Incoming NGD - PRS CE 24 Floyd Rose

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
So I've wanted 2 things for awhile. A guitar with a Floyd because I've never had one before, and I'd like to have one and play around with it. I'm not really into metal or anything but I think having a Floyd could be fun. Another guitar I've wanted for awhile is a PRS. I've never had a PRS either. I found a really nice PRS Custom 24 CE used on Reverb and decided to give them a try.

What are some Floyd Rose tips? Is there anything I should know about changing stings other than having to undo the locks on the nut and bridge? For tuning, do I need to unlock the strings on both the bridge and the nut? I imagine you'd tune each string 1 at a time, then lock it once you have it.

tzd

Reaction score
Is that the Dustie Waring model? That is really good looking!

Change strings one-by-one.

Before tuning each string, turn the fine-tuning screw to the middle of its range. I find the middle by screwing the low E string's fine tuning screw all the way out, and the D string fine tuning screw all the way in, and then I adjust the A fine tuning screw in between them. Then I adjust all the fine tuning screws in line with A.

Keep all the strings unlocked at the nut when tuning with the tuning pegs. The tuning process works exactly the same as a Fender floating trem bridge. In addition to the 6 tuning pegs, keep in mind that the two claw screws in the tremolo spring cavity is part of the tuning process, so you have to adjust tuning pegs, and balance it with adjusting the two claw screws, such that the bridge is parallel to the body when all 6 strings are in tune. I tune the strings from outside in - e, E, b, a, g, d, always checking the tuning of the previous strings after tuning the current one.

When all the strings are in tune with the nut unlocked, lock the nuts and then fine tune.

Do it well once, and subsequent string changes will be easy, and you will never go out of tune.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Is that the Dustie Waring model? That is really good looking!

Change strings one-by-one.

Before tuning each string, turn the fine-tuning screw to the middle of its range. I find the middle by screwing the low E string's fine tuning screw all the way out, and the D string fine tuning screw all the way in, and then I adjust the A fine tuning screw in between them. Then I adjust all the fine tuning screws in line with A.

Keep all the strings unlocked at the nut when tuning with the tuning pegs. The tuning process works exactly the same as a Fender floating trem bridge. In addition to the 6 tuning pegs, keep in mind that the two claw screws in the tremolo spring cavity is part of the tuning process, so you have to adjust tuning pegs, and balance it with adjusting the two claw screws, such that the bridge is parallel to the body when all 6 strings are in tune. I tune the strings from outside in - e, E, b, a, g, d, always checking the tuning of the previous strings after tuning the current one.

When all the strings are in tune with the nut unlocked, lock the nuts and then fine tune.

Do it well once, and subsequent string changes will be easy, and you will never go out of tune.
It's actually not the Dustie Waring model. It's just a Custom 24 CE with a Floyd. I'll post some photos when I arrives :]

If there's a good video showing how to properly do string changes on one of these, it'd be helpful :]

tzd

Reaction score
It's actually not the Dustie Waring model. It's just a Custom 24 CE with a Floyd. I'll post some photos when I arrives :]

If there's a good video showing how to properly do string changes on one of these, it'd be helpful :]
Could you possibly have meant SE and not CE? I'm not aware of CE (bolt-on neck) with Floyd Rose other than the Dustie Waring model.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Could you possibly have meant SE and not CE? I'm not aware of CE (bolt-on neck) with Floyd Rose other than the Dustie Waring model.
I've seen the 24 CE with a Floyd but they are rare. Here's a link to where I got it. Now I'm wondering if I got hustled LOL

The ad doesn't mention CE, but I confirmed with the seller via message that this was a USA built PRS. I mean if it's not, it's going back. That's like a $1000+ difference in value.

Edit: Perhaps this model isn't a CE, but another USA PRS that's similar.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
I've seen the 24 CE with a Floyd but they are rare. Here's a link to where I got it. Now I'm wondering if I got hustled LOL

The ad doesn't mention CE, but I confirmed with the seller via message that this was a USA built PRS. I mean if it's not, it's going back. That's like a $1000+ difference in value.
That is a real USA Core model Custom 24 with Floyd Rose. It's not a CE. CE models are made in USA and have a bolt-on neck. The one you got has a set neck.

Looks really good, hope you enjoy it!

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
That is a real USA Core model Custom 24 with Floyd Rose. It's not a CE. CE models are made in USA and have a bolt-on neck. The one you got has a set neck.

Looks really good, hope you enjoy it!
Yes I just realized this. Phew, was worried for a second there:eek2:

This actually might be a good thing since I prefer set necks VS bolt-ons. I thought all of these PRS Custom models were bolt-ons.

Reactions: tzd

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Congrats I hope you love it! You didn’t get hustled they did make some floyded CEs also but the set neck is the more expensive guitar too.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
So I got the guitar today. Seems pretty nice. I noticed it was way out of tune when I first played it so I decided to swap strings to the best of my ability. I got new strings on it but I seem to be having some issues getting it to stay in tune. Is the ability to stay in tune on a guitar with a Floyd like any other guitar when you change strings? Every guitar I've had needs some time for the strings to kind of "settle in". Hope that makes sense!

Other than the tuning, it's a cool guitar and sounds similar to some of my LP's when plugged in. The pick-ups are a little too hot for my taste but are much better with the output turned down a couple notches.

tzd

Reaction score
Is the ability to stay in tune on a guitar with a Floyd like any other guitar when you change strings?
If you have locked down the nut and the strings are in tune, they should stay in tune except for small adjustments with the fine tuner when temperature changes.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
If you have locked down the nut and the strings are in tune, they should stay in tune except for small adjustments with the fine tuner when temperature changes.
I re-tuned the guitar this morning and locked up the nut again. I played for 20 minutes or so and used the tremolo lightly and didn't have tuning issues. I seemed to only have issues yesterday if I went hard on the tremolo bar.

tzd

Reaction score
If it goes out of tune after using the tremolo hard, that means the bridge is not returning to its original position. You need to check if the knife-edge of the bridge plate is worn out.

Latest Threads