Incoming! Sampson-era Bad Cat Cub

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
I've had Matchless GAS for a lonnnnnng time, ever since the 90s when I was pressed up against NYC stages at God Street Wine shows getting pummeled by the sonic brilliance of frontman Lo Faber's Lightning. They just don't come up for sale very often, and the most desirable ones from the Mark Sampson era always command a hefty premium.

I saw this '03 Bad Cat Cub II R pop up on the 'Verb at a price that was just too good to pass up, especially after some very easy and chill negotiations. It's scuffed up and is missing the knob on the master, but the shop tech said it's solid as a rock and sounds glorious. It's got a bit of a long road to get here, but fingers crossed that by the end of next week my wife will absolutely hate it, and me (the truest mark of a good rock amp).

Bad Cat.jpg

The Cub II is basically a Matchless Lightning on "Spectrum" and a Spitfire on "Focused." This one has far fewer bells and whistles than the current production Cub IV, but truthfully this was the one I've been most interested in ever since I saw this demo vid of a non-reverb Cub from the same year by Kyle Rowe, the guy who runs the Bad Cat group on FB:

If this one is too loud for doghouse use (a good possibility given its reputation, even at 15 watts) I will likely move it along and order a brand new one with the improved MV. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Aint' amp GAS great?

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Wahoo, New Amp Day! (finally)

Due to the apparently insane level of business the shipping companies are doing during the pandemic, my amp was "out for delivery" for FIVE DAYS before I finally received it today.

20200727_214343.jpg

My kids were all asleep by the time I got it unpacked and ready to go, so I was limited to low-volume noodling. My first impressions:

Cleans are gorgeous, especially in the Spectrum position. Very sweet and musical. Not a ton of headroom, but about as much as I expected from a 15-watt combo.

It's good that the Master Volume is on a push/pull pot so it can easily be taken out. So far, at the modest volumes I've tried, it very much neutered the amp's tone.

Reverb is a bit on the subtle side but sounds really good. In fact, I'm predicting it will be left dimed upward of 90 percent of the time, it sounds so good.

Man, this thing is heavy. Built like a tank, as evidenced by the fact that it was packed very lightly yet survived a nearly-two-week journey clear across the country and arrived in perfect working order.

I'm really stoked so far. Tomorrow I'll turn it right up and get down to business. :dude:

morats8up

Reaction score
Congrats man, I have a Bad Cat Hot cat 30 2x12 combo and the cleans are simply to die for. The volume this amp puts out is bone rattling

Latest Threads