be even deeper in the shit come winter.

We have a lot of low waged people in UK and I wonder how long it'll take for them to take to the streets? It needs to happen, really smack those politicians awake to their plight.

blackat

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can buy a family pack of chicken thighs, some onions, carrots and potatoes and make a shitload of real chicken soup, which freezes nicely, and I think it's a better deal than the canned crap. I could be wrong.
With no sodium level that’s off the charts!

I make a vegetable soup with red wine that lasts for a good while and we freeze a bunch.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well obviously we're doing the most sensible thing possible in today's economy. My wife has decided to quit her job, a scant two years short of hitting full retirement eligibility, and is going to teach yoga full time. Actually, she won't lose much, she just won't be able to collect her pension right away by not sticking it out to the 30 year mark on the job.

I told her over a year ago, before things went south, that this was doable....if she would curb her extravagant spending.

So what am I doing? I'm reminding her every so often that she needs to stay off Amazon and the like....as I watch packages get delivered every other day.

On the bright side, I can go from being clean cut to looking homeless pretty easily, and with all the deliveries we have plenty of cardboard for me to make panhandling signs.
Late reply and maybe I already did reply (who knows)... but quitting now (early "retirement") makes sense. She locks in a pension BEFORE they find an excuse to "let her go" with nothing.

Last edited:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
WE CANNOT SPEAK THE TRUTH OF THIS MATTER.
1656215000132.png

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was doing my early bird shopping this morning. I was in the meat dept and the butcher was off loading some pork shoulders. He had the empty box on his cart and I got it. I cruised around the store a bit and went back to the shoulders to check the price. They were 99 cents/lb!!!! When they do 99 they usually used a 3"dia yellow and red sticker that even I can see. He didn't do that this time. I bought 3 of them. :hippie: And that is how I fight inflation and thank whomever that I can eat pork.

sonar1

Reaction score
I have quit buying manufactured guitars.

From now on I shall pay less for more:
-another Desert Star Guitar repeat customer.

Yeah I know I’m sounding like a brown noser fanboy.
I can’t help it.
I don’ wanna play nothin’ else.

Cheaper’n a new RV anyway… ;)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We're going to sell one of our grandchildren to pay for the gas on our road trip up to Boston next week. We won't get enough to cover the entire cost, however, my daughter is going to make up for the difference, with the savings she'll realize from not having to feed, house and clothe the little fucker.

LocoTex

Reaction score
We're going to sell one of our grandchildren to pay for the gas on our road trip up to Boston next week. We won't get enough to cover the entire cost, however, my daughter is going to make up for the difference, with the savings she'll realize from not having to feed, house and clothe the little fucker.
I'm always threatening to sell my redhead granddaughter in Mexico....she should bring a good price there.

I'm kidding......I think....

danohat

Reaction score
I'll be working this winter. I took last winter off to heal the back. Backache or not, I'm working.

slug_maine

Reaction score
(Bloomberg) -- Global oil prices could reach a “stratospheric” $380 a barrel if US and European penalties prompt Russia to inflict retaliatory crude-output cuts, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analysts warned.

A 3 million-barrel cut to daily supplies would push benchmark London crude prices to $190, while the worst-case scenario of 5 million could mean “stratospheric” $380 crude, the analysts wrote.

“The most obvious and likely risk with a price cap is that Russia might choose not to participate and instead retaliate by reducing exports,” the analysts wrote. “It is likely that the government could retaliate by cutting output as a way to inflict pain on the West. The tightness of the global oil market is on Russia’s side.”

:eek:

• Wow
Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads