Incoming NGD Time Killing Question

THAWK819

Reaction score
I found what seemed like a great deal on a new, old stock, American Professional Telecaster from 2017 that was apparently just sitting in a little mom and pop music shop in Greeley, Colorado for the last 6 years. Being from 2017, it still has an ash body with a rosewood board, rather than the pine and pau ferrau they have been using in the years since.

I'm super excited to get this guitar, which according to the UPS app is about 45 minutes away, but my question is how long after receiving a mail order guitar do you wait to open it up and play it? When I got my PRS from Willcutt, they advised leaving it in the case for 24 hours before opening it (granted, that was in January and it was significantly colder in NY than it is in late September).

Being a poly finished guitar, it's not like the finish is going to crack all over by going from 60 degrees outside to 70 degrees inside... right? Come to think of it; I've never seen any kind of finish checking on any poly finished instrument.

Is there any other concern to popping it open right away that I'm not considering in my NGD delirium?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This time of year, I don't think it matters at all - unless there is a HUGE swing in humidity or temp. Even then, poly isn't usually affected as you pointed out. I'd rip straight into it and start jamming!

THAWK819

Reaction score
This time of year, I don't think it matters at all - unless there is a HUGE swing in humidity or temp. Even then, poly isn't usually affected as you pointed out. I'd rip straight into it and start jamming!

That's exactly what I was hoping the answer would be. I'm pretty excited to play this. I tried one at a guitar show in Philly a few years ago, loved it, and didn't pull the trigger right away. I went back about 30 mins later and it was gone. If it plays similarly I'll be pretty happy.

With Ash and rosewood becoming more scarce; this could end up being one of, if not the, last run of non-custom shop teles made with that combo of woods too. It's got the V-MOD pickups, which seem fine, but I'm also casually looking out for Twisted Tele (neck) / Nocaster (bridge) to potentially swap in.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bolt on neck and Poly and temperature differential, minimal. No need to wait. That said, you still may want to do another setup after a day or two, as the neck primarily, acclimatizes to your home temp and humidity levels.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found what seemed like a great deal on a new, old stock, American Professional Telecaster from 2017 that was apparently just sitting in a little mom and pop music shop in Greeley, Colorado for the last 6 years. Being from 2017, it still has an ash body with a rosewood board, rather than the pine and pau ferrau they have been using in the years since.

I'm super excited to get this guitar, which according to the UPS app is about 45 minutes away, but my question is how long after receiving a mail order guitar do you wait to open it up and play it? When I got my PRS from Willcutt, they advised leaving it in the case for 24 hours before opening it (granted, that was in January and it was significantly colder in NY than it is in late September).

Being a poly finished guitar, it's not like the finish is going to crack all over by going from 60 degrees outside to 70 degrees inside... right? Come to think of it; I've never seen any kind of finish checking on any poly finished instrument.

Is there any other concern to popping it open right away that I'm not considering in my NGD delirium?
How did you manage to find that?

CyFan

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice score. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics!

Knoby

Reaction score
Exactly 3 days. No more no less.

It will go quick if you just sit the box in the center of the of the room next to a clock and stare at it.

Let us know how go with an unboxing update.

Latest Threads