Inflation - What are you doing about it ??

Zungle

Reaction score
I live in the Seattle Metro Region. There are a lot of affluent people and the stores know it. They have the ability to post prices that would shock people where it's normal. The Campbell Chunky and Prog are right next to each other on the shelf. Chunky $2.99. Prog $4.39. :eek2: A can of regular old Camp soup is $2.19.
You mean fvked up people ??

The effluent people have been moving east.....or south.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I shop early and avoid as much contact with "those" people as I can . There are usually less than 10 customers in the store when I shop. I have gone to them later in the day and I got the willies. I couldn't wait to get away from "them". :run:

Buffalo

Reaction score
I can buy a family pack of chicken thighs, some onions, carrots and potatoes and make a shitload of real chicken soup, which freezes nicely, and I think it's a better deal than the canned crap. I could be wrong.
On most days i only eat low fat cottage cheese with an apple or a peach, and once a week i eat a salad with a fried chicken or beef on top. It's amazing how few a adult person actually really needs to eat.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The best way to fight inflation is try to never have to buy something "right now". Having a supply of something like soup or chili assures you there is always something to eat. As for meat, that's why god made freezers. It helps that I am the only one I have to feed. It helps that I am retired. It helps that I hit the stores early. When I was in Oakland watching my grandson, my son and I went to a Safeway around 5:30PM. He worked a full day and had to shop. It was a madhouse. There was no time or inclination to take the time to really shop. It was a grab and go. We did buy a few items on sale but it was nothing like what I am used to doing. I didn't like it at all. I felt sorry for him.

The market absolutely sucks as the day wears on. I'm with you there.

Earlier the better. After 2pm out here, the store is a zoo.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to fight inflation is try to never have to buy something "right now".

Profound.

Keeps you from pissing away money too.....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking snagging a bunch of dried beans of all kinds, some pork chunks, and dig out the big pot....

Make a big pot of beans, let em cool down, and get the vac seal.... Pop em in the freezer....

Later on, drop one or two right out of the freezer in the sous vide tank in the morning... Thick hot bean soup for supper... Cut bags and dump in bowl...

Buffalo

Reaction score
I'm thinking snagging a bunch of dried beans of all kinds, some pork chunks, and dig out the big pot....
Make a big pot of beans, let em cool down, and get the vac seal.... Pop em in the freezer....

Later on, drop one or two right out of the freezer in the sous vide tank in the morning... Thick hot bean soup for supper... Cut bags and dump in bowl...
Cooking and reheating frozen food is expensive due the high energy costs too.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What's going to happen to all those people that just had to have used cars "right now" and paid huge markups and financed them? Used cars prices will revert to the mean and they will be so underwater they should have bought submarines.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooking and reheating frozen food is expensive due the high energy costs too.

I think that would be offset by a wide margin by slow heating in sous vide tank...uses very little energy....

Buffalo

Reaction score
I think that would be offset by a wide margin by slow heating in sous vide tank...uses very little energy....
More heat in a less time or less heat in more time doesn't make a difference physically to the total energy needed for the soup itself. But more cooking time results in more additional energy for all the other stuff around like the control electronics in the oven, the light bulb in your kitchen, etc ...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sous vide is a different animal. It maintains temp of an insulated container of water. The water reheats the soup. The heating device is smaller than a rolling pin. On very little as water once brought to temp will not change temp quickly.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Sous vide is a different animal. It maintains temp of an insulated container of water. The water reheats the soup. The heating device is smaller than a rolling pin. On very little as water once brought to temp will not change temp quickly.
Energy = mass * temp. difference * specific heat capacity

E = m * dT * hc

It doesn't matter what you use to heat the stuff.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I actually have one those big cast iron pots. I can use my Squier guitars for wood and play my harmonica while everything simmers. :hippie:
1656017199460.png

Latest Threads