Inflation - What are you doing about it ??

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If Progresso Soup goes on sale for 99 cents a can, I will back up the van and buy all that I can. Retail it is $4.39. That is not hoarding. That is smart.

So who said you were hoarding?

Buying shit because of fear of running out, backing up and filling the truck with more than you can reasonably use out of fear, that's lame.

Then there's that idiot Australian guy who decided to fuck everybody and cornered the market on toilet paper, ended up trying to sell it for profit during the pandemic, he got found out and kicked off of ebay. He got stuck with it all, couldn't sell it like he wanted to at inflated prices to panicking hoarders.

Which one are you?

Want to save money on soup? Make your own fucking soup. That is smart.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Instead of buying silly boutique guitars I'm having them made in China and swapping out the pups and hardware. There is even one guy that will ship them without pups or hardware.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Instead of buying silly boutique guitars I'm having them made in China and swapping out the pups and hardware. There is even one guy that will ship them without pups or hardware.
Then you could just buy a Harley Benton Custom. Made in China, but with Grover tuners and EMGs.
Cost's you less then the EMGs and the Grovers on their own.

dnabbet2

Reaction score
... and when he abolished Bretton Woods. ( For the younger folks, thats when the dollar turned from a gold backed currency to fiat money)
For even older folks, FDR relaxed gold reserve requirements, suspended the gold standard except for foreign exchange, revoked gold as universal legal tender, and suspended the private accumulation of large quantities of gold coins in the 1930s. But it had already been part of election platforms for a while. (https://americanmonetaryassociation.org/2010/12/09/how-the-us-dollar-came-to-be-a-fiat-currency/)

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely damn right they're not.

SB "down the hill", Long Beach, etc is the same as it is here. Even the one in Cajon Pass. Tough meat.

Vons down there will be the same as Vons in Victorville.

Both will run periodic sales on stuff like T-bones, NY strips, etc. Both are listed as "USDA choice". Both will be about $7-$8 per lb.

Wait for a sale week. Try out Vons, compare it to SB at the same sale price.

I guarantee you that you for the same money spent, will not want SB meats again. Count on it.

I will NOT buy SB meats. I've been bamboozled too many times. USDA choice sirloin that was as tough as chuck. Rubber in my mouth.

While the Vons counterpart , same grade, was miles better. Juicy, flavorful and tender. Not rubber. At the exact same sale price too.

See for yourself, my good buddy. The difference is so great, we will not shop for meat at our local SB just 8 miles away. We will make the 45 mile , 90 round-trip to Vons in Victorville.

Nice store, used to be a Pavillons..

We will buy chicken and other stuff at the local SB, but no beef.

And, have you ever noticed the ground beef prices at SB? $6-$7 per lb? WTF??

(and for those who think I'm defeating the purpose with such a long drive, we wait and schedule our necessary trips into Victoville; Dr appts and such, to be the same day we meat shop, and we buy in bulk so we only have to do that about once a month or so.)
I wonder if Albertson's are the same? Most of the Vons stores in this area (being very close to Albertson's) closed and became Smart & Final. There's still a few that were not close to Albertson's that retained the name after the merger.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Progresso Soup goes on sale for 99 cents a can, I will back up the van and buy all that I can. Retail it is $4.39. That is not hoarding. That is smart.

Campbell's Chunkys and Prog soups at Dollar Gentrul down here is 3 for $5 every day.... Hard to beat that for regular price.... I stock up at the one across from my shop... I have bought em on sale for a 1.25...

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I can buy a family pack of chicken thighs, some onions, carrots and potatoes and make a shitload of real chicken soup, which freezes nicely, and I think it's a better deal than the canned crap. I could be wrong.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Down here, plenty of food options besides a grocery store.... I feel for folks in places where that is not the case...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody needs a vac sealer and I recommend a sous vide w/ tank, especially for working folks.... Fill tank, set temp, pull vac bag out of freezer and drop in tank, go to work... Be fine when you get home...especially soup type stuff...

LP121

Reaction score
So who said you were hoarding?

Buying shit because of fear of running out, backing up and filling the truck with more than you can reasonably use out of fear, that's lame.

Then there's that idiot Australian guy who decided to fuck everybody and cornered the market on toilet paper, ended up trying to sell it for profit during the pandemic, he got found out and kicked off of ebay. He got stuck with it all, couldn't sell it like he wanted to at inflated prices to panicking hoarders.

Which one are you?

Want to save money on soup? Make your own fucking soup. That is smart.

You should see the pantry in my house.

My wife isn't a hoarder, it's just result of several years of canning and accumulating canned goods.

I will never starve. :laugh2:

One thing we don't do is panic buy. We never had a problem during the toilet paper shortage. We bought 1 pack and it lasted through the whole thing.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The best way to fight inflation is try to never have to buy something "right now". Having a supply of something like soup or chili assures you there is always something to eat. As for meat, that's why god made freezers. It helps that I am the only one I have to feed. It helps that I am retired. It helps that I hit the stores early. When I was in Oakland watching my grandson, my son and I went to a Safeway around 5:30PM. He worked a full day and had to shop. It was a madhouse. There was no time or inclination to take the time to really shop. It was a grab and go. We did buy a few items on sale but it was nothing like what I am used to doing. I didn't like it at all. I felt sorry for him.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never understood the terlet paper insanity... Why terlet roll? Made no sense....

PeteK

Reaction score
Never understood the terlet paper insanity... Why terlet roll? Made no sense....
My wife's grandma at the begging of the plague hysteria went on a Costco run. She asked me to help her put stuff away on the shelves in her garage. So she's going on this rant about how people were hoarding toilet paper and every cart at Costco had several mega packs of it and people are just being ridiculous. Then without missing a breath, she tells me to put her 4 mega packs of toilet paper on top of the already 10 megapacks on the shelf. :laugh2:

She would have to shit like 50 times a day for the next 10 years to go through the amount of toilet paper she has in her garage, but every time she goes to Costco, she buys more.

dnabbet2

Reaction score
I never understood the toilet paper maniacs: most of the world does without flush toilets. But if scoring enough of it keeps them busy and out of the booze, meat, seafood, and junk-food aisles, it's alright by me. The key is recognising a necessity.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Campbell's Chunkys and Prog soups at Dollar Gentrul down here is 3 for $5 every day.... Hard to beat that for regular price.... I stock up at the one across from my shop... I have bought em on sale for a 1.25...
I live in the Seattle Metro Region. There are a lot of affluent people and the stores know it. They have the ability to post prices that would shock people where it's normal. The Campbell Chunky and Prog are right next to each other on the shelf. Chunky $2.99. Prog $4.39. :eek2: A can of regular old Camp soup is $2.19.

Last edited:
Reactions: ehb

redcoats1976

Reaction score
going back to work one day a week in july,12 hour day.im pretty sure my wife is already planning on how to spend the money...

Zungle

Reaction score
Just received price increase notification on glass.....

40-50% from manufacturers.......

Could be largest single increase on record.....

Local fabricators are now considering pre-emptive lay offs.

Definitely not great news for my industry.....

Latest Threads