Inflation has reached guitar gear, how long will it last?

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
So I was browsing gear over at Sweetwater as I normally do. And I'm just shocked at the level of price inflation going on. Case in point, Vox AC10 had been at $500 for a long time. Even as other brands were hiking prices, (when everything started to re-open), the Vox's were holding steady, but now the AC10 is at $650.

I guess it's part of the new world, with logistics and supply chains, coping with the explosion in demand again. So theoretically, those supply chain rev back up prices should go down, right? How long do you guys think these price inflations will last? or are they here to stay?

ARandall

Reaction score
My guess is that in some areas you might see an adjustment, but in others you will simply see an extended plateau.
The longer shortages of all aspects of supply go on, the less chance there is for a bounceback.

mr. rj

Reaction score
Here in Canada (long & mcquade), the Gibson Les Paul Classic recently increased over $300 in a single month. Luckily I got one a couple months ago for regular price $2549, but I now feel sorry for those that may be thinking of purchasing a new Classic for $2859. I checked the Gibson site and their prices are still the same as a few months ago, so I'm not sure why the markup is so high on a single model. The LP standards are the same price....weird....

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
In Australia prices have always been a little high but recently I have seen some crazy prices on used MIJ Fender strats and teles. Like 1500 Aus when they should be around 600-900. For some reason no one has jumped on my Bacchus classic special which is cheaper than 1500. The Japan auctions also seem to be a bit inflated these days... I think part of it is that we have to use expensive couriers like DHL because Japan post wont ship here.

E.T.

Reaction score
¢#1:
It will last as long as crackmonkeys are in charge of global economics.
¢#2:
Oscarwrong.gif

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 years ago I noticed that escalating vintage guitar prices started to expand from just the favored few iconic guitars to include just about any guitar in the market.

By 2010, the people I knew who had been in the guitar biz since the seventies were shaking their heads at the supposed values used stuff was bringing.

3-bolt neck Fenders from the seventies had become “vintage” and clean ones were selling for $2k.
But the funny thing was, the ones that were beat all to hell were also going for $2k as long as they functioned properly. A guitar that was beat up 35 years ago now was a “relic” and it was commanding top dollar.
Or 20 times what it sold for five years earlier.

One dealer in Phoenix told me he wouldn’t even buy a used Les Paul in the early eighties. And ordered the bare minimum from Gibson.
It was the height of shredders playing super Strats and everyone needed a Floyd Rose.
He said he had new and used Les Pauls stacked up like cord wood and was happy if he could get $400 for a used one.
Of course, Guns & Roses changed all that in 1988. The Les Paul was BACK.

By 2006, the whole fake aging, Mojo in a can, Murphy relic thing was legitimized by Gibson and their VOS craze. Suddenly EVERYTHING got a “Custom Shop” sticker on the headstock. Sure, they were building some very good guitars, but the silliness of it all…

I think the market had more or less settled into its new normal, somewhat predictable again, until the China Syndrome last year.
My biggest surprise?
40 million people lose their jobs, businesses failing in record numbers, and a frivolous product in the market like guitars started flying off the racks.
Supply & demand, prices driven by scarcity, and the values get stupid again.
Not just on the rare, desirable, high-end guitars either…
Cheap, mass-produced Chinese junk is selling at surprising prices.

The result I see?
It’s going to take a couple of years for the supply problem to be satisfied, and for the market to adjust for things to settle out again.
By the time we reach a new normal, everyone will be conditioned to accept higher prices. Until the market sags and we start seeing a glut of certain products, I don’t think we will see prices going low enough to match what we saw in 2019.

So there’s an opinion from some guy on the internet.

Last edited:

mr. rj

Reaction score
Cheap, mass-produced Chinese junk is selling at surprising prices.

The result I see?
It’s going to take a couple of years for the supply problem to be satisfied, and for the market to adjust for things to settle out again.
By the time we reach a new normal, everyone will be conditioned to accept higher prices. Until the market sags and we start seeing a glut of certain products, I don’t think we will see prices going low enough to match what we saw in 2019.

So there’s an opinion from some guy on the internet.
pretty good breakdown and insight, I also agree with you. However, I normally wouldn't be a defender of 'chinese junk'....but the made in china epi 59's are the epitome of all epi models, with exception of the made in japan epi custom.

The lumber prices are now finally seeing a drop here in Canada, although not quite to pre-pandemic prices, still better than double or triple. I don't know if Gibson uses Canadian maple though...

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
China already gets enough of my disposable income by default.
I have no choice in most products I buy for my home.
When it comes to guitars, I have a choice.
If it’s made in China, I will not own it.

mr. rj

Reaction score
China already gets enough of my disposable income by default.
I have no choice in most products I buy for my home.
When it comes to guitars, I have a choice.
If it’s made in China, I will not own it.
I'm pretty weary now days myself with foreign products. Not only does it make sense to keep our own economy alive, but I now think of what could potentially be stowed away in shipping, invasive species for one. The borders likely do a good job on inspections, but guaranteed they miss some stuff either by mistake or on purpose (ie.drug trade). I would hate to get more than I bargained for, such as unwanted insects or unknown white powder...lol

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I too have noticed escalating prices for gear. First, it seemed to be for used stuff, as the new stuff seemed to be on infinite back order. Now severe inflation is hitting new gear. Sweetwater has recently increased prices by around 10% on items that have been out of stock since the beginning of the troubles. Not a good time to buy guitars and gear! Not doing so is the only way to bring prices down.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Personally, I think this is the new norm. Although I hope I'm wrong.

Latest Threads