Indian hen woodpeckers

scott1970

Reaction score
We have them in North Georgia, but I only see them every few years. This morning, while reading about trans fats on the backyard patio, one began beating the mess out of one of my trees.

What an amazing animal which proves there is a God with a sense of humor.

KTM

Reaction score
That second one looks like a Pileated woodpecker to me. Is the "Indian Hen woodpecker" a local term for them? There's a large population of the Pileated woodpeckers near my property. I feed them suet all winter long, they go through it like it's candy.

Pileated Woodpecker_01.jpg

Pileated Woodpecker_02.jpg

KTM

Reaction score
The two photos I posted above are of a male Pileated woodpecker. Here's a female. Note the fewer red feathers on the head of the female.

Pileated Woodpecker_03.jpg

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not remember ol woody being this lucky when I was a kid watching cartoons..

Not gay though.
not that there is anything wrong with that
ExcitableWellgroomedImperatorangel-small.gif

defcrew

Reaction score
Those are pretty big birds relative to your typical sparrow, wren, robin, blue jay, etc. They can mos def do some damage to a facia on a house if it has carpenter bees in it. Those two in concert are insidious. They surely stand out, don't they?

Roxy13

Reaction score
It looks similar to one I saw in the winter 1.5years ago outside my kitchen. That one was going nuts on a cocoon. I think it was a praying mantis cocoon. Whatever kind if was that bird was getting all the eggs or babies or whatever out of there.

krauley

Reaction score
always liked the redheads since early on, my dad was in the

and i remember this from a very young age.