Independent vol. wiring on an Epi Flying V

garybaldy

Reaction score

az2000

Reaction score
seems to have independent volumes and I don't think I like it.
Are you referring to the type of wiring where you can silence one pickup without silencing both? (Whereas, with standard volume wiring the volume controls interact. If you silence one you silence both?)

If so, I'm trying to imagine why standard volume couldn't share a tone. If "independent volume" wiring worked, it seems like standard volume would too.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Are you referring to the type of wiring where you can silence one pickup without silencing both? (Whereas, with standard volume wiring the volume controls interact. If you silence one you silence both?)

If so, I'm trying to imagine why standard volume couldn't share a tone. If "independent volume" wiring worked, it seems like standard volume would too.
Yes. in the middle position Id like to be able to silence both with just one vol knob - just like every other 2xHB guitar I have.
ps I.ll have to check one of my Tokais which only has one tone!

az2000

Reaction score
Yes. in the middle position Id like to be able to silence both with just one vol knob - just like every other 2xHB guitar I have.
I don't know very much about this. But, I don't understand why it wouldn't work with standard volume wiring. It's just 1) swapping the pickup input & switch output. And, 2) moving one leg of the capacitor.

You're probably familiar with the wiring. A few months ago I had to create this diagram to help me keep track of the variations:

Compare the top-left with the bottom left. It seems to me if sharing a tone pot works one way, it would work the other.

FWIW: I tried "independent" volume. I didn't care for it. (It sounded loud in a way I didn't like.). You might lose that.

I had master volume & tone (one knob each). I replaced that with dual-concentric pots to have separate pots (vol/tone for each pickup, without more holes). You could do that with the one tone you have. It might not look right if you're trying to keep it original.

Last edited:

garybaldy

Reaction score
I don't know very much about this. But, I don't understand why it wouldn't work with standard volume wiring. It's just 1) swapping the pickup input & switch output. And, 2) moving one leg of the capacitor.

You're probably familiar with the wiring. A few months ago I had to create this diagram to help me keep track of the variations:

Compare the top-left with the bottom left. It seems to me if sharing a tone pot works one way, it would work the other.

FWIW: I tried "independent" volume. I didn't care for it. (It sounded loud in a way I didn't like.). You might lose that.

I had master volume & tone (one knob each). I replaced that with dual-concentric pots to have separate pots (vol/tone for each pickup, without more holes). You could do that with the one tone you have. It might not look right if you're trying to keep it original.
Thanks for the wiring diags az.
Nice idea about the dual concentric tone. I did it on a two knob Danelectro 12 string for more control (vol and tone). I would have to think about it for my V - appearance could be an issue.
Hopefully someone here will have a definitive answer whether you can have dependent vols with a shared tone. If you can't, I may rewire the single tone just for the bridge. I rarely use the neck tone.

az2000

Reaction score
I would have to think about [dual concentric] for my V - appearance could be an issue.
I know exactly what you mean. This is a difficult topic. I don't want to make anyone who has stacked knobs feel bad about their guitar. But, I didn't like the commonly-available knobs. They were not proportional, kind of tall (not subtle, elegant).

But, worse, the pot's shafts were too long. I would either get a "where's the flood" appearance (bottom/outer knob too tall). Or, the top/inner knob suspended too high.

Fortunately, I realized I could remove the inner shaft, cut/file it (and the outer shaft) to get perfect height/length for each knob. I also found I could file the base of the stacked knobs (particularly the top one) to get a more proportional look. (And then adjust the shaft lengths "fit" that). I documented how I did that here.

It would still look different. Definitely not original. But, you can customize the knobs. I mixed and matched three different stacked knobs. That might not be right for you. But, this mini MK-0138 knob might be acceptable (especially if you lower it):

(click or larger)

It comes in chrome (and gold). You could do a black bottom knob & chrome top. That might look nice (more closely match the top hats you have now). If the tone's the middle knob, it might look right. (The trick is to customize the knob heights, especially the top one. And, modify the pot shafts to make them fit together, and just the right height from the body).

If there's no way to get standard volume wiring, and you really want it, that wouldn't be too bad. You can always reinstall the original pot & knob if you prefer a stock appearance.

Last edited:

Latest Threads