Indiana Jones 5 starts shooting in two months. God help us all.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Quote from Harrison Ford:

Y'know, running around in tight pants and high boots. I'll give you a more appropriate answer considering that I'm gonna start doing Indiana Jones in about two months, I'm always delighted to come back to these characters. When we have the opportunity to make another it's because people have enjoyed them. I feel obliged to make sure that our efforts are as ambitious as they were when we started. You have a sense of responsibility to your customers.
Look, I love Harrison Ford. He's fucking awesome. But he's also old as fuck and that's a massive problem.

Indiana Jones is not Han Solo. Han Solo is a character with an arc. Indiana Jones is not a character, he's an archetype. He's a collection of traits that appeal to male audience members. He's tough without being a meathead, smart without being a dork, he's wealthy, he sleeps around, he goes on adventures, he has a cool outfit no one could credibly wear anymore and he fucking murders people who fuck with him while he's trying to steal sacred artifacts for money.

That's it.

Everything else that is Indiana Jones comes from the performance of Harrison Ford. And it's not really performance, it's mostly presence. Harrison Ford in a hat doing badass things like murdering people. That's Indiana Jones.

But because Indiana Jones is wish fulfillment he doesn't work as a senior citizen. Nobody wants to be an old man. A 78-year-old Indiana Jones is contradictory to the very idea of Indy. Even in The Last Crusade he was a little too old.

This is one franchise that should take the Fury Road route: Strip everything away, go back to the core of the character, heavily utilize practical stunts and visual effects, and recast the role with a younger actor.

And if Indiana Jones couldn't work without Harrison Ford, then the best move is just to let the series end. Indy has already ridden off into the sunset, there's nothing more we really need to see.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
I recently watched the newest Rambo and Terminator movies and both of them pretty much sucked. I bet a new Indy movie wont be any better.

jkes01

Reaction score
Well if he felt the same about Han, they wouldn’t have had to kill him off.

:iough:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
The last Indiana Jones wasn't very good.
That's the understatement of the day.
The last one was excruciating.

So let's say they reboot with a younger actor.
Who does it?
You can't replace Ford any more than Eastwood, Willis, Hackman, or Nicholson.
Some guys just are the character we love.

And doesn't Disney own that franchise too??
This could be awful beyond anything we could imagine.
KK in charge of Indiana Jones??
What could go wrong?

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
78 isn't old..for a pope or a Rolling Stone..so why not..?
Because Indiana Jones' character is intrinsically tied to him not being a feeble old man.

Indiana Jones is the epitome of masculinity and what every man secretly (or not) wishes he could be. That's the entire scope of his character.

He's not a well rounded character, he doesn't really develop and he has no real arc. He's just a cipher the movie uses to play out its spectacular action sequences. Indiana Jones is an indestructible badass and that's why the movies are popular. There's no market for a melancholy movie where an aging Indiana Jones contemplates his mortality at the end of his long and storied life. It ain't happening. He's just a hat and a leather coat that carries a revolver and a bullwhip, and who punches people, strangles them with a whip, shoots them, throws them into a pit of molten lava, runs over them with a truck, drops them off a bridge into a river filled with crocodiles, and steals valuable artifacts sacred to ancient cultures for his own selfish pursuit of fortune and glory.

That's the understatement of the day.
The last one was excruciating.

So let's say they reboot with a younger actor.
Who does it?
You can't replace Ford any more than Eastwood, Willis, Hackman, or Nicholson.
Some guys just are the character we love.

And doesn't Disney own that franchise too??
This could be awful beyond anything we could imagine.
KK in charge of Indiana Jones??
What could go wrong?
It's owned by Disney but it's nothing near the level of franchise that Star Wars is and Disney hasn't done anything with it. Kennedy would likely give Spielberg license to do whatever the hell he wants.

As for a younger actor, nobody could be as good. That's why they shouldn't make any more Indiana Jones movies. It's basic math.

Indiana Jones must be played by Harrison Ford
Indiana Jones cannot be played by a Senior citizen
Harrison Ford is a Senior Citizen

Therefore, Indiana Jones cannot be played by anyone.

Take that common core.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
They tried that with Shia LaBurf... didn't work....
That entire movie from beginning to end, top to bottom, was a dumpster fire, complete with CGI monkeys fighting Russians, guys who apparently live their whole lives as mud wall wallpaper waiting for an intruder, and surviving a nuke in a fridge. That skull that was so "highly magnetic" that it pulled gunpowder from across a warehouse but didn't suck the iron our of their blood when they opened it. Did those nails look stainless to anyone else? What about the nails in the boxes next to it? I could go on and on and on. I don't mind a little suspension of disbelief, but that's just lazy fuckin writing.

Once again, Georgie-boy sits down with a pen, a bottle of chardonnay and nobody to tell him "No, George.... You can't fuckin write that. It's stupid."

Shia was painful to watch. So was Karen whatserface. Even John Hurt was a dud. The entire thing should be forgotten about. Sometimes I watch it just to laugh at how bad it is.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
That entire movie from beginning to end, top to bottom, was a dumpster fire, complete with CGI monkeys fighting Russians, guys who apparently live their whole lives as mud wall wallpaper waiting for an intruder, and surviving a nuke in a fridge. That skull that was so "highly magnetic" that it pulled gunpowder from across a warehouse but didn't suck the iron our of their blood when they opened it. Did those nails look stainless to anyone else? What about the nails in the boxes next to it? I could go on and on and on. I don't mind a little suspension of disbelief, but that's just lazy fuckin writing.

Once again, Georgie-boy sits down with a pen, a bottle of chardonnay and nobody to tell him "No, George.... You can't fuckin write that. It's stupid."

Shia was painful to watch. So was Karen whatserface. Even John Hurt was a dud. The entire thing should be forgotten about. Sometimes I watch it just to laugh at how bad it is.
The whole reason it took so long to make that movie is because Lucas was fixated on the stupid Crystal Skull alien thing and everyone else thought it was a stupid idea for years before they finally relented and did it.

Fucking George.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Hopefully he does a better job at the movie than he’s done flying his airplanes in recent years. As long as they don’t ask him to run at all in the script it might somehow work. Because in Star wars when he attempted to what you might call a run at his age it looked like the classic “old man needing to take a dump” scoot we’ve all done in our lives at one time. Unfortunately Harrison considers it a running style at this stage of his life and puts it on film.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because Indiana Jones' character is intrinsically tied to him not being a feeble old man.
I agree. Indy was "1935 dude", and to put him in as the leading man in another, more modern (1960's?) adventure is ridiculous. In fact, they sorta made fun of Indy's "dad" in the third movie (Connery) as being a doddering, foolish old dude. That was for the purposes of being "endearing". Now what? He's going to play a character as old as his "dad"?

You can't be "endearing" and be the lead man in an adventure flick.

That job is for the obligatory little kid who shows up somewhere in the first 20. Then after the kid does his job of being "endearing", he falls to peril and rest of the flick is about trying to rescue him from said peril.

In The Last Crusade, Indy's "dad" became the endearing character who needed rescuing which replaced the little boy in the previous flick.

-All this quite obvious, of course.

***OR***

Are they going to Botox him up, pancake him up, CG him up to look like he's 48 and ready to rumble again?

Put him in a girdle worthy of Bill Shatner. Couple o' butt tucks, tighten up the tits..

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
It'll probably be another dumpster fire like crystal skull. I'll probably watch it though.

They should do the same as the James Bond films and when the badass gets too old, just find a new guy and just do the same theme.

Take somebody like Chris Evans (Cap. America) put him in the hat and give him a bullwhip.

We just gotta not have Nazi's in it. I dislike them as much as anybody else but it's been eighty years of killin them, lets fight somebody else already.

THDNUT

Reaction score
I hope the movie bombs and all the rich producers lose their asses.

I tired of this sequel bullshit. Especially when the main character is 35 years older than he should be to do the part.

Last edited:

Latest Threads